Pro mac 10-10

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaygettinstarted

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Just got an old pro mac 10-10 for $15. Did a basic clean uo on it and it runs pretty nice. How do you date the pro mac 10-10's? And whats a rough value? 20210618_081050.jpg20210618_081038.jpg

Sorry I missed this. On the road all day taking a trip with my sons

so do both saws have a throttle trigger at the front of the handle? Old homelites of this style with a metal body had that design. The later model plastic bodies saws have the trigger further back on the handle. Not sure why they did that because it takes away the function of it being a top handle saw

it looks like yours have the forward trigger so you can use your pointer finger while holding the saw closer to the front. If that is the case, I think these are great limbing saws and very useful when climbing.
Mine has the trigger further back and it’s kind of a pain to operate when holding it like a true top handle.

Nope they both have the trigger farther back. The Super2 has thrigger lock. The XL is older i believe because it has a metal toggle switch for run-stop. I also had an XL LittleRed given to me yesterday for free. And it has an oiler control dial on the bar side, but is built exactly like the Super2 that i just bought. My old XL runs bar oil out LIKE CRAZY!!!! For some time after i shut the saw down too! Any idea how to slow that down? I know too much is better than too little but its excessive! Lol. The closest saw is the one that was given to me. Seems like the nicest of the 3 to me? Ill post pics of the newest one and the serial numbers if thatll help with anything?

Heres some pics of all three saws and serial numbers. The top picture in each group is the saw that was given to me. (For cleaning up a Stihl MS 361) The bottom 2 in each group were the ones i bought for $3020210709_123213-COLLAGE.jpg20210709_122143-COLLAGE.jpg

And BTW none of us ever have to apologize for being busy with our kids GoBigRed. They are WAY more important than our toys we talk about on here!! Hope you enjoyed the trip with your kids bud!
We stayed near deadwood last night and while they are getting ready I’ll reply. But yes, it’s good to be hanging out with the lads for a great trip. At least so far

those saws oil by using pressure. There is a pump diaphragm on the carb and a hose cone off it and goes to the oil tank. Some models have the hose coming off the crankcase that provides the air. At the end of that hose, inside the tank, is one of those little duckbill rubber check valves. It allowes air under pressure to enter the oil tank and that increase in pressure pushes the oil out to the bar. You can usually just unscrew the cap on the oil tank and the pressure will be relieved and it should stop pushing oil.
Three saws for $30 is a score. I haven’t ever seen any of those being sold for more than $50 or $60 but I still think they are great saws. So many uses around the house or property for a little tool like that

I’m not sure when it will happen but I’d like to try and engineer that forward trigger back in to my handle. I think it can be done, but just need to stop buying and working on macs so I can get to it. Hell, even on this road trip I’m eyeing saws on Craigslist and offer up. Just don’t see a lot in the Midwest.
So just trying popping the oil cap and see if that stops the flow when the saw gets shut off. It should at least slow it down.

Hey there GoBigRed. About to add 4 new to me Macs to my collection tomorrow. A 55, a 10-10 automatic, mini mac 110, and a mini 35. Hes asking $200 for the lot. All 4 run he says. Any thoughts or opinions on this venture would be appreciated! Ill tey to get some pics or video to post

Hey there GoBigRed. About to add 4 new to me Macs to my collection tomorrow. A 55, a 10-10 automatic, mini mac 110, and a mini 35. Hes asking $200 for the lot. All 4 run he says. Any thoughts or opinions on this venture would be appreciated! Ill tey to get some pics or video to post
I would.

