Project "junk", a slow build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the advice and parts offer. I think I have everything I need except neither saw had an inner bar plate and both came with a carb branded "Hong Kong ". I had an 036 a while back that had the same so it must be a thing. I would prefer a WB, which one came stock on these?

I ordered a 6202 and had told myself I was going to split the case and go through the bottom end but now I'm thinking maybe I should leave it alone if it's all tight and just tap in new seals. The 034 case is in better cosmetic condition but I like the side tensioner on the 036 so I'm a little torn there as well. Thoughts?

Side Tensioner FTW.

Otherwise you just have a 2 color 262.

Time for a little more intrigue. Both of these cases take the same starter bolts. They look like 5mm to me. One is front chain adjust, one side, with all bolts laying out front. Pic of the two cylinders side by side. Guess I better pull the "034" and see. Muffler is closed front/side exit too.
20180711_180205.jpg 20180711_180010.jpg

Thanks for the advice and parts offer. I think I have everything I need except neither saw had an inner bar plate and both came with a carb branded "Hong Kong ". I had an 036 a while back that had the same so it must be a thing. I would prefer a WB, which one came stock on these?

I ordered a 6202 and had told myself I was going to split the case and go through the bottom end but now I'm thinking maybe I should leave it alone if it's all tight and just tap in new seals. The 034 case is in better cosmetic condition but I like the side tensioner on the 036 so I'm a little torn there as well. Thoughts?
If case bearings are smooth and shinny, I would use them.

Got the 036 torn down as far as I'm going to today. Damn was it grimy. Searched here and found little about advancing the timing on this model. I plan to set squish about .020 and open the muffler a little. How much off of the key for a stock Mahle 036 jug?

Got the 036 torn down as far as I'm going to today. Damn was it grimy. Searched here and found little about advancing the timing on this model. I plan to set squish about .020 and open the muffler a little. How much off of the key for a stock Mahle 036 jug?
Just my opinion but I’d save the advance of timing till after the saw is done and running, then you could judge the gains a little easier. Lotsa posts about how much to file the key, I’m not sure I remember anyone doing it specifically to an 036, should be easy to google though. Watching with interest.:cool:

Just my opinion but I’d save the advance of timing till after the saw is done and running, then you could judge the gains a little easier. Lotsa posts about how much to file the key, I’m not sure I remember anyone doing it specifically to an 036, should be easy to google though. Watching with interest.:cool:
Agree, and that's why I asked here. I can easily build and test it against itself, I just thought I'd do it up on the bench as best I can and then run. Thank you for the advice.

Agree, and that's why I asked here. I can easily build and test it against itself, I just thought I'd do it up on the bench as best I can and then run. Thank you for the advice.
I agree with grizz, wait until your done, then you can put it back on the bench and grind enough off to make it like a husky :laugh:.
Side Tensioner FTW.

Otherwise you just have a 2 color 262.
LOL.

I agree with grizz, wait until your done, then you can put it back on the bench and grind enough off to make it like a husky :laugh:.
I had a bone stock 036 that I ran for a minute. I liked the power delivery, it seemed less peaky than a lot of the XPs I've ran. Seems like a good all around choice for a newer user to run a 20" bar. In many ways similar to a 359, with a much cooler exhaust note. Maybe I will have to leave the muffler alone...

I had a bone stock 036 that I ran for a minute.
Stihl:laughing:.
with a much cooler exhaust note
o_O.

I've had a few, they ran for more than a minute, except one that I still have it didn't run that long :innocent:.
The last one I sold pulled a 20 nicely, and I used a 24(25" in stihl speak:lol:) on it at times for flush cutting stumps, don't want to scratch my huskys and get pitch on them :D.
Screen Shot 2018-07-15 at 12.01.38 PM.png

I had a bone stock 036 that I ran for a minute. I liked the power delivery, it seemed less peaky than a lot of the XPs I've ran. Seems like a good all around choice for a newer user to run a 20" bar. In many ways similar to a 359, with a much cooler exhaust note. Maybe I will have to leave the muffler alone...
Dual port it!:cool:

Stihl:laughing:.
I'm sure I'm not the only member here that sees the irony in this reply to "for a minute" from you...:rolleyes:

o_O.
I like that bass-like tone that an 026 and 036 emit in the cut. If you say a 357/9 has a better idle burble I wouldn't slant eye ya.

I've had a few, they ran for more than a minute, except one that I still have it didn't run that long :innocent:.
The last one I sold pulled a 20 nicely, and I used a 24(25" in stihl speak:lol:) on it at times for flush cutting stumps, don't want to scratch my huskys and get pitch on them :D.
View attachment 663262
Don't think he'll be doing much flush cutting. I haven't seen his property yet but he told me mostly softwood and up to ~20" dbh beech on the property. He's working on his ecology doctorate in Ann Arbor so I gotta believe he knows his trees. I have the makings of a couple 56-59cc husqereds but I just about had these given to me and I don't build many Stihls so I figured why not? Someone once told me Stihls are for selling, hopefully they're for gifting too.

Back