procut carriage width

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good question, all three mills use different types of wheels/castors.

The Procut uses nylon wheels turned from nylon bar stock. The rail slot in the wheels matches the actual rail width so there is no side movement when milling. I read somewhere that the side thrust of the saw can cause problems with castors. This set up works well.

The bandsaw uses normal small dia aluminium pulleys for wheels as described in the Procut plans. I wouldn't say this is ideal and is more of a temp thing, I plan on using the nylon wheels from the Procut soon.

The 4 stroke CSM uses actual V castors with bearings and it is super easy to push. I find it ideal for this set up but they can be expensive, although I got 2 sets of 4 castors for $5 from a farm clearing sale:)

I was about to post a thread seeking info about a four stroke motor conversion to use on my procut mill. Are you able to post some info about your 4 stroke chai sawmill build?

Hello,

When I built my Procut I decided to go somewhat wider, the plans call for the rails to be 27" CTC and I went 32" plus made the bed wider as well. The main reason I did this is so I could build a SimpleSaw bandsawmill and use the same bed, by memory the Simplesaw is 35" between castors.

On the Procut I used a 3/8 36" bar for mainly cutting softwoods, ie pine. I've finished a 4-stroke chainsawmill that uses a .404 42" bar so now I don't use the procut carriage any more put the Procut logbed I built some 6 years ago is the heart of my sawing.

Even if you go bigger then you need you can still adjust the bar clamp to take a smaller bar. You never know what your future needs maybe :)

Back