I think the posts you are sending me are coming in all messed up. I’m not sure what To reply about.
I’m looking back and just want to ensure im answering things for you.
I think you were about to get four saws and wanted to know what to look for

the biggest thing is a complete saw. Next, open the carb cover and check to ensure the carb is pretty clean. If it’s packed with dust, I would have concerns. Look down the carb at the piston. Try to take off the muffler if you can and check out the exhaust side. Most folks will let you, but if they won’t, be cautious. See if the saw will hang from the rope. Kind of a red neck compression check.
Look over the bar and chain. I have brought a good looking saw home only to realize the bar and chain were crap when I finally took my attention off the saw. What was a good deal of the bar and chain were good ended up not being. If it runs, then check piling. Manual and auto.
All of these are negotiating points so use them to your advantage. If you offer a price and they say they would rather sell on eBay, let them. Because they will call you back eventually. Selling stuff on eBay can bring more money but takes a lot of time to package and get it shipped. If he didn’t list it on eBay now, he never will.

bot sure if I talked about the smaller saws but I don’t know much about them. I have been eyeing a Mac top handle, later model, like the one you sent a picture up. It’s still in the era of well made Mac so it could be a good one for you.
I just really love the PM 55. Can’t say enough good stuff about it.
And they say the PM 10-10 has a little more power than a regular 10-10. All of them respond well to a muffler mod and making a foam filter and oiling it. The other saw I don’t know much about. Did you say it was a 3400?

Theres a PM 55, a 10-10 Automatic, a Mini Mac 35, and what i think is called a Mini Mac 110. Im not sure why the posts are messed up? And you did reply on the little homelites. Said you wanted to engineer a forward trigger. None of mine have the forward trigger. And hkw do you date those little saws? From what ive found they all are different cc but seem identical when i take the saw apart. I havent pulled a piston or anything though. I have a Super 2, a Little Red XL, and an XL automatic20210708_222209.jpg

And btw it could be me doin something to make the posts messed up? Im not really tech savy. Lol
I’m not very tech savvy either. In fact, I was probably born 100 years too late.

so I would pay $50 for each of those saws. Mainly because I’d like to mess with one of those older top handle Mac saws. F they run well, I’d get them all. Four solid Mac for $50 each ain’t bad. But yes, it would be nice to get them for less.
Maybe go see them, offer $50 each for the 55 and 10-10 I’d they run. Then $30 or $40 each for the other two. If it was me, I’d just try to get them for less but still be willing to pay $200. Mainly because I’d love another 55, 10-10s are always cool, and I’d like to try those older top handle saws.
And don’t be fooled by anything about those homelites. They are all the same saw. Just a name change and minor changes like the primer bulb on the clutch side or the oiler control. Mcculloch did the same thing. The 55 and 10-10s are nearly the same. 10-10 and ProMac 10-10 are the same although there are carb differences and changes in mufflers and clutch covers. Saw makers have been doing that forever. same thing, different names, or very slight changes cosmetically. Still all good stuff

let me Know if you get them. I think if you run those saws, tune them right, and nod them properly, you’re going to be a 55 fan also. But in a worst case scenario they will sell at a good price if you want to flip it

More great advise GoBigRed! Thats why i try to contact you. You havent let me down yet bud! Im goin to look at them in the morning or early afternoon. I know the 3 pictured run. Its the mini 110 im not sure of? But ill def let you know how it turns out. **** i might just message you while im there if i have a question. Lol. And i was definitely born 100 yrs too late!!

Meant to show ya my little collection I've aquired in like the last 2 minths now. Lol. A little overboard but i love em! Got 3 Craftsmen saws for parts too. May be able to make one runner out of the 3? View attachment 920151View attachment 920150
Great looking pictures. Time to get a few shelves going in the garage to they can be seen and pulled down easier.
Some folks don’t do it, but I keep some parts saws around. I used a couple of Poulan 2150s to build a saw with my son and still have some good spare parts for it. Then I have a couple of homelite Super XLs in a box that I used to get a 72 blue SXL running. I like to keep things like oil pumps, carbs, and coils. Then maybe a few other things like bar nuts and plates.
Having the space helps but it things are tight in the garage then keep your parts inventory well organized

Thanks GoBigRed. I have 3 craftsmen saws that are the same as the poulan wood shark and poulan 2150 Super Clean. That pic is in my 12'x24' mancave (shed) which is where i work on the saws. Already have shelfs being made to run the full length of the building a little over head high. And i have a couple totes for all the extra parts. Im a little OCD, so i gotta have organization or it drives me crazy!! Lol. Ill post some pics when i finish the shelving. Its being made just to display the saws

Back