PPE in your opinion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don’t think so, seems like Wesco offers it in caulk boots. On the same sort of topic you guys are ok with plastic hard hats?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My plastic echo hard hat saved my but once when a limb came out from an ash and hit me on the head. I feel any protection is better then none.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

My plastic echo hard hat saved my but once when a limb came out from an ash and hit me on the head. I feel any protection is better then none.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

I was thinking of a kick back of a spinning chain not much difference between that and the composite toed boots.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why not composite toed?
Chain will cut through composite toed boots i think.
I don’t think so, seems like Wesco offers it in caulk boots.

The 'safety toe' rating is for crush resistance, not cut resistance.

On the same sort of topic you guys are ok with plastic hard hats?
'Plastic' is broad term, including polyethylene up to ABS. But I can buy a basic, ANSI compliant, plastic hard hat helmet for under $10, and not feel bad about tossing it when its time to replace. Better 'plastic' helmets can be molded to provide side protection, and other features too; some are $140 !!!. Metal is hot / cold / noisy / dents and conducts electricity.

Philbert

The 'safety toe' rating is for crush resistance, not cut resistance.

'Plastic' is broad term, including polyethylene up to ABS. But I can buy a basic, ANSI compliant, plastic hard hat helmet for under $10, and not feel bad about tossing it when its time to replace. Better 'plastic' helmets can be molded to provide side protection, and other features too; some are $140 !!!. Metal is hot / cold / noisy / dents and conducts electricity.

Philbert

We had a good buddy well helping back fall(pound wedges) take a widow marker just like I did the hard hat didn’t with stand the hit like a metal one will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Source - Foot surgeon in my family.

1. If something is heavy enough to crush the steel toe to the point of amputating your toes, your toes are going to be amputated anyway.
2. They can save you from smaller injuries that could put you out of work or in great deals of daily pain

He says the myth that it's better to have crushed toes vs amputated toes from a steel toe boot is 100% false. First, he sees very few actual crushed steel toe footwear. Maybe a couple a year at most. He has never, ever, seen an injury from crushed steel toe that he felt the toes could have been otherwise saved had the user not worn steel toes. He does, however, see a TON of injuries that COULD have been 100% prevented by steel toe footwear. This man sees thousands of foot injuries a year...mostly industrial injuries.

Absolutely zero reason to not wear steel toed footwear. None.
Source - Foot surgeon in my family.

1. If something is heavy enough to crush the steel toe to the point of amputating your toes, your toes are going to be amputated anyway.
2. They can save you from smaller injuries that could put you out of work or in great deals of daily pain

He says the myth that it's better to have crushed toes vs amputated toes from a steel toe boot is 100% false. First, he sees very few actual crushed steel toe footwear. Maybe a couple a year at most. He has never, ever, seen an injury from crushed steel toe that he felt the toes could have been otherwise saved had the user not worn steel toes. He does, however, see a TON of injuries that COULD have been 100% prevented by steel toe footwear. This man sees thousands of foot injuries a year...mostly industrial injuries.

Absolutely zero reason to not wear steel toed footwear. None.
So hes a surgeon or an engineer?
A doctors opinion dont mean much to me in regards to my occupation.

Fact is steel toe amputations have happened. Regardless I got ten toes.
I did break the arch of my foot in a fall though.

Legit reasons to avoid 'steel' toes;

- there is no crush hazard (e.g. every day footwear);

- electrical conductivity (use composite protective toes instead);

- thermal conductivity (see above).

Chainsaw protective boots incorporate fibers similar to those used in chaps in the instep and along the sides. But many also have steel toes (I will post a link to the video).

Are those protective panties? Or do you refuse to wear a cup when playing sports too?

Philbert
How do you earn a living?
What I mean is... Are you anarmchair quarterback or do you climb?

How do you earn a living?
What I mean is... Are you anarmchair quarterback or do you climb?
Actually, I am a safety engineer, with degrees, and certifications, and 30+ years of experience in that area.
Been running chainsaws for 40+ years, mostly doing disaster / storm clean up for the past 20 or so years.
So, not just opinions that I am randomly pulling out of somewhere, without looking to see if they have any basis in fact.

Philbert

Actually, I am a safety engineer, with degrees, and certifications, and 30+ years of experience in that area.
Been running chainsaws for 40+ years, mostly doing disaster / storm clean up for the past 20 or so years.
So, not just opinions that I am randomly pulling out of somewhere, without looking to see if they have any basis in fact.

Philbert
I dont expect or recommend anyone do things my way.
I will continue to do them my way though.
I have figured out what works for me.

My biggest issue is glasses. I need them but they all fog and get sweat covered and glare. I get tired of digging sawdust outta my eyes.

Fact is steel toe amputations have happened. Regardless I got ten toes.
I did break the arch of my foot in a fall though.
I don't know of any 'Foot Engineers' so he's a surgeon.

A guy that has seen and treated tens of thousands of injuries directly related to myths that you're spewing on the internet is of no interest to you? That's fine, you wear whatever you're comfortable with. I couldn't possibly care less what footwear you choose. Try not to spread demonstrably false myths though.

Yes, toes have been severed by steel toes. That is not a reason to not wear steel toes. Just like it's true that people have died while wearing a seat belt. That's not a valid reason to tell others that it's a bad idea to wear a seat belt when it has been proven you are significantly more likely to survive any given crash with a seat belt than without.

I dont expect or recommend anyone do things my way.
I will continue to do them my way though.
I have figured out what works for me.

My biggest issue is glasses. I need them but they all fog and get sweat covered and glare. I get tired of digging sawdust outta my eyes.

Tried the 'bugeyes' style steel mesh kind? Keeps chunks out of your eyes without fogging up

I always wear eye protection after nearly losing an eye using a grinder with no ppe. Yes 3 months off work and permanent eye damage.. Thankfully I had a couple of really good surgeons put me back together so now I can see out the eye. And I always use hearing protection when running equipment. I just recently got chaps and a hard hat. Don't think the hard hat is necessary since I dont drop trees. But it has ear muffs and face screen attached.

I will not wear hearing protection.
Twice saved me from widow makers I didn't see that would have killed me.

I dont wear glasses.
Sweat screws them up and I risk not seeing things due to glare.
I do not wear chaps. Never have and never will.
Anythi g loose on me will get me in trouble.

Most timesI do not wear gloves.
More snag issues.
Steel toes cause amputations. Would much rather have crused toes.

I often climb in tennis shoes. Saves energy.

Helmet is ok in winter.

Truth is if its gonna kill me no amount of ppe will stop it unless I am wearing tony starks suit.
In which case... I got better stuff to do than saw or climb.
My helmet save my life this summer setting a rope in the tree from the ground when a dead piece broke loose and hit me. It knocked me to the ground, guaranteed death sentence or at least vegetable status if I wouldn't of had it on. I was sore for a week!

The longer you do tree work your chances of something happening increases even if you are safe and wear PPE, its not worth the risk to me plus I like wearing PPE.

My helmet save my life this summer setting a rope in the tree from the ground when a dead piece broke loose and hit me. It knocked me to the ground, guaranteed death sentence or at least vegetable status if I wouldn't of had it on. I was sore for a week!

The longer you do tree work your chances of something happening increases even if you are safe and wear PPE, its not worth the risk to me plus I like wearing PPE.
I got a few scars on my head.
Its partially my upbringing I suppose.
We all logged where I grew up.
None of us wore hard hats.
One sawyer that worked with me and my brother did but he had it for the face screen.

If I worked in pine though you can bet I would wear a helmet and hard hat constantly.

Latest posts

Back