Preserving a Cedar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snorider

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello folks, I had a 100' tall cedar tree taken down on my land for our new house. I was hoping to build something useful with the cedar at some point, but I have no idea what...or how at this point. Is there a way to preserve the tree for later milling? I cant imagine leaving it sit on the ground exposed to the elements would be very good for it. I was thinking of trying to lay it on some blocking underneath a carport thing but...thought I would ask. How quick do I need to get on this? Is the tree going to be ruined super quickly if not protected right away?

Paint the ends now. Anchor seal is the "ideal" for this, but you can use any old can of latex paint (put it on thick) to slow down how quickly moisture moves out of the ends. The get it up off of the ground. I'd be less concerned about covering it.

Why not get it milled now?

I don't know what to get it milled in to cause I don't know what I am going to do with it. Also...funds are pretty limited right now as we build the house.

We don't bother with sealing the ends. At worst there is 6-8" of "cull" at the end of the board, but it's about that from when it was cut with the buncher anyhow. I suppose maybe depends on the environment and the tree species?

We don't bother with sealing the ends. At worst there is 6-8" of "cull" at the end of the board, but it's about that from when it was cut with the buncher anyhow. I suppose maybe depends on the environment and the tree species?
Certainly depends on both. I am not familiar enough with the western cedars... Seattle will have a higher RH, so checking will be less than if the same log were in NV, for example. However, it is cheap and simple enough - especially for 1 log, why not? just to be on the safe side.

I don't know what to get it milled in to cause I don't know what I am going to do with it. Also...funds are pretty limited right now as we build the house.
The "common" thing would be getting it milled into 4/4 planks. However, if you think you want something thicker, that is obviously lost as soon as you do 4/4...

4/4 logs? How long do you guys think I could go letting it sit there?

Certainly depends on both. I am not familiar enough with the western cedars... Seattle will have a higher RH, so checking will be less than if the same log were in NV, for example. However, it is cheap and simple enough - especially for 1 log, why not? just to be on the safe side.

Yeah, we bring in saw logs by the log truck load, so a bit different. Generally they stay 35-45ft tree length until ready to turn to lumber.

Have some poplar we are going through now, for both firewood and saw logs that has been in decks since 2013. Still in good shape, which I'm surprised.
Everyone says it'll rot in a year.

35-45' is what I have. I have (I think) 4 logs. 2 of the logs are over 24" and the other two are 18". Ive been trying to get a value on it but...not as easy as it seems.

Back