Pro Mac 610 at goodwill haha

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

August76

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I saw this thing at Goodwill today and I was looking at it and I thought nope.. I don't need it .
I bought something else that I had to return and they don't give you money back so I said what the hell so I bought the chainsaw with the rest of the store credit it was $30 all together and the funny part was I asked the lady if I could go outside try and start it cuz i knew it had gas and oil in it. and what do you know after 5 pulls the thing fires up so I shut it off immediately went back in the store and paid for it. I have no idea what I'm going to do with this big old cinder block but it runs and it runs really good. Chain is very dull but anyways I put it to the wood and I was actually surprised with this saw. 20180913_212955.jpg 20180913_213010.jpg 20180913_213001.jpg 20180913_181723.jpg 20180913_213017.jpg

Attachments

• 20180913_212955.jpg
    20180913_212955.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 18
I have one with the muffler gutted, wasn't horrible. In operation the only thing I didn't like was that it liked to pack chips, especially when noodling. They were really close to being real reliable saws minus the oiling system. The pulse oiler liked to fail and put bar oil in the cylinder. Also I think if the tank seal was bad it could do the same. Both equal a scored cylinder. If you blocked off the auto pulse oiler, using must the manual, and made sure the tank had a good seal (Yamabond) they would probably run forever. I'd say 24" would be the max bar length, I ran mine with a 20".

I have too many chainsaws so if I can make a couple bucks on it and make somebody else happy then it's a good day and he's new to the area so who knows he might end up on here buying a whole bunch of saws

You may regret having sold it, especially since it was a strong runner. Mine pulls a 28" bar without too much difficulty. I bought it new in 1977 for $170 and have seldom had any trouble with it. Here it is with a 20" bar, the typical offering:
Mac610-1.JPG
Mac610-2.JPG
Not much plastic in it, so yes, it's a little heavy. On the other hand, I was rather surprised at how well it pulled a 28" bar and sharp full chisel chain while noodle cutting through big elm. To me, it's a classic chain saw.

You may regret having sold it, especially since it was a strong runner. Mine pulls a 28" bar without too much difficulty. I bought it new in 1977 for $170 and have seldom had any trouble with it. Here it is with a 20" bar, the typical offering:
View attachment 674906
View attachment 674907
Not much plastic in it, so yes, it's a little heavy. On the other hand, I was rather surprised at how well it pulled a 28" bar and sharp full chisel chain while noodle cutting through big elm. To me, it's a classic chain saw.
Yeah..i have the Mac super 250 if I'm feeling yellow fever. That's a beast 87 cc and it has a 28 inch Mac original bar with that oddball 404 chain. I have too many saws in this size weight class. The stihl 038 mag 72cc, makita dolmar 64cc, husky 372xp 71cc, all weigh less and make more power. My dolmar 111 probably makes more power and it's really light for a old 52cc saw.
I bought the saw cuz it was kind of cool and I figured I'd see if anybody wanted to buy it and I had no idea somebody was going to want to buy it right away

Remind me to check out the Goodwill store now and then. I haven't stopped by there in 20 years. The only thing I had to replace on this saw was the on/off toggle switch 15 years ago. I found one at Radio Shack for $2 that worked. The Shack has since gone busted, but my saw still runs.

Occasionally sawyers would drop big logs on these saws and snap the chain brake handle. I never did, but it does look a bit precarious. Then again, the pull cord mechanism would occasionally lock up, but only if I used a replacement cord that was too long. That was about it for a saw that rarely gave me any trouble. Montgomery Wards used to sell them with their name stamped on them.

BTW, tomorrow morning I'm rip sawing an 8' long ash log with my friend's Makita DCS6421, an Alaska Sawmill, and a 32" bar and chain. Life goes on.

Remind me to check out the Goodwill store now and then. I haven't stopped by there in 20 years. The only thing I had to replace on this saw was the on/off toggle switch 15 years ago. I found one at Radio Shack for $2 that worked. The Shack has since gone busted, but my saw still runs.

Occasionally sawyers would drop big logs on these saws and snap the chain brake handle. I never did, but it does look a bit precarious. Then again, the pull cord mechanism would occasionally lock up, but only if I used a replacement cord that was too long. That was about it for a saw that rarely gave me any trouble. Montgomery Wards used to sell them with their name stamped on them.

