Product reference

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Does Stihl and Husqvarna have a cross reference for their bars and chains in a products catalog available to the low life public?

Thanks Chain Gang;
I already have the Oregon Bible and it`s a good one.
I`m still looking for a Stihl and Husqvarna reference booklet.

From what I know , witch is very little. Only the Sm bars for the sm. saws can be interchanged. Stihls bar studs are much larger than the Huskys.

Kenin:
Be a little more specific with your question.
What is it you want to do? You can put a Stihl bar on a Husky by using adapters on the bar studs but you cannot put a Husky bar on a stihl without doing a lot of metal removal because of the width of the bar slot. Stihl bars for the 028 through 066 have a 12mm wide slot. Husky bars for the larger pro saws are 9mm as you are probably already aware. In Canada Stihl bars are .050 bar groove and Husky bars are .058 groove so the chains are also different. Drive link counts are also different on pro saws over 24" bar lengths in Canada.
Dr. John

I`ve been trying to reply but I seem to get locked out, anyway now that I`m here ...
all I want is a list of Stihl bars and chains and what Stihl saws they match up with and the same with Husqvarna, I don`t want to interchange bars and saws and such I just want a list preferably with pictures as to what chains they have, what bars they have,what drive sprockets are required and what saws they fit.
If you`ve ever seen the Oregon application guide you`ll know what I mean, I just want the same thing from Stihl and Husqvarna so I can look through it while I`m on the throne and not have to make a trip to the dealership and just take what they hand me over the counter.
I want to see what they make for my saw and what`s available from the factory.

Kevin:
There I spelled it correctly this time.
Husqvarna use Oregon bars and chains as original equipment so your Oregon catalogue is the best guide for Oregon product as used on Husky. Stihl make their own brand of chain and also have their own branded bars and you might be able to talk a Stihl dealer out of a copy of the catalogue they put out.
You can also access other manufacturers via the internet. go to mychainsaw.com and click on the manufacturers sites.

That`s not too surprising, half of the Husqvarna saws at my local dealer have Oregon bars on them new on the shelf.
I had my saw in for a tune`r and requested a Husqvarna bar because they are made different and are better suited for milling purposes.
When I went back to get the saw they couldn`t find a Husky bar to fit my Husky saw.
The chain tensioning holes were round and the Oregon bar had oval holes which fit the saw properly but it`s not the same bar, its not the bar I wanted but now I`m stuck with something I don`t want and a month later I still haven`t found out from my dealer why I can`t purchase a Husqvarna bar for a Husqvarna saw, it came with one when I bought it new!
She`s been waiting to hear back from them for a month now.
This is like some kind of secret war weapon, they make it, they tell you they have it but they won`t give you any details on it.
I don`t understand that they make the products but are reluctant to share any information about the frigg`n stuff!
Go to your dealer they say!

If you want to be visted by Oregon special agents just ask them why they make 72RA, they sell it but they won`t sell it to you or I, they make it and admit they make it but it`s not in their catalog and it`s not for sale!
Are they making this ripping chain for aliens that are milling lumber on another planet?
What`s the big secret on this one?:alien:

For ripping purposes we prefer to sell Carlton chain. they do not hide anything about it and make a really good chain. Oregon do not like making ripping chain because it means changing the assembly machine for a small batch of chain. What saw model are you taling about and what length of bar.
I have only seen short bars branded Husqvarna and by short I mean 16" 18" and 20". some of these bars are a laminated style made in Norway or Sweden and are generally good bars. If you dont like the shape of the holes in the bar take a file to them and make them the shape you want. That is what I do. I have a square rat tail file for modifying the holes.

Carlton chain ? If you happen to see or talk to Buz or Mr. Carlton tell him or them I said hi. & it sure was nice working for them or there family when they ran the west coast Stihl

Modifying the bar was a consideration but if it doesn`t fit in the first place maybe it`s not meant to be installed on the saw for another reason, maybe it requires a different drive sprocket?
That`s my main concern, I want to buy a new Husqvarna bar for my relatively new Husqvarna saw and I want it to fit without the guess work or making any modifications to the bar or saw.
If I have the Husqvarna reference guide I know full well what I need before I even get to the dealership and if they try selling me a different bar then we have something to talk about.
I just find it very strange that they make these products and don`t have an application guide out there available to the public.
I have one Carlton chain and when I bought it the links were sticking together which made it a pain to sharpen on the grinder.
I`m very happy with the Oregon 73RA and it works very well for my purpose, it`s just not readily available.

I have a new 066 Stihl and my Husqvarna is a 262 (62cc).
I have used Granberg chains and although the chain won`t stay sharp as long as the RA the chain itself seems to be decent and it`s Carlton chain.
The other Carlton chain I bought was the low pro.

Thank you for your recent e-mail inquiry. I am sorry but I do not have a
reference guide available. Your local dealership will be able to identify
the chain on your units and be able to provide you with replacements ones.

Again, thank you for your inquiry.

Sincerely,

STIHL Limited
Donna Huisjes
[size=+3]YadaYadaYada[/size]

Back