Pro Saw - not a pro cutter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sritzau

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of replacing my current chainsaw (a Poulan 2300) with a new saw. I have about a hundred acres of woods, and heat my house with 6-8 cords of wood each year. Given a better saw, I would do some cleanup as well. The woods are a mixture of oak, ash, hickory, and assorted volunteers.

The Poulan was a free chainsaw given to me by someone who didn't need it when money was pretty tight. Now things are better and the 2300 is "a little weak." (as a side note I should say that, for as cheap and cheesey as it is, the 2300 has cut a lot of wood and not given me any trouble - even so, I don't want another one.)

I have been comparing saws and cruising internet forums for advice, and have come up with a short list of saws. There are many who insist on a "pro saw" - as examples, the Stihl 026 or the Husky 346XP. My question is this, "is it wise for a non-pro cutter to be using a pro saw?" Are non-pro saws more forgiving to someone whose technique - while improving - is still nothing like a pro?

And then, even if a pro saw is better, the question is "Do I really need a pro saw?" Cutting 6-8 cords of wood can be a lot of work, but probably not for any of the chainsaws I am looking at.

It's not a money issue - I'll spend the money if I'll see the benefits - I'm just trying to match the tool to the job.

Howdy,

Yep, it sounds like you cut enough wood to be about ready to get into bigger and better things. I would suggest not going much bigger, but...
Have you considered the Shindaiwa 488? This is a rather small saw, but with a heck of a lot more steam than the displacement would suggest. (See other posts on this forum). It will handle 3/8 chisel, and if equiped with a Windsor minipro bar, will have a professional quality guidebar, in a small size for safety. Most of these saws come with a .325 lowkickback setup on them, and I believe now, a laminated bar. You would be much better served to reject this setup, and go as I mentioned above. Will cost very little extra for the better bar, and a good dealer might throw it in on a new sale.
By using the above bar, you take care of most of the kickback increase due to using the 3/8 chisel chain.

As I remember, Sindaiwa has a good distribution in Conn. (Did service schools there for the Dist.)

Regards,
Walt Galer

Shindaiwa 488 et al.

Walt,

Right now my short list is (in no order)

Husq 55/55R Shindaiwa 488
Husq 346XP Stihl 026/260
Husq 359

The Shindaiwa has very impressive numbers and I do have a local Shindaiwa dealer (they're not my favorite, but the closest Husky/Stihl dealer is not winning any popularity contests either).

One thing about the local dealer it that their prices are notoriously high, putting a Shindaiwa 488 at the same cost as a Stihl 260. Meanwhile, the Husky's are all closer to $350. I can get a Shindaiwa 488 over the internet for about $350, but then would have to 'customize' it myself. I am guessing that wouldn't be that hard, but wonder how deep into it I would be by the time I was done.

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate any wisdom that people can pass on that will prevent me from having to buy 16 different chainsaws before learning what to look for in a new one.

Steve

Sritzau,

I'll see your point and I understand. For I to am not a logger, firewood harvester, or arborist, just your average homeowner. I use my saw during the summer to clean up my Grand fathers property and for general pruning. I struggled with the going "PRO" issue but I weighed my options: higher quality, more longevity, MORE POWER, MORE POWER, MORE POWER. I sometimes think, "I really didn’t need an 046, I could’ve gotten away with 026 or smaller" however when I start my monster up I couldn’t imagine cutting without it. I now think an 066 would’ve been better just for that extra pony but that'll wait for awhile. I have loved chainsaws since my father let me start his Mac 610 so for me it’s more of an addiction then necessity. So if you like saws and you need one consider one size more than you need because it’s just a lot of fun. O safety is paramount and comes first but that doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy it either.

Confused

Both the Stihl and Husky are great professional saws and will work terrific. I would recommend the 026 though because of Loyalty.

If cost is not the prime issue I would get the Husky 357XP. It will blow away everything you listed there. Will run close to $500 though. In my opinion the Husqvarna 55 is the best avail saw dollar for dollar. you will not be dissapointed. The Stihl 026 is excellent but for a few more dollars you can have a 357XP.

the 346xp is 2.7 cubic inch and 3.4 bhp. 18 inch, 50 gauge delivered to your house is $359.00. the 357 is 3.5 cubic inch and 4.4 bhp. 18 inch, 50 gauge delivered to your house is $479.00.
the stihl 026 out-cuts the 026 pro and it is still pretty close between the 026 and the 346. of course the 357 will out-cut them all. i have great luck with the 357's in their class and they scream. protect yourselves; marty

Hey Marty and Huskyman/Jonseredman,
Have you all even tried using a Shindaiwa? Just curious. Their
quality is very good. Just curious, don't want no trouble, you
know me.....
Fish
Huskyman always critisizes Stihl's prices, but a 488 for $350 is
hard to argue, especially when you add in the quality
craftsmanship.

I criticize Stihl's prices because they are too darned expensive. I know Shindaiwa has a good rep but i refrained from recommending them because I have not used one so I cant speak from personal experience. The Shindaiwa is probably a better saw then the 55 but their dealer network is sketchy and I dont know where they have a strong dealership presence. You used to sell them, didnt you?

I notice that the Shindaiwa 488, Husky 346, and Stihl 026 are all pretty high-speed saws. If I am still "learning my way" am I going to screw up these saws during the learning process? Worse, am I more likely to screw up me? Will I do generally better with a pro chainsaw, or is it a case of throwing "pearls before swine?"

i am not by any means knocking shindiawa. they are a good saw in their application. far better than lots of homelites(homelites made many models, remember the series that the carbs backed away from the jug causing an air gap that would sieze the piston and rings? stihl and husky also put out saws i would not recommend as do others). i have always said part of buying a saw is the application and the avialible funds. the question was, 026,026pro,346xp or the 357xp. without doubt, the 357xp would be on top. i did mention that cubes are greatly spread out. sorry to offend you fish. protect yourselves; marty

Back