PPE in your opinion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's clear that you enjoy being argumentative and provocative, but that does not make you any more correct than repeating a falsehood in an echo chamber, so I will likely drop off after this post.

You seem obsessed with one edge of a metal, cup-shaped protective device. If that scares you so much, consider the plastic / composite versions. Or metatarsal guards.
View attachment 788412
Your grandfather's anecdote, and the opinion of a mis-informed, former employer don't stack up well to researched engineering standards in dozens of countries, and hundreds of millions (billions?) of protected feet in workplaces.

Philbert
I know my game.
I wont wear them.
If you are getting upset you could just duck out. It seems to be a trend that you get upset in discussions when people dont agree with you.

my 1st 20 years working climbing tree life i wore shorts work boots ear muffs and that about it.. The next 20 years been more PPE from sun protection clothing eyes glasses, ear plugs chain saw pants or chaps gloves all the gear.

I not harmed or hurt myself much more than nicks cut bumps bruises.

I often suggested that climbing and chain sawing trees butt naked you'd be far more safer as mind focused concentration high and yet when you wear chaps and boots ppe you tend to get sloppy careless relying on the PPE to back you up..

Dunno its a balance thing,, some circumstances deem more ppe needed to cover and protect the unpredictable and some allow a bit of freedom flare and fun.. Just today i choose twice not to put on chaps as simple cut clean up then one task a fallen snagged tricky log i put on helmet chaps the full kits and worked it slow systematically let the crew know each dismantle move and the considered outcome..

please dont go sawing naked eh its just a hypothetical ok

I've started wearing a Stihl helmet/ear muff/screen face shield unit after decades of only using hearing protection when sawing. I was surprised at the coolness in hot conditions and overall comfort.
If you spend much time with a line trimmer in grass, the screen face shield is even better than safety glasses as there aren't lenses for the slung grass to stick to.

I wear a helmet when falling trees or cutting stuff above me. Always wear some form of glasses. Sometimes I wear ear protection. I avoid chaps like the plague. Sometimes I wear boots, I do have steel toes.

I’ve also been known to buck up some firewood at the house wearing gym shorts and flip flops...

I dont expect or recommend anyone do things my way.
I will continue to do them my way though.
I have figured out what works for me.

My biggest issue is glasses. I need them but they all fog and get sweat covered and glare. I get tired of digging sawdust outta my eyes.

You sound like the old me in some way. I used to only wear bandana on my head to wick up the sweat, A lot of it. That was why I never ever wear safety glasses while climbing. I tried all kinds of eye protective wear and even the one made of fine wire mesh instead of plastic. Everything changed since I first tried my KASK helmet with flip-up visor. I was first skeptical about wearing it in summer, but now I’m a changed man! I wear it from 10 degree in the winter to 95 degree with 80% humidity in the st. louis summer. I wear it from the moment I step out of the truck till back in at the end of the day. I just love it. It fit on my head very well and I barely ever notice it’s there. Another reason is that it gives me a more professional look in front of my clients and their neighbors. TRY IT AND I BET THAT YOU WILL LOVE IT TOO. Erwin

You sound like the old me in some way. I used to only wear bandana on my head to wick up the sweat, A lot of it. That was why I never ever wear safety glasses while climbing. I tried all kinds of eye protective wear and even the one made of fine wire mesh instead of plastic. Everything changed since I first tried my KASK helmet with flip-up visor. I was first skeptical about wearing it in summer, but now I’m a changed man! I wear it from 10 degree in the winter to 95 degree with 80% humidity in the st. louis summer. I wear it from the moment I step out of the truck till back in at the end of the day. I just love it. It fit on my head very well and I barely ever notice it’s there. Another reason is that it gives me a more professional look in front of my clients and their neighbors. TRY IT AND I BET THAT YOU WILL LOVE IT TOO. Erwin
Thx I will check one out

Back