Prices

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd like to get into the business of selling green wood, but for the price of seasoned wood in these parts the margin would have to be pretty slim to compete.
quantity! is the answer my friend, double cords in one shot delivery... easier to get hold of and don't need to hang on to but for the delivery time with one drop!! green has to be handled to many times to make a dry premium product to profit greatly! "time is money", someone once said... "IF", you can do three cords a day as a small producer of wood an put one green to the side for later sales when dry? "DO IT"... extra time is money in the bank!

I would like to sell like my local guys. These guys have it figured out, I'm not being sarcastic. Truck you already drive, same saw. Difference is I would hand split. Only soft maple and oak. Fell it, buck it, walk down it smacking it with the Fiskars, flying open with one hit. The first time you touch it is to throw it directly in the truck. Loose. The second and final time you touch it is with your boot as you're kicking it into their driveway. Head back home. No inventory, no handling, rehandling, and rehandling again. Stacking? Nope. No money invested. Any profit is yours. You want dry wood? Cut your own or buy in the summer. Next.

I would like to sell like my local guys. These guys have it figured out, I'm not being sarcastic. Truck you already drive, same saw. Difference is I would hand split. Only soft maple and oak. Fell it, buck it, walk down it smacking it with the Fiskars, flying open with one hit. The first time you touch it is to throw it directly in the truck. Loose. The second and final time you touch it is with your boot as you're kicking it into their driveway. Head back home. No inventory, no handling, rehandling, and rehandling again. Stacking? Nope. No money invested. Any profit is yours. You want dry wood? Cut your own or buy in the summer. Next.

You can try doing that but when the wood doesn't burn you can forget about repeat business. Also once people find out you sell seasoned wood, those guys will be out of business.

I figured out one way to raise price per delivery -- load up a trailer that holds more than a truckload and raise the price $30 to $50 per delivery. That bumps your profit margin also because the truck has less wear and tear and about the same amount of fuel is required. Around here I can find decent 5 x 8 trailers for under a grand that can easily carry over a ton. The loaded truck plus the full trailer can deliver a full cord.

You can try doing that but when the wood doesn't burn you can forget about repeat business. Also once people find out you sell seasoned wood, those guys will be out of business.

That's more or less how I do it, I have tons of repeat customers, and more new customers than I have time for. Been moving 10-15 cords a week since August.

After many many years of trying to be more than fair with my customers it appears to me that I was selling myself short, Here people do not stay here for more than ten years on average. Most sellers here most likely sell a half a cord as a full delivery and charge at least $200 plus and most of the time it is a mixture of whatever they can find or scrounge. So this year no matter what have been increasing my prices to reflect on what it takes to come up with quality firewood at a decent volume. Thanks

That's more or less how I do it, I have tons of repeat customers, and more new customers than I gave time for. Been moving 10-15 cords a week since August.
I guess it's a different type of customer you have, maybe more for heating rather than fireplaces and fire pits. Fresh cut oak doesn't burn until it's seasoned and that is 95% what I have and what my customers demand.

I deliver to more fireplace, fire pit, and supplemental heat people than I do stove heat people and almost none of them will pay a premium for oak. Which makes sense to me. I'm only so fond of oak myself because I heat with wood and it makes my life easier.

I deliver to more fireplace, fire pit, and supplemental heat people than I do stove heat people and almost none of them will pay a premium for oak. Which makes sense to me. I'm only so fond of oak myself because I heat with wood and it makes my life easier.
?? then why complain?? if you are happy where your at in your venture, then you should be home and free...

Well it's pretty simple, my stockpile is predominantly oak, well seasoned, a premium product. I would prefer to have a market that appreciates a premium product and is willing to pay for it. I don't understand what's complicated about this concept. If Ferrari builds a car they don't want to compete with Honda in price point because their product is superior.

I deal with only oak as well, that is what my customers want and they are willing to pay for it. I deliver to more fireplace and fire pit people as well and that is great, new woodstoves really need 15% moisture content firewood to run perfect and firewood that dry needs at least two drying seasons. Also people that are heating with wood use it for a "Money Savings" instead of traditional heat so they need quite a bit to fuel that stove over an entire winter. The other drawback for me is selling multiple cords in one shot to one person, they always want a discount to buy more. Thankfully I'm busy enough that I don't have to do discounts. I still bust my butt working after hours, doing crazy tight deliveries in the city, waiting for people to move their vehicles from one lane tight city streets, stacking out full cords, etc. I walked into the house last night after getting back from the city at 11pm but I like it.

Just had two guys show up to pick up a 1/4 cord of firewood. They must do math different where they're from, or use uniquely special crafted firewood tape measures.
I have to get me one of those.....
They drove up in a very new, sporty looking BMW station wagon, and said we've done this before in Chicago.
Well, your not in Chicago...and it weighs about a 1,000 pounds.
Neither one of these guys were over five feet tall and could see over the top of the pallet.
I like delivering a pallet at a time.
IMG_3628.jpg

I have kept track of my hourly profit very closely in the past. There are so many factors to be considered for me though because it's not always done the same way or I should say wood isn't always acquired in the same fashion. Also, I have been hiring out more and more of the splitting duties to teenagers I can find. Some of them work out well and some not so much. Long story short, it's enough an hour to keep going but not enough to quit my day job.

yes! it is real simple.. when you sell a load and you make a payday then its a profit! if you sell a load and don't make a profit then it's not a payday !! cant get any more simple then that....
What is the true cost of a cord of firewood delivered to someones house? (not what they pay for it, what it really cost in time, material, and all inclusive miscellaneous expenses)

That 'cost' will vary for each of us of course...
Do you buy logs?
Did you pay for a web site?
Do you sell seasoned wood? (more handling)
Dedicated truck or trailer, or personal use weekend warrior?
Insured?
Time per cord?
Clean up time, or cut in woods?
Equipment investment?
Equipment maintenance?
Sales tax?
Compliance of state and local regulations?
Land use... buy, rent, borrow?

Latest posts

Back