procut carriage width

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hampzie

Reaction score
for those of you that have built a procut or copycat what do you think is the best width beteewn the rails, building a mill and do'nt want to builtit to big or to saw.

thanks Robert:monkey:

I built a 16hp chainsaw mill 28" wide at he rails, but it is determined by the size of the logs you have. Then what size bar you have. Then build the rails a few inches narrower than the bar length. If you can build a chainsaw mill you can build a bandsaw, that will save you one step.

Hello,

When I built my Procut I decided to go somewhat wider, the plans call for the rails to be 27" CTC and I went 32" plus made the bed wider as well. The main reason I did this is so I could build a SimpleSaw bandsawmill and use the same bed, by memory the Simplesaw is 35" between castors.

On the Procut I used a 3/8 36" bar for mainly cutting softwoods, ie pine. I've finished a 4-stroke chainsawmill that uses a .404 42" bar so now I don't use the procut carriage any more put the Procut logbed I built some 6 years ago is the heart of my sawing.

Even if you go bigger then you need you can still adjust the bar clamp to take a smaller bar. You never know what your future needs maybe :)

Stevensam - Got any pics of your set up?

dang it Steve know have to spend more of my wifes money.It took for ever to explane why she needed a husky 385xp and all this metal in the yard.If I start now maybe I'll have her conveced why she 's getting a old lawnmower for valentines day.

does it cut better than or faster than the chainsaw

Thanks Robert

I've only just started to test the 4-stroke CSM out, as I'm waiting for a new bar and other parts from Bailey's.

So far I've decided that the actual cutting speed is about the same as my Procut 2-stroke chainsaw mill (husky 3120) but it takes little to no effort to push the new mill through the log. With the Procut you have to use every bit of muscle to make a cut, and not to mention getting a face full of fumes. So far the new mill seems to cut smoother then the Procut do to mainly the extra mass of the carriage.

I wonder if Clintb has a similar finding for his CSM.

But if I was starting out and I had a good chainsaw, as you do, I would build the Procut mill first. If you have any questions let me know.

Steve.

Steve

Thanks for pics. Nice job with the build.:clap: :cheers: I may have to steal some of your ideas.

Did you use procut plans for your original build of the rails & bed?

I have thought of using them as a base for a build and change things as I thought necessary.

Thanks Ryan

If interested I have up loaded some photos onto photobucket here,
http://s227.photobucket.com/albums/dd31/SSW7/

Hope this helps Robert in deciding what width he needs.

Cheers, Steve.

What's up with the bucket-hairdryer blower thing?? I noticed the flames coming out the top hole; ?????? I can't even guess what you're going to be melting with that? I see the sand casting for molding something, but I'm at a loss. Very curious.
Nice mill, BTW

Did you use procut plans for your original build of the rails & bed?

I have thought of using them as a base for a build and change things as I thought necessary.

Yeah, the bed is the original Procut design, although I have modified/redesigned the bunks and the squaring dog. It is a simple and very solid design and the plans go into great detail. If any one is tempted in buying the Procut plans I highly recommend it.

I've also made a trailer that I tow my bandsaw and CSM when not in use. It is basically the same as the bed but only 2 meters long, it slides/butts into the bed to have an almost 10 meter total cutting length.

What's up with the bucket-hairdryer blower thing?? I noticed the flames coming out the top hole; ?????? I can't even guess what you're going to be melting with that? I see the sand casting for molding something, but I'm at a loss. Very curious.
Nice mill, BTW

Thanks for the interest. As for the bucket thing it's a home made furnace to melt non-ferrous metal, within the bucket is a crucible. In the photo I'm melting aluminium to sand cast the bar clamps which have the oiler slot.

So I guess you had more of an idea then you thought:)

sprocket size

hey steve what size sprocket and clutch did you use on your new saw
Thanks Robert

Yeah, the bed is the original Procut design, although I have modified/redesigned the bunks and the squaring dog. It is a simple and very solid design and the plans go into great detail. If any one is tempted in buying the Procut plans I highly recommend it.

I've also made a trailer that I tow my bandsaw and CSM when not in use. It is basically the same as the bed but only 2 meters long, it slides/butts into the bed to have an almost 10 meter total cutting length.

Thats what I wanted to know about the Procut plans. I also noticed the bunks and dogs you had designed. I really like how you have progressed the the same set of rails.

Thanks Ryan:cheers:

Ingenious

Thanks for the interest. As for the bucket thing it's a home made furnace to melt non-ferrous metal, within the bucket is a crucible. In the photo I'm melting aluminium to sand cast the bar clamps which have the oiler slot.

So I guess you had more of an idea then you thought:)

WOW! I know a biker named Steve who has a backyard foundry. Steve makes many things for himself rather than just buying the same old thing the rest of us can buy.
What a nice custom mill you have made and with the big 4-stroke you have solved the horsepower problem nicely.
:clap:

hey steve what size sprocket and clutch did you use on your new saw
Thanks Robert

Hi, I have a 7.5" pulley on the motor and a 3" pulley on the drive shaft. The Drive shaft sprocket is a 12 tooth 404 harvester sprocket and has a bore of 25mm. The clutch is a simple belt tensioner between the motor pulley and drive shaft pulley.

WOW! I know a biker named Steve who has a backyard foundry. Steve makes many things for himself rather than just buying the same old thing the rest of us can buy.
What a nice custom mill you have made and with the big 4-stroke you have solved the horsepower problem nicely.
:clap:

I'm no biker but I do have a dirt bike if that counts :)

It's great hobby to get into, I would hate to imagine what the cost of getting a pro to cast all the small parts I've done over the years. I can't say I'm an expert or anything as I'm still learning.

Steve

Another question about your mills. What do yo use for your carriage wheels? Do they have bearings?

Thanks Ryan

Back