Project "junk", a slow build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't think he'll be doing much flush cutting. I haven't seen his property yet but he told me mostly softwood and up to ~20" dbh beech on the property. He's working on his ecology doctorate in Ann Arbor so I gotta believe he knows his trees. I have the makings of a couple 56-59cc husqereds but I just about had these given to me and I don't build many Stihls so I figured why not? Someone once told me Stihls are for selling, hopefully they're for gifting too.
Sounds like it will be a great saw for his needs.
I'm not sure who would say something like that.
Friends don't give friends stihls :laugh:.

I DID say this would be slow. I finally finished running everything through the parts washer. The crank bearings are tight, and I don't expect this saw to see heavy use, so I elected to keep the bottom end intact. It will get new seals, which will be ordered this week.
20180720_150241.jpg I rebuilt the Hong Kong Zama this morning at work.
20180721_080711.jpg
The impulse hose was stiff as a board, and the fuel line is a given to replace. The AV is all in great shape, so that will be re-used. My question is about the intake boot. It looks great, and it's very soft and pliable. I have no problem replacing it, but it seems very serviceable. Should it stay or go?

Intake is probably fine but look over all surfaces and flex the folds looking for cracks (or where cracks can start). If that saw has been wrenched on before, watch for over-zealous tightening of the intake clamp. The clamping surface shouldn’t be cut by the clamp at all... it could be indented, but not cut.

The impulse is Stihl’s conventional fuel line as you probably know. I’d use that over Tygon or anything else aftermarket.
Note the seal depth on both sides unless you already pulled ‘em or plan on using the Stihl seal tools.

Intake is probably fine but look over all surfaces and flex the folds looking for cracks (or where cracks can start). If that saw has been wrenched on before, watch for over-zealous tightening of the intake clamp. The clamping surface shouldn’t be cut by the clamp at all... it could be indented, but not cut.

The impulse is Stihl’s conventional fuel line as you probably know. I’d use that over Tygon or anything else aftermarket.
Note the seal depth on both sides unless you already pulled ‘em or plan on using the Stihl seal tools.
Great advice! I looked the boot over pretty closely. I won't pull the seals until I have the new ones.

Great advice! I looked the boot over pretty closely. I won't pull the seals until I have the new ones.
Most 1125s that come to me have bad fuel/impulse/oil lines. They were popular “farm saws” up here and lived a tough life. Some others had muffler issues, stripped screw holes, carb problems... a couple with shot bearings.

Most 1125s that come to me have bad fuel/impulse/oil lines. They were popular “farm saws” up here and lived a tough life. Some others had muffler issues, stripped screw holes, carb problems... a couple with shot bearings.
Luckily most of the farmers around here think they're bosses, and keep buying the same saws when one fails. I've mostly avoided them. When I get pro saws from farms they're usually gummed up.

Build is looking good. I’m no pro, but I’ll add in some things I’ve learned.

As BTB said above, some had shielded bearings. The starter screws on some early 034/S were M4. The clutch surround plastics came in a few variations, I’ve even see a few push in types without screws holding in place (was an 034).

I prefer the side tensioner. Came on 034S and 036.

Advance the timing now. .025 off the key, just like you said.

As for squish, I believe you will be too tight without a gasket. You can figure out some custom material to get you where u want to be. I have some brass shim stock here if you need it. Just PM me if you want some.

That HONG KONG Zama is a great carb.

Open the muffler.

You’ll need a metal air filter for any real performance. Also, remove the coarse screen at the top of the AF cover and drill some holes there, then replace screen. On this model it makes a crazy difference. Guys in Canada can get them easily. How much can a bad airfilter hold it back? Take a look at these curves on same 360 PRO.

FE46A318-8447-4E6C-9A43-9792E6C4A562.png 0727F960-D52E-4559-A30C-B85909A2583B.png C8F53993-7AF7-467A-BD15-939E3E1A06B8.png

Build is looking good. I’m no pro, but I’ll add in some things I’ve learned.

As BTB said above, some had shielded bearings. The starter screws on some early 034/S were M4. The clutch surround plastics came in a few variations, I’ve even see a few push in types without screws holding in place (was an 034).

I prefer the side tensioner. Came on 034S and 036.

Advance the timing now. .025 off the key, just like you said.

As for squish, I believe you will be too tight without a gasket. You can figure out some custom material to get you where u want to be. I have some brass shim stock here if you need it. Just PM me if you want some.

That HONG KONG Zama is a great carb.

Open the muffler.

You’ll need a metal air filter for any real performance. Also, remove the coarse screen at the top of the AF cover and drill some holes there, then replace screen. On this model it makes a crazy difference. Guys in Canada can get them easily. How much can a bad airfilter hold it back? Take a look at these curves on same 360 PRO.

View attachment 664531 View attachment 664532 View attachment 664533

So you're saying he should run it with no filter?:D

Joking aside, thanks for the info. Gives me some things to think about. Any Canadian with a PP account want to hook me up with a filter?

On squish; will it be close enough that I could get there with some sanding of the band? I've never done it but I have a bad 48mm piston that I could stick in there to sand with.

I chose to use the 036 chassis. It does have shielded mains. We use a newer parts washer at work with a solvent with microbes in it or some crap. It works great but over night the bottom locked up tight and I had to work some oil in. It's freed up fine now.

I have enough there of the 034 that I might as well bring that one back too. I probably won't bore everyone with an account of that build.

Here's my shopping list:
20180721_183326.jpg

I used a Coors Light can with Dirko for a base gasket on one 360.
These 1125s still use a paper gasket; I’ve been coating all rebuilds with loctite 518 recently.
Check that your case has the hole for the bar plate screw. Some did, some didn’t. I have one with no bar plate- just bumbers/guides in the case. They also make a plate that is a press fit over the bar studs.

Back