Precision cutting a downed trunk

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlanicek

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Not sure how to phrase the question or if this is the correct sub.

I have a large tree down, the base of the trunk is about 24". I have it cut into pieces, but I want to make the cuts square with each other, to use 2' section or so as seats.

Is there a quick way or trade secret to cutting each end so they are square with each other? I was thinking of maybe a makeshift cradle or something?

Thanks!

ETA: I have a 18" Husky 455 Rancher. No mill or anything.

The quick way and trade secret would be a processor that cuts logs. Just don't split the piece.

How about drill a couple of holes in the bar say 4 inches and 6 inches from the end then lag bolt a 2x4 two feet long to the bar. Put your good seat surface down on a concrete slab and go around cutting in say 3 inches. Finish in some other fashion perhaps angling in a bit so the part that is in the middle is a bit shorter making rocking less likely or fine tuning somewhat easier.

There's gotta be a trick, but you could just make a square cut by eye and then just measure and mark the next cut all around to wing it.

you might have to reject one or two.

they don't really have to be perfect to be decent seats

Back