Private land harvest questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As said in posts#2/3 If you divide the area & coppice sections you can return & re harvest with knowledge you can harvest from the same trees for a 100 years or more
Yup. We would rather get a certain acreage cut now and then I would selectively cut the rest as we need it (firewood, wood to get milled, etc)

For some reason coppice farming is not very successful here, very high % of hollow trees has been my observation

Coppicing as a harvest method is not a one-and-done. Some species coppice very well (lookin' at you, maple) and others not at all (pine family) and everybody else is along a continuum somewhere. Even in a species that does readily grow back from stump shoots, if you want good wood later, you will have to tend those trees. The stump of the earlier tree is a big scar and a vector for disease. Not all shoots are created equally. You'll want to seal the stump and prune back all but the best shoots, keeping in mind that the first couple of feet of the future butt log will almost certainly be defective due to some combination of sweep and rot. That said, it's silly not to take advantage of this ability in species that will regenerate this way. Do your homework, and then do the tending, and you'll be fine.

I'm curious about your LiDAR data. Raw point cloud? CHM? DEM? Derived hillshade? Will you be analyzing the data yourself, or will somebody else be? Who did the flight, and how much did it cost? What's the resolution?

I, uh, get pretty jazzed about new datasets, sorry not sorry.

What does those acronyms mean?
We use quite a bit of data from aerial lidar in our GIS-programs at the company I work for. I find that the data is very good at measuring tree height and volume (per area, we use hectar) but not very good on basal area or basal area mean diameter. It's not very good at identifying tree species or the number of trees per area.
Our latest version of hillshade is amazing though.

CHM = Canopy Height Model
DEM = Digital Elevation Model

These models are derived as absolute values from first returns (CHM) and last returns (DEM) so heights of things are the difference between these models. Hillshade is a graphical representative of an elevation raster, and does not include any of the embedded cell data. Raw point cloud is exactly that: the raw data that all of these other models are derived from.

BA is also a derived value but it requires extra field validation. Our data has shown itself to be robust and useful.

Species and per-area count can be inferred a bunch of ways: crown shape, color (from airphoto), summer flight-winter flight raster math, or existing stand, soils, reforestation, and hydrology layers. Field validation always has the final say.

I am at the other end of the world near the sea shore, one hundred miles above the ocean.
We have short needle pines & we had to have fifteen acres just to get the man to harvest.

I am at the other end of the world near the sea shore, one hundred miles above the ocean.
We have short needle pines & we had to have fifteen acres just to get the man to harvest.
different markets different problems, as I understand, there was a great deal of pine planted for the pulp market, then the pulp market turned into emails, so now all that cash crop is just about worthless.

easily covered by lumber waste. without newspapers, magazines, letters, etc etc the pulp market tanked, still hasn't really recovered. Even around here a load of pulp logs barely covers trucking. And prices are up recently.
It has been four years, but I got $1000.00 an acre for tree that I wanted to remove & most of the stumps are got also.
I do not know what that is where you are but that was real good for here.

It has been four years, but I got $1000.00 an acre for tree that I wanted to remove & most of the stumps are got also.
I do not know what that is where you are but that was real good for here.
depends, but right now your looking at $5000-7000 per acre, much much more if its cedar. Double that if you do it yourself.

Back