Pro mac 10-10

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaygettinstarted

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Just got an old pro mac 10-10 for $15. Did a basic clean uo on it and it runs pretty nice. How do you date the pro mac 10-10's? And whats a rough value? 20210618_081050.jpg20210618_081038.jpg

Doesn't say electric ignition on the air filter so its a early version of the later 10-10 . 78'?
Rough value 25$ bucks because you cleaned a 15$ saw.
Just kidding, a nice one can go for a $100.0 but who knows what morons would pay on the interwebs.
Thanks for the info. Im just getting into the chainsaw world. Its a decent vintage saw forf a beginner i believe. It was nice and easy to take apart and see the inner workings. And with just a nice, thorough clean-up, a new $4 fuel filter, and some new gas it runs really nice, and almost has a modified exhaust sound compared to modern saws i own. Its loud! Lol. Again thanks for the info. Even $25 is more than i have into it!

Im a sucker for the 10 series macs. In my opinion they are great saws. Sure, a little heavier that today’s saws and you always hear people gripe about how loud they are. But look around and try to find a stock 54cc saw from any other manufacturer that pulls a 28” bar like a Mac.
You can’t and you won’t. Heck, they won’t even recommend their 54cc saws to pull a 24” bar. And in my opinion, if a saw that size can’t pull a 24, let alone a 28, then it isn’t worth what Stihl or Husky charge for them.
Not to mention a yellow saw makes your firewood burn at least twice as long compared to being cut with any other color.
Keep it, run it, and use it. Learn how to file your chains and she will eat whatever you throw at it. Finding old saws and making them run is fun and rewarding. Just start making space in the garage. You don’t think it becomes an addiction, but it will.
Have fun with it. Those little pro macs are hungry little
girls. You own a very very good saw.

Im a sucker for the 10 series macs. In my opinion they are great saws. Sure, a little heavier that today’s saws and you always hear people gripe about how loud they are. But look around and try to find a stock 54cc saw from any other manufacturer that pulls a 28” bar like a Mac.
You can’t and you won’t. Heck, they won’t even recommend their 54cc saws to pull a 24” bar. And in my opinion, if a saw that size can’t pull a 24, let alone a 28, then it isn’t worth what Stihl or Husky charge for them.
Not to mention a yellow saw makes your firewood burn at least twice as long compared to being cut with any other color.
Keep it, run it, and use it. Learn how to file your chains and she will eat whatever you throw at it. Finding old saws and making them run is fun and rewarding. Just start making space in the garage. You don’t think it becomes an addiction, but it will.
Have fun with it. Those little pro macs are hungry little
girls. You own a very very good saw.
Thanks GoBigRed. Im enjoying the saw except the paint bubbled off inside the gas tank. But i fixed it and still running strong. Also just got a Sears Sportster Lightweight for $20. 61cc. Lighter than the pro mac with more power. Both fun, good running saws. Sears has no chsin brake so it can be a tad dangerous but its a ripper!!

Thanks GoBigRed. Im enjoying the saw except the paint bubbled off inside the gas tank. But i fixed it and still running strong. Also just got a Sears Sportster Lightweight for $20. 61cc. Lighter than the pro mac with more power. Both fun, good running saws. Sears has no chsin brake so it can be a tad dangerous but its a ripper!!
There is nothing dangerous about a chainsaw that doesn’t have a chain brake. The only thing dangerous is the operator. Chain brakes are a liability device because people don’t or won’t learn about their tools. Learn what causes kickback, learn the dynamics of why it happens, learn how to avoid it and those situations, keep yourself on the ball with what you are cutting, and it never becomes an issue.

A power saw is a tool, and nobody would ever take a screw driver and stick it in their eye. So why would a saw operator ever put themselves in a kickback situation and stick a bar and chain in their face? If they do, Its because they didnt know the what and why about how it happens.

There are a few videos out there that explain kickback and why awareness of your surroundings and your cuts are more important than relying on a crutch. And you will learn why it happens and how you can keep yourself out of those situations

so teach yourself about cutting and repairing and get those saws running and in some wood. I don’t know what it is but I just love being out in the woods, finding deadfall, and bucking and splitting wood. And making stumps is a kick in the butt also

All things considered I'd argue these were the greatest 54-59cc saw ever made. $15 was a steal. Spend some time in the McCulloch Chainsaws sticky thread, these saws are still everywhere and are notorious for being dead reliable.

