Price for facecord of firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it's pretty easy math around here....4'x8'x16" is a rick.....if the guy sellin' it cuts it at say 18" to 20" the buyin' it gets a deal and the buyer will say nothin'....but if it's at 14" they scream like a mashed cat!!!....

$140/face cord, 1/3cord, mixed hardwood but contains at least 50% oak, hickory or locust, in the Milwaukee area, from well respected, year-round firewood businesses.
Many folks might bristle at the regional measurement, but there are 30yr old companies using the measure, and they have a consistent, verifiable definition of the amount, day in and day out, in racks at their establishments. Really, a face cord is 43cuft rounded up, or 32sqft by an accepted 16in length of cut. It's simple math really.

Anyway, this post is directly related to the OP.

as quoted by wdchuck, in post #28.."a face cord is 43cuft rounded up, or 32sqft by an accepted 16" lengths of cut." STACKED WOOD!!

" YUPP" YOUR RIGHT ? I AM GUESSING THEN THAT 16" LENGTHS DOES MAKE A DIFF ON MEASUREING A 32 SQ.FT FACE .....:popcorn::monkey:

Face has no meaning to me in terms of firewood and is not allowed legally as is rick or any measurement that is not expressed in cord or fractions of a cord cubic foot volume cubic meters volume. It does not mean some don't try selling it by all sorts of different names to mislead public. If all these would conform to true cords the price would surely be higher than 150.00 per cord it fetches here. Many here are selling it 4 by 16 foot stack and calling it a cord but in 16" lengths it is 4 by 24 foot. I will say 24" wood is less labor to produce and imho stoves should be made to burn 24" wood standard, I believe in efficiency and that includes labor.

true to your words!! :agree2: the only problem with todays wood size is the wood stoves are made to take smaller pieces to make it easier for the people to handle... most of the wood i sell, people dont want 16" !! but as soon as i dont proccess it at that length everyone will want it that way?? so imho i will keep it at 16" to possible not have to make it shorter in the future ???? lol i love repete customers for the long run.................. bottom line, a cord is a cord and a rick is a rick theres only 1 measure that is true !!! :cheers:

Anywhere from $60 to $120 for 1\3 cord. There isn't a whole lot of consistency among the firewood sellers around here. I've only found 1 who knows what a true measured cord is and if you try to explain to them that their " cord" is only about 1\3 of a cord, you might as well kick their dog too!

true to your words!! :agree2: the only problem with todays wood size is the wood stoves are made to take smaller pieces to make it easier for the people to handle... most of the wood i sell, people dont want 16" !! but as soon as i dont proccess it at that length everyone will want it that way?? so imho i will keep it at 16" to possible not have to make it shorter in the future ???? lol i love repete customers for the long run.................. bottom line, a cord is a cord and a rick is a rick theres only 1 measure that is true !!! :cheers:
Mine only handles a 24" log:
WoodStove2007b.jpg

Federal Airtight 288. Still a good stove.

Back