BTW, tomorrow morning I'm rip sawing an 8' long ash log with my friend's Makita DCS6421, an Alaska Sawmill, and a 32" bar and chain. Life goes on.
That's what I have in my mill right now!
Dcs642120 my homemade mill. It works better than any saw I've owned so far. I like it even better than the husky 372xp and it's stock. Still has the catalytic converter Muffler and the limiter coilP_20180909_170322_p.jpg P_20180909_170324_p.jpg P_20180909_174529_p.jpg P_20180909_181303_p.jpg

My ash log is about half again wider than yours but not as long. I'll take along my camera and post a Pic. Last month we ran into trouble with high heat and humidity. Clutch bearing burned out. That was not the saw's fault. It was ours. If we had just run in the shade, the bearing would likely not have fried. High heat kills.

Oh, and BTW, we use a 9' guide for the rip on the first pass, not shown above. Some guys use common ladders.

My ash log is about half again wider than yours but not as long. I'll take along my camera and post a Pic. Last month we ran into trouble with high heat and humidity. Clutch bearing burned out. That was not the saw's fault. It was ours. If we had just run in the shade, the bearing would likely not have fried. High heat kills.

Oh, and BTW, we use a 9' guide for the rip on the first pass, not shown above. Some guys use common ladders.
You can't cut all in one . I stop often and let the saw rest 30 seconds or more. Knotts can really stop progress. I have flipped the saw around before to get past a knott.
I am careful. I wouldn't mind doing the 7900 big bore but I don't need to burn the saw up and it won't take much milling. Here it's 85 to 90 when I'm cutting

As promised, here it is. We probably should have started a new thread on this topic. We used a Makita 6421 with the Alaskan Saw Mill. The ash log was almost knot free. Six boards, about 7/4 thick and 6' long were obtained. That's a 32" bar. We dragged the log into the shade before we started. That afternoon it almost reached 90 F, but it was about 76 F in the morning shade when we were working. The saw performed flawlessly. Each board required about 3/4 tank of fuel.
Ripping Ash.jpg

Attachments

• Ripping Ash.jpg
    Ripping Ash.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 8
As promised, here it is. We probably should have started a new thread on this topic. We used a Makita 6421 with the Alaskan Saw Mill. The ash log was almost knot free. Six boards, about 7/4 thick and 6' long were obtained. That's a 32" bar. We dragged the log into the shade before we started. That afternoon it almost reached 90 F, but it was about 76 F in the morning shade when we were working. The saw performed flawlessly. Each board required about 3/4 tank of fuel.
View attachment 675290
Very nice ! I don't think we have ash here anyplace. It's a hard wood? Alligator juniper and oak is what we have for hard woods.
So now is the eager beaver the same saw as the 610?

Very nice ! I don't think we have ash here anyplace. It's a hard wood? Alligator juniper and oak is what we have for hard woods.
So now is the eager beaver the same saw as the 610?
Ash is an excellent hardwood. About anything can be made with it. I've built cabinets, tables, tool boxes, barrels, shelves, benches -- you name it -- all out of ash. It is just as versatile as oak for woodworking.

The Eager Beaver is a small saw compared to the big Mac 610. There really is no comparison. In the past, I have used the Eager Beaver for limbing and small trees. The 610 weighs about five pounds more. and has twice the horsepower. On occasion, I have used the Mac 610 with the Alaskan saw mill for milling work.

Ash is an excellent hardwood. About anything can be made with it. I've built cabinets, tables, tool boxes, barrels, shelves, benches -- you name it -- all out of ash. It is just as versatile as oak for woodworking.

The Eager Beaver is a small saw compared to the big Mac 610. There really is no comparison. In the past, I have used the Eager Beaver for limbing and small trees. The 610 weighs about five pounds more. and has twice the horsepower. On occasion, I have used the Mac 610 with the Alaskan saw mill for milling work.
interesting. I found it to be a pretty clumsy saw. If I had a collection of poulan crapsman saws it would have been a upgrade but I have too much stuff. My super 250 can hold it's weight good enough to the point I don't see anything else in my future with yellow saws.

interesting. I found it to be a pretty clumsy saw. If I had a collection of poulan crapsman saws it would have been a upgrade but I have too much stuff. My super 250 can hold it's weight good enough to the point I don't see anything else in my future with yellow saws.
I may have made a mistake in the Eager Beaver assessment. McCulloch could have applied that same name to several different saws, including your 250 Super, which is is larger than the Mac 610 TimberBear. The one I was thinking of only had about 36 cc. All your saws have some heavy meat except the little MS210. I sold one of those three years ago and the new owner uses it for all his limbing and trimming.

Latest posts

Back