I have a Remington Rodeo RM 5118R and the gears in the auto oiler are made of plastic and stripped out so no bar oil obviously. They were made by MTD i believe and the saw runs freat besides that! Anyone know where to get replacement parts? Or is there a different solution that some one knows of? I really like this saw

All things considered I'd argue these were the greatest 54-59cc saw ever made. $15 was a steal. Spend some time in the McCulloch Chainsaws sticky thread, these saws are still everywhere and are notorious for being dead reliable.
Yes. Exactly what macattack said. Yellow saws matter...more than any other

Fingers crossed. I have a homelite cs-50 that took a while to get going. You’ll find a pump eventually
Im goin to look at 2 homelites today. One is an XL, and the other is a Super2. Guy says they run just need carb adjustment. Get em both for $30. Sounded like a deal to me? Fingers crossed here too! Lol

Im goin to look at 2 homelites today. One is an XL, and the other is a Super2. Guy says they run just need carb adjustment. Get em both for $30. Sounded like a deal to me? Fingers crossed here too! Lol
Good little saws. Having a top handle is a great idea. The only thing I don’t like about the later model homelite top handles is the trigger location. They moved it from the front to the middle of the handle and it’s a little more challenging to saw with it using one hand. It can be done but not the best climbing saw because of that.
The things to be aware of is the oiling system on the as the hose routing for the oil pump can get jacked up either way, plenty of info on them.
For homelites check out Leon’s chainsaw repair on YouTube. It’s mainly all he does and each job he puts out a video explaining what’s going on. Great resource

Good little saws. Having a top handle is a great idea. The only thing I don’t like about the later model homelite top handles is the trigger location. They moved it from the front to the middle of the handle and it’s a little more challenging to saw with it using one hand. It can be done but not the best climbing saw because of that.
The things to be aware of is the oiling system on the as the hose routing for the oil pump can get jacked up either way, plenty of info on them.
For homelites check out Leon’s chainsaw repair on YouTube. It’s mainly all he does and each job he puts out a video explaining what’s going on. Great resource
Thanks for the info. On my way to get them as we speak. Ill post pics later

Thanks for the info. On my way to get them as we speak. Ill post pics later
Things to look for are the cover for the choke and air filter. And making sure the air filter cage is present and in tact. They can be a pain to find but not expensive when they show up.
Once you get them home they seem a little odd to get to the engine but watch one of Leon’s videos and it isn’t too bad. At the very least I’m sure you can make one good saw from the two. It’s just a good little saw with plenty of power for limbing or even a decent little camp saw.
The other thing to look at is the fuel cap. If the cap has a primer bulb on it you want to ensure it works. Those are not easy to find and are kinda expensive (relatively speaking) for what they are. I like the ones that have the primer on the bar side of the saw, but there are different configurations. They made one that had oil flow control on that side. That is the one I had but converted it to a primer bulb instead.
And don’t worry about the bars. If you get in this game you will start learning how to modify and make bars fit your saw. Right now I have a bar from a Stihl ms170 on my super 2 homelite and just had to make a small spacer.
Saws are just cool. I can’t explain it but there is nothing more peaceful than going in the garage, playing some music, and working on a machine. Enjoy the ride. I’ve found that saw repair just gets better and better.

Things to look for are the cover for the choke and air filter. And making sure the air filter cage is present and in tact. They can be a pain to find but not expensive when they show up.
Once you get them home they seem a little odd to get to the engine but watch one of Leon’s videos and it isn’t too bad. At the very least I’m sure you can make one good saw from the two. It’s just a good little saw with plenty of power for limbing or even a decent little camp saw.
The other thing to look at is the fuel cap. If the cap has a primer bulb on it you want to ensure it works. Those are not easy to find and are kinda expensive (relatively speaking) for what they are. I like the ones that have the primer on the bar side of the saw, but there are different configurations. They made one that had oil flow control on that side. That is the one I had but converted it to a primer bulb instead.
And don’t worry about the bars. If you get in this game you will start learning how to modify and make bars fit your saw. Right now I have a bar from a Stihl ms170 on my super 2 homelite and just had to make a small spacer.
Saws are just cool. I can’t explain it but there is nothing more peaceful than going in the garage, playing some music, and working on a machine. Enjoy the ride. I’ve found that saw repair just gets better and better.
Awesome advice GoBigRed! And i find it peaceful and fun too so far

Back