Project Farm tests chains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like how he tests the stuff, not in some ridiculous unrealistic scenario. Real dude testing things in a fashion that the average guy would do with average tools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely interesting to watch. Clearly some big differences on new chains out of the box. For me the interesting part was how well some of the chains handled sand/dirt.

As you would guess-metal quality and hardness plays as big a role as the design.

You'll rarely go wrong with an Oregon, Stihl or Husqvarna chain.

I really wish he had tested Archer vs the Carbide

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Very creative and practical methods for testing. I like the use of the weight to control the speed of cut. I like that he retested after a full tank of cutting, to compare wear. I liked his sand test.

One thing that he did not compare: all chains were tested with the factory/out of the box (‘OOB’) performance. Might some of the chains improve with better sharpening or different factory angles?

I might want to retest after running each chain through an auto grinder, to get identical sharpening treatment. OOB only lasts until the first sharpening.

This was better than many of the more subjective tests I see posted.

Thanks for posting this.

Philbert

Thanks for posting this . I have seen PF vids testing other things but missed this one . He just confirmed what I suspected for years . Carlton makes a good chain but it is slow compared to Oregon or Sthil and it has always been a hard chain to sharpen for me and I could never get that Carlton chain to cut as fast as Sthil chain or some of this new Oregon chain.

P Farm did a very nice job with this video . I especially liked the closeup shots of the cutter profile and the underside of the top plate and the view of the side plate showing the differences in the manufacturing of mass produced chains.

I particularly like that PF refuses all sponsorships, everything he tests he buys himself. Nothing "provided for free as a tester" by a manufacturer. AvE does the same thing, quite the credibility booster.

Very creative and practical methods for testing. I like the use of the weight to control the speed of cut. I like that he retested after a full tank of cutting, to compare wear. I liked his sand test.

One thing that he did not compare: all chains were tested with the factory/out of the box (‘OOB’) performance. Might some of the chains improve with better sharpening or different factory angles?

I might want to retest after running each chain through an auto grinder, to get identical sharpening treatment. OOB only lasts until the first sharpening.

This was better than many of the more subjective tests I see posted.

Thanks for posting this.

Philbert
I have found that sharpening with the Pferd 2 in 1 sharpener actually improves on cutting speed compared to out of the box. It is also sold by Stihl. As in any filing guide, it is a good idea to rotate the round files 90 degrees every once in a while to expose fresh cutting surfaces on the file. This is not a problem with hand files, as they will tend to be rotated at random with use. But filing guides fix the position unless you change it. For me, the Stihl RS series has always cut faster than others I have tried, and it lasts about 2-3 tank loads between needing a touch up even in dirty conditions. It still cuts faster than an RM chain after 2-3 tanks.

Latest posts

Back