Price for Used central boiler 5036

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihl63

Reaction score
I had an accident and am going to be getting rid of my Central Boiler 5036. It is year 2011 and I have always taken great care of it. It looks pretty much new. I am trying to figure out a good price for it and I am thinking around $4k - $4.5k. Any thoughts or maybe some people close to northern Indiana that would be interested? Thanks

I had an accident and am going to be getting rid of my Central Boiler 5036. It is year 2011 and I have always taken great care of it. It looks pretty much new. I am trying to figure out a good price for it and I am thinking around $4k - $4.5k. Any thoughts or maybe some people close to northern Indiana that would be interested? Thanks
My dad is near Fort Wayne. Been trying to talk him to one. That model, if new, can no longer be used residentially.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Really hope your ok.

I have a 5036 and absolutely love it, it's been a great boiler so far.

Really hope your ok.

I have a 5036 and absolutely love it, it's been a great boiler so far.

Thanks I appreciate it. It’s a nagging injury I've had from a felling accident a few years back. I really wish I could keep the boiler, my family loves the heat and I love the savings.

I have a 5036 for sale if anyone is interested. $3000 like new nothing wrong just switching over to GEO Thermal , getting to old to cut wood.

@Stihl63 hope you're okay, been a while since you've been around.

I was curious how many cord you guys who own this model burn thru and what size home garage you're heating with them.
Also are there any specific items to look at when buying a used one and would you advise buying a used one.
Thanks.

I have the 6048, it’s slightly larger than the model above. I estimate that I burn around 10 cord a year and heat a 3,700 sq ft house. In addition, I get domestic hot water out of it too. That is a huge savings with 5 people in the house that include 2 teenagers.
i would look for any kind of weld cracks or leakage spots (rust) around the any welded areas. I have had great luck with mine (knock on wood). They can be had on Craigslist; I’ve seem them multiple times at a very reasonable price.
If you do decide to purchase one, get the best insulated pex. I already had to redo mine because the dealer talked me into the cheaper pex because they didn’t have the good stuff in stock. Good luck!
https://centralboiler.com/products/classic/

I have the 6048, it’s slightly larger than the model above. I estimate that I burn around 10 cord a year and heat a 3,700 sq ft house. In addition, I get domestic hot water out of it too. That is a huge savings with 5 people in the house that include 2 teenagers.
i would look for any kind of weld cracks or leakage spots (rust) around the any welded areas. I have had great luck with mine (knock on wood). They can be had on Craigslist; I’ve seem them multiple times at a very reasonable price.
If you do decide to purchase one, get the best insulated pex. I already had to redo mine because the dealer talked me into the cheaper pex because they didn’t have the good stuff in stock. Good luck!
https://centralboiler.com/products/classic/
Thanks for the response.
I've heard the same for many yrs now in regards to the good pex, I have a connection locally I'd need to contact(haven't talk in a bit), he was getting all sorts of 100' sections off the distributor )his friend) for about half price. Since we have very hard water, I was planning to run a coolant that wouldn't freeze and wouldn't evaporate(if I get one lol), from what I've read it also helps with corrosion.
I saw the steel had titanium in it for the firebox, wonder if that takes any special rod to weld. The one I'm looking at is from 2005 or so, maybe they didn't have that in them then.
10 cord isn't bad to heat all that, I use 3.5 in my indoor wood burner and heat nearly 100% with it. We use a few bags of pellets a yr if it gets real cold, the last few yrs it's just been a bag to make sure everything is still working and it's all kept moving.
I want to build a pole building down the rd so that's part of why I'm considering a boiler.

I was on my local craigslist yesterday and saw a few for sale for around 5 grand. Not a bad price at all. I think I paid around 10 for mine.
I estimated that it paid for itself after about 5 years. Well worth the investment. It sounds lime you are used to the work so I would go for it. Might be worth starting a new thread either here or the other side to get more feed back. A lot of folks don’t respond to older/inactive threads. Good luck!!

I was on my local craigslist yesterday and saw a few for sale for around 5 grand. Not a bad price at all. I think I paid around 10 for mine.
I estimated that it paid for itself after about 5 years. Well worth the investment. It sounds lime you are used to the work so I would go for it. Might be worth starting a new thread either here or the other side to get more feed back. A lot of folks don’t respond to older/inactive threads. Good luck!!
The one I found is older, but if the fireboxes hold up then it seems to be a fair deal.
It would technically take me a good bit longer to pay it off because I already heat with wood so my savings would only be one 24 gallon tank of propane every other month. I could add some heat to the basement, which would give me a more usable space down there, but the extra 6 or so cord is money I'd be throwing away. If this was when I started burning and made the decision to go with an indoor unit rather than the OWB or geothermal, I'd probably go with the OWB, at the time I didn't have the ability to gather as much wood efficiently and I didn't want to be a slave to gathering wood. Even now that I have the ability and resources that's still the one thing that makes me question getting one.
Do these units have the ability to be run off 12 volts.

You gonna help me fix it if it breaks :cheers:.
I sold that last zero turn, now I need to find another lol.
As I've said many times, OWB's are not for everyone and you have to want to do it. But you do recognize the work firewood takes so it's a choice for you to make. It would provide a source of heat for that new barn I've heard so much about.

Heck, you probably have half a season in cookies from testing saws. And if you put on something besides flip flops you won't have to burn as much wood to stay warm. :laughing: But I'm happy to come over to drink beer until we fix it if it breaks... or don't care if it gets fixed, whichever comes first.

The one I found is older, but if the fireboxes hold up then it seems to be a fair deal.
It would technically take me a good bit longer to pay it off because I already heat with wood so my savings would only be one 24 gallon tank of propane every other month. I could add some heat to the basement, which would give me a more usable space down there, but the extra 6 or so cord is money I'd be throwing away. If this was when I started burning and made the decision to go with an indoor unit rather than the OWB or geothermal, I'd probably go with the OWB, at the time I didn't have the ability to gather as much wood efficiently and I didn't want to be a slave to gathering wood. Even now that I have the ability and resources that's still the one thing that makes me question getting one.
Do these units have the ability to be run off 12 volts.
Would it be possible to build a pole building in such a way that an indoor unit could be used effectively? I went through this decision process more than once with the most recent being last summer. I'm looking at having to replace my current add-on wood furnace in the next few years. Every time I look into it, and OWB is never cost effective for me. The draw backs are always the same. They require more wood per sq ft that I'm heating, they are more expensive to purchase and install, and the don't last NEARLY as long. If I amortize the cost of purchasing and installing an OWB out over 20 years, it would be enough to pay for my heating bill. The indoor units are 1/2 the cost (or less), more efficient, and last 2x to 10x longer. Obviously they won't work for everyone, but if you haven't built it yet, maybe there are some things you could do that would make it possible.

Back