Problem with splitter: spider failure

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yukiginger

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I pulled the pump on my splitter last week because I thought that it had failed and had ordered a new one. Turns out that once I was able to remove it I found the jaws on the couplings had been damaged and the spider between them was almost totally destroyed. I ordered replacement parts from Harbor Freight, where I bought the splitter 6 months ago as a reconditioned item. My neighbors and I have split about 20 full cords with it.

My question is what would cause such early failure in the spider and the "lovejoy" couplings. I would like to avoid future problems, and I am hopeful that my pump is not done.

Thanks for any advice.

MarkG

Your spider may have simply worn out. Causes of accelerated wear are overloading, improper material selection, poor shaft allignment. Possibly the coupling is too small for the application.

There are other spider materials available, but you won't get them thru HF. The least expensive is Buna-N which is probably what you have. Try McMaster Carr or MSC. Better selections are urethane or Hytrel.

Bob

Check the alignment of the pump to the motor, the lovejoy is meant to make up for small missalignments but will wear quickly if its too far out.
Andy

Thanks

Thanks for the replies. I am hoping that it was improper installation or slippage in one of the couplings that caused the spider to fail, and that I can do a proper job on reassembly to prevent an early recurrence of the problem.

Perhaps I will order a better spider as suggested to have on hand.

Thanks again.

MarkG

I split almost 200 cords w/ a cheap MTD type splitter and had no issues with the spider insert. Something else must be going on.

Every one has called it, the shafts are not in aligment. Hopefully there is some adjustment provided to align them properly. When I set mine up I had the pump loose and used two short pieces of angle iron. One on each side of the coupler and clamped with c-clamps. It's not perfect but it will get it perty darn close.

If you check the spec on a Lovejoy coupler the angular misalignment is not much. I have seen them fail in short order from not being assembled correctly.
A piece of angle as stated before will get you close if the shafts are the same size. Good luck

So, other than the coupler failing, could ya tell us how the splitter performed and what model, if you please? I have thought of getting one thru HF but didn't know if it would be powereful enough for pecan or split a long enough log. I don't do firewood for a bussiness so I can't justify paying big bucks for one just for my own consumption.

Harbor Freight splitter

Sawdust7,

But for this problem I and my 3 neighbors have been very satisfied with this splitter - the 22 ton model with the Briggs 5.5 hp engine. I bought it as a reconditioned model, for $600 plus $40 shipping. In my opinion there aren't that many moving parts to these splitters so generally if they have a quality engine, pump, cylinder, and valve you should be okay. Mine has the Briggs Intek engine.

I am dissappointed at this point with this breakage, and unfortunately I only had a 90 day warranty because it was reconditioned. New ones come with a 2 yr. warranty I was told by a customer service rep. That strikes me as really good.

My splitter will split 25" long rounds, and I have split many large rounds of 28-36" in diameter with it. Much of my wood has come from cleaning up for a logger, so I get butts and other odd pieces once he cuts to length. I have split cherry, honey locust, soft maple, hard maple, ash, and white oak primarily with many crotch sections and rounds with large limbs coming in. Yes, the splitter slows down as it is designed to when it encounters a tough one, but she powers through. We've all been very happy with its performance. My one neighbor was planning to buy the Troy-bilt 35 ton model and just recently he told me that he would not have bought my splitter but now that he has used it he would. (I charge my 3 neighbors $40 a year to use the splitter as a way to offset maintenance.)

I think the Harbor Freight splitters offer a tremendous value (unless you have problems as I've had), but with a 2 yr. warranty you can hardly go wrong. My model is currently on sale for $800. If I did it over again I would try to get the Robin engine which they offer on the 24 ton and sometimes their 30 ton. I see that you are outside Houston with a Harbor Freight store. Call them and see what they have. If you have an Entertainment book check it for a coupon or sign up at HF's website for their emails. Almost every week I receive by email a coupon for 20% off any item at their retail store. My local store just recently started carrying the 22 ton splitter. Do you know what $800- 20% comes to? - a great deal on a log splitter!!! (Be sure to print out the web price, though, as the stores don't always communicate well with corporate, but they will honor the web price.)

MarkG

Parts are in - more help sought!

I appreciate all the offered advice and comments. I've finally received my replacement parts from Harbor Freight. Putting the couplings together with the spider in between I get play or slop of about 1/16" (just a guess). This is without placing them on the shafts - just in my hands. Does this seem right? Won't this cause a lot of wear when I reverse direction?

It seems to me that the spider should mesh in tightly with the couplings to make it one firm unit. Please advise. Should I return these and source elsewhere to get a tighter fit or is this how they are designed?

Thanks.

MarkG

Spyders

There are 2 types of spyders. One for heavy duty lovejoys and one for light duty. There should not be any slop in the couplings. Try taking your couplings to TSC if there are any next to you.

Millman

Spyder was incorrect

Millman, I did make it to Tractor Supply Company and with my couplings the sales guy found the applicable spyder, and wouldn't you know with that spyder in there was no slop at all? Plus, it is made of the better, rubber-like material, not the plastic that Harbor Freight uses.

Got the splitter back together and so far, so good. It has split about 4 more cords. I have not yet contaced Harbor Freight about their parts, but clearly it is not the proper spyder to be using. I do believe that they sent me the right part; they simply use the wrong or improperly sized spyder. I warn anyone buying a splitter from them to check the spyder often and decide if you want warranty service when it goes or replace it yourself, or have them put in a proper spyder (that you provide).

MarkG

Latest posts

Back