Pressure washer issue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just bought a belt drive pressure washer that has a Honda GX390 and a General Pump TS1811 pump on it. The pump gives out around 3500 psi and 4.5 GPM.

I've ran the motor and is runs fine but had several leaks (busted hose, and loose connections). I finally got everything fixed and was about to start it today but when I had the water on..the engine wouldn't turn over due to the excess pressure on the pump. I had to turn the water off and then fire up the motor but once I turned the water on...the motor stalled.

What could cause this? Stuck valves or what?

Thanks

Most likely the unloaded valve is stuck closed. Had this happen on my little pressure washer. Had to tear it apart and get it freed up. It should be where you adjust the pressure, under the knob. Simple enough job, make sure theres no dirt in any of the little ports.
That's what I was thinking but I can't find the thing anywhere.

The best I can tell is it's this here
20210119_091223.jpg

I'm a bit more used to seeing them built on the pump, but the mfg page you linked has a lot of regulator options, so I'm 90% sure that would be where your issue is.

Here it is. How do I know if it works? I loosened the bottom up and removed the nuts and then all of the washers. The shaft is moving up and down and then spins freely.

I'm wondering if the adjustment was just too tight?

Attachments

• 20210121_235950.jpg
    20210121_235950.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 5
Here it is. How do I know if it works? I loosened the bottom up and removed the nuts and then all of the washers. The shaft is moving up and down and then spins freely.

I'm wondering if the adjustment was just too tight?
Could be, I had to remove the plunger on mine, some dirt plugged up a small passage internally.

FYI even with the unloader working properly you should blip the handle trigger and relieve pressure right before starting it

So I got it sort of working..but the unloader was leaking because I needed to tighten it more. Well I tightened it too much and then it wanted to stall the engine again.

I just went ahead and ordered the new style unloader valve with the twist knob and have a pressure gauge on the way to dial in the pressure.

Back