[PPE] Face sheilds: wire mesh vs. pc

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marc

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
So I'm thinking about going to a forestry style helmet system with an integrated face shield. I wear foam ear plugs, hard hat and polycarbonate wrap around safety glasses currently.

What are the pro's and cons of a wire mesh face shield vs. polycarbonate? PC would probably get dirtier faster, does anyone that owns one loose visiblity? Ever have fogging issues?

How is the visibility through a wire mesh face shield? I see a lot of sawyers flip them up to inspect a cut... but I've never used one so I don't know.

Thanks for the opinions.

I forget I'm even wearing the mesh shield. Works great until you spit your dip. :)

Ha! Well I won't have the dip problem, but I don't want to be wondering around with a huge loogie hanging off the bottom of my shield either. Duly noted, thanks. :laugh:

Until the sun starts setting, I don't notice any visibility issues with the wire mesh. It sure keeps a lot of wood chips out of my eyes!

When it's really cold out (in the single digits) the screen frosts up directly in front of my mouth. But, it's nothing that obstructs vision.

I prefer the mesh, but every so often if I'm cutting at a weird angle and putting out more dust than chips, it can get through. I started carrying around a pair of shop goggles with my kit.

Mesh all the way no fogging , teeth protection .

Well, I'd imagine a polycarbonate face shield of the same length would offer similar protection as a mesh sheild for one's teeth, no?

Just make sure you get one that flips up. There's a few of the cheaper units out there with mesh that just pops onto the helmet (ala a motorcyle visor). Mine has the hearing protectors and visor that both flip up and I like that ability.:clap: You'll be happy you got it. I was always using safety glasses and ear plugs till I went on a crew and you had to have it. It's a much better protection and the all in oneness is efficient. :greenchainsaw:

Just make sure you get one that flips up. There's a few of the cheaper units out there with mesh that just pops onto the helmet (ala a motorcyle visor). Mine has the hearing protectors and visor that both flip up and I like that ability.:clap: You'll be happy you got it. I was always using safety glasses and ear plugs till I went on a crew and you had to have it. It's a much better protection and the all in oneness is efficient. :greenchainsaw:

Thanks Zodiac. Hey, I haven't ever seen you competing at the Fryeburg Fair have I?

I forget I'm even wearing the mesh shield. Works great until you spit your dip.

I read this comment a while back and thought what a moron. Than couple weeks ago I bought me a husqvarna helmet system and everytime I've put it on I have spit into the mesh. I dont chew but will get a wood chip or something in my mouth and spit without even thinking bout the mesh in front. Guess that makes me the moron :dizzy:

Show me someone who uses the mesh and hasn't accidentally spit into it, or tried to raise a drink to his mouth through it, and I'll show you someone who doesn't wear it often! It becomes a part of you and you forget it is there! LOL

Yup on da flip up! I wear glasses so don't use my screen much unless I'm doing limbing and brush, I'm not overly fond of the full shields, the only one I tried kept fogging up (a PNW thing, damp, cool air mucks with them) and seemed to trap exhaust gasses more, so much prefer the mesh screen, no vision issues till dark as said above. If I'm cutting a bunch of dry stuff I like my UV wrap-around safety glasses too.

My 0.02$ worth, time ta grab the kid and hit the beach fer to bathe the dog (PU) :D

:cheers:

Serge

I forget I'm even wearing the mesh shield. Works great until you spit your dip. :)

Hereabouts we call it a "LUNGER" (pronounced "l u n g aa" ) . Anytime you cut below 15 F that lunger tends to freeze to a fat blob on the mesh. Get's the blood and words moving. BUT What the H is "dip" ????:dizzy: :confused: :givebeer: As in "dipsh_t" ?

BUT What the H is "dip" ????:dizzy: :confused: :givebeer: As in "dipsh_t" ?[/QUOTE said:
dip is chew, chew is pinch of snuff, pinch of snuff is chewing tobacco.....it's what i get to learn by goin to school LOL...Lord help me if i ever dipped (i dont) and mom found out

I have to agree about that though-spittin on the mesh....just did it tonight while blockin up wood...it stays in that mesh until it thaws out on a sunny day i have found LOL. The only thing i dont like about the mesh, as already stated above, is the fine dust factor...no way to get around it other than the saftey goggles

Little more than a week from today, it's been 3 years since I had a chew. Hardest thing I ever did, and still losing teeth because of it.

If you think spitting on your mesh is bad, getting into a fire at 3 in the morning then realizing that you didn't spit out your chew before you put your SCBA on is always fun. Nothing wakes you up like a big gulp of chew spit, other than accidentally grabbing the beer bottle that someone's used as a spitter and taking a couple big swigs. :cry:

dip is chew, chew is pinch of snuff, pinch of snuff is chewing tobacco.....it's what i get to learn by goin to school LOL...Lord help me if i ever dipped (i dont) and mom found out

dip is a pinch of snuff, chew is chewing tobacco...:givebeer:

Little more than a week from today, it's been 3 years since I had a chew. Hardest thing I ever did, and still losing teeth because of it.

If you think spitting on your mesh is bad, getting into a fire at 3 in the morning then realizing that you didn't spit out your chew before you put your SCBA on is always fun. Nothing wakes you up like a big gulp of chew spit, other than accidentally grabbing the beer bottle that someone's used as a spitter and taking a couple big swigs. :cry:

That's foul, but I bet clipping on the regulator and then realizing you never turned on your bottle wakes you up just as fast too. I've done that more than once... :laugh:

I have one of Baileys helmets with the mesh screen and muffs and realy like it, before I started using it every time I cut a pickup load of wood, my eyes would itch and water and get all blood shot. This new system has just about stopped that from happening. Only time I have trouble is on a windy day.

Around these parts the chew tucked behind the front lower lip is called Lip $hit.

When you see one of those heavey smokers hack up a big goobber and spit it out, we call that LUNGE BUTTER !:dizzy:

Carl

Latest posts

Back