Problem : MTD 25 ton splitter 4 second delay to second stage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BC3

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Thanks in advance.

machine in great shape and not a lot of time. New oil, filters etc. ag32w oil. the problem is there is a delay of 4 seconds when driving head into split. it goes through wood no problem after waiting the 4 seconds. Also, at full return the handle takes the same 4 seconds to kick off. Energy says its either the cylinder seals or the pump.

Is it possible to test pump with a gauge i can put together? I don't want to pay $100 for someone to tell what i may be able to determine on my own.

thanks, Bc3

I would guess that the 4sec delay is the time it is taking the pump to build the pressure needed to shift the pump into the high pressure mode. You can buy a pressure gauge pretty cheap and install it in the pressure line between the pump and the valve to see just what kind of pressure it is building. These kind of problems are not always bad pumps. I would check the coupling between the pump and engine and make sure it isnt slipping before doing anything else.

Sounds good..difficult to do ? And should it be painfully obvious if it's in fact bad? There is signs of old oil coating the outside of the pump assmebly

Thanks in advance.

machine in great shape and not a lot of time. New oil, filters etc. ag32w oil. the problem is there is a delay of 4 seconds when driving head into split. it goes through wood no problem after waiting the 4 seconds. Also, at full return the handle takes the same 4 seconds to kick off. Energy says its either the cylinder seals or the pump.

Is it possible to test pump with a gauge i can put together? I don't want to pay $100 for someone to tell what i may be able to determine on my own.

thanks, Bc3

Are you sure it even has 2nd stage? I have the same one and can't tell if it goes into 2nd stage or not.

I would say so..you can tell. its like its shifting into a second gear of sorts and the motor tone changes as well..less bog down.

So I've figured out the problem - it was the pump.

I believe the o-Ring seal on the fitting was the culprit. In this case the hose fitting connection was not NPT but a washer plate with an Oring to make the seal. The o-ring was hardened. I did NOT do the pressure test as the cost of a gauge fitting plus shipping etc would have been an about $40 - an expense for a tool I most likely wouldn't be using again. I will say that the replacement pump was $127.00. Taking it to a facility would have been $100 just for a diagnosis fee.

So in the end I was lucky that It was the pump...but all my investigation showed it was the most likely defective part. Thanks for the help! Bc3

Back