Pre-Harvest Site Prep Work

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oakdancer

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi Guys, Need some info, I just taken on 34 ha of brashing in front of a harvester(brashing to shoulder height) I do this most years for feb and march , Question is does this type of work exist in the states or canada and if so what sort of price per hectare is involved, I bid £225.00 p/ha this year i dont know whether its cause i'm older but i find it extremely hard work and at 2500 trees to the ha monies not brilliant either, also its a recognised price here so the price stays the same:( , anyway just wondered if it happens out there, Cheers Graham

Sorry, Brashing shoulder height means taking off the lower branches from ground level to shoulder height within a s/spruce plantation (age of trees are 40 years) so the harvester can grab a clean stem. Graham

Hi Graham, I cant say I have heard of this practice during a harvest with mechanical processors.
I know it is done during stand improvement though, also known as pruning.
I guess I dont understand why the processor needs only logger branches removed to shoulder height when it has to remove upper ones mechanicaly anyway.
I used to hand fall, limb, cut to length and pile 8' Red and White Pine at 20$/crd., but I am glad those days are over. I have scares from the pulp hook to commemorate the event.
Anyway, however it goes, work safely and enjoy the day and surroundings.
John

Hi John , The reason for brashing shoulder height is so the harvester can grip the tree and start feeding with an easy run ...the forestry commission who we do this work for thought it would improve production and its probably true, but it also decreases life expectancy in the chainsaw operator.......roll on March...:rolleyes: Graham.

If you need to cut a lot of branches to shoulder height why not just get some short stick power pole saws? I know that echo makes some, and I am sure that other companies make them. they are chain saw heads on sticks maybe 3' long? The only problem I could see you as having with that would be carrying around the gas / oil. Over here we will do crown raising, however I don't believe people do what you are talking about.

You guys must have different trees...no doubt about it...our feller bunchers here...just go in and cut the trees...no such thing as pre-limbing....not to say to say it wouldnt speed the process....but just no need....are the bunchers there made by Craftsman?

-How come we choose from just two people to run for president and 50 for Miss America?

probably the same craftsmen who make your harvesters Treeman, ie: Timberjack etc etc etc...just west coast trees dont grow so clean but anyway dont matter now , leavin the business. catch you later, Graham

Back