Problem with my 68 chevy bedwood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I guess this is the area to post this. I bought white oak that was kiln dried from a local sawmill . Planed it and ripped it to size.
I then used penofin marine oil coated top bottom and ends. Looked beautiful for several months. Truck has never seen rain as I am still restoring as time allows. I am now noticing about 4 months later black spots on it at first I thought maybe something stained it but nothing removes it. I tried scrapping the oil off and it's in the wood.
Could it be mold? Seems weird as its stored in a dry location and was outside in the sun quite a bit. He are some pics. First is after completion second a few weeks ago.
20190725_091231.jpg 20191022_112919.jpg

I can't say what the spots are but you should never seal wood 100% on all sides. No mater how well you seal it, moisture will get in and because it's sealed on all sides and ends the moisture can't get out and it will rot 10 times faster. It's best to seal the top and sides and ends but leave the bottom raw and unsealed so it has a way to dry if it gets wet.
Been there done that, you need to leave a unsealed side so it can dry out.
Also use a rot resistant wood like cedar or red wood or stained treated wood.
I built a porch and painted all the boards 100% top bottom ends and sides.
I rotted out in two years. I rebuilt it and only painted the top and it lasted 15 years. Same wood only it had a way to dry out.

Little confused about your reply as all the bedwood companies and restoration shops say seal the entire board. All sides as to control expansion in the bed .
It's basically like a boat if not sealed all around it will crack and split. GM painted the boards with enamel automotive paint the same way.

Little confused about your reply as all the bedwood companies and restoration shops say seal the entire board. All sides as to control expansion in the bed .
It's basically like a boat if not sealed all around it will crack and split. GM painted the boards with enamel automotive paint the same way.

Take two boards and paint one all the way around on all sides and paint one on just the top and sides and leave the bottom unpainted and let them sit outside in the weather. I will bet you 100 bucks the fully painted board will rot out faster then the one with the unpainted bottom.

I guess this is the area to post this. I bought white oak that was kiln dried from a local sawmill . Planed it and ripped it to size.
I then used penofin marine oil coated top bottom and ends. Looked beautiful for several months. Truck has never seen rain as I am still restoring as time allows. I am now noticing about 4 months later black spots on it at first I thought maybe something stained it but nothing removes it. I tried scrapping the oil off and it's in the wood.
Could it be mold? Seems weird as its stored in a dry location and was outside in the sun quite a bit. He are some pics. First is after completion second a few weeks ago.
View attachment 776564 View attachment 776565
Have you tried Oxylic acid to clean the stains? If it’s tanning stain, that should remove it quickly. If mold or fungus, it won’t

Take two boards and paint one all the way around on all sides and paint one on just the top and sides and leave the bottom unpainted and let them sit outside in the weather. I will bet you 100 bucks the fully painted board will rot out faster then the one with the unpainted bottom.
I understand where your coming from but the bedwood is like a piece of furniture never sees water. So it's a little different.

Did you use some steel wool anywhere along the way?
If not steel wool .... debris from drilling holes in metal?
From the pics, it looks like it could be tiny bits of iron staining.
No steel wool used . But come to think of it I had to mig weld some items near the bed. I had a welding blanket on it but it still may gotten threw it. How would I remove the stains.

I just look they are blueish not black like mold

No steel wool used . But come to think of it I had to mig weld some items near the bed. I had a welding blanket on it but it still may gotten threw it. How would I remove the stains.

I just look they are blueish not black like mold

Sounds like you found your culprit.
The welding blanket probably had a few tiny bits of metal it let go.... dust size will blow up into little stains once combined with residual moisture in the wood.
It's tough to get metal stains out of unfinished wood that can be sanded... not sure you'll get rid of those without being super invasive.
They are tiny though.. Not horrible to live with.

I did a super custom Cedar privacy screen for a client a couple years ago.
Before the painter could get started finishing it they had the roof done on the main house.
Little micro bits from the roofing material made a disaster out of the cedar.
The painter spent a week sanding and then a wind/rain storm blew a whole new batch of bits on it over a night... disaster!

Is it possible the welding blanket had grinding residue on it and moisture/humidity triggered the staining. When we cut oak and had to stop before the log was done we always kicked the log onto the deck because it would rust the head blocks fast and blue the board as well. If it had been grade it wasn't anymore. Bark against the steel is ok not sappy wood.

Sounds like you found your culprit.
The welding blanket probably had a few tiny bits of metal it let go.... dust size will blow up into little stains once combined with residual moisture in the wood.
It's tough to get metal stains out of unfinished wood that can be sanded... not sure you'll get rid of those without being super invasive.
They are tiny though.. Not horrible to live with.

I did a super custom Cedar privacy screen for a client a couple years ago.
Before the painter could get started finishing it they had the roof done on the main house.
Little micro bits from the roofing material made a disaster out of the cedar.
The painter spent a week sanding and then a wind/rain storm blew a whole new batch of bits on it over a night... disaster!
You beat me to it ;)

Back