Pro mac 800 build with options

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was offered the saw at a very good price for the condition of the body and even with the toasted piston, but the seller was gracious enough to send me a very good A piston to see what I could do.
My NOS set is still there as back up.
But I only have one set of rings so I wanted to see if I could free the old ones from the roached piston. 20200529_210600.jpg
Using a cheap knife I bevel cut the aluminum and picked for a hour. The rings are straight and look new except for some discoloration. 20200530_135511.jpg20200530_135521.jpg
Installed on the next piston.

Well, it’s been several days and we need an update!
Ordered seals from Bob J. yesterday.
Just like we read in every advertisement for new piston and cylinder kits it does no good to replace parts if there's an air leak and not knowing if it was straight gassed or something else I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Was there any ring pin locators on that piston? General setup looks identical to a SP60 I'm working on. Blows my mind a bit the SP60 does not have any.

I had a small chip in the chrome of the cylinder .Scotch pad was used on the bore .
I wanted to be sure that a ring or the piston itself isn't going to catch it on a raised part of the edge. Dremel sells a small abrasive wheel which is basically a scotch bright pad material. I went after the chip with both the coarse and fine wheels , it knocked any edges down.20200613_141152.jpg

Being that I had to get the old piston off the connecting rod I purchased a CHEAP arbor press from northern tool supply.
The big seal is a little bit trickier if you don't remove the bearing from the crank(and the seal is more expensive).
I had cut some thin pieces of pecan and drilled a 5/8ths hole in a burly peice. 20200613_131646.jpg20200613_131653.jpg20200613_131659.jpg
Im fairly certain that this peice would take just about 1000 lbs of pressure.

I had partially pressed the wrist pin into the rod and finished centering it on the press.20200613_132557.jpg20200613_132915.jpg
At first I tried to slip fit it by freezing the pin and heating the rod but it immediately caught and the pin didn't go farther than an 1/8th of an inch. It may be too hot in SC for that technique, if anyone has done it with a mac please let me know.

20200613_133615.jpg
So here it is , and thats the hard part if you ask me .
Without an arbor press I probably would have made a mess of the big seal, with such a large flange I didn't trust my old socket and hammer method and it was a good excuse to buy a press. I was also glad to have it for the piston too.

Back