Project "junk", a slow build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Metal filters can let fines through for sure, so one has to think a bit. Dry dusty cutting means swapping in a flocked filter.

If your saw is stock, you can try a metal filter, but I bet it makes little difference over a flocked.

I’ll looks for a PN.

@Canadian farm boy ?
Thanks. I was wondering if it would do much on a stock saw. With the relative inexperience of the user a flocked filter may be a better idea. I may order one for the 034. Is it strange that I want to do that saw just for the 18" "made in Sweden" Stihl bar I recently aquired?

Here’s the 2 halves.

I did not realize just how low my reserves were.

They come this way, where you need to add your old screws, or assembled with screws (sorry-don’t have the PN).

My bet is that adding just the back half is enough to try for a stock or mildly warmed up saw.

I need to get some more.

As opposed to the metal 026 filters, these don’t have a PN cast on them that I can find.

The MS360 Trapezoid shaped filter will not fit your saw. It’s easily identifiable by the shape and the presence of a square compensating carb hole. The metal filter will outperform even the larger oem nylon MS360 filter on a ported saw.

58F4B575-D6C9-4ECB-8AEB-F32FAA6AC60E.jpeg EB2C57D7-2E53-415B-8A75-0BDD581F408A.jpeg

Great project. I am building a 55 Husky for my uncle in similar fashion. I will have about $80 into the saw/B+C when all is done and almost enough parts to build a second 55 for zero so the average price for two builds will be about $50 each.
I will be under $125 on this one, and the 034 will be starting from $0 unless someone convinces me to sell it before I get to it. I should be able to get it going for about $80 I think. The free and cheap ones are the most satisfying to finish. But then I think "I can sell that for $X and start over on a new one", so the door keeps revolving. 15 months ago I had sold every saw I owned. I'm back up to five runners and 10 parts units/projects as of today.

I will be under $125 on this one, and the 034 will be starting from $0 unless someone convinces me to sell it before I get to it. I should be able to get it going for about $80 I think. The free and cheap ones are the most satisfying to finish. But then I think "I can sell that for $X and start over on a new one", so the door keeps revolving. 15 months ago I had sold every saw I owned. I'm back up to five runners and 10 parts units/projects as of today.

Last 036 I did (freebee) cost me ~ $220 with all OEM ( OEM piston kit, seals rubber). But I put a new 20" ES bar , RS Chain and the clutch upgrade in ( ~$100).

What clutch drum did this one have? Little or big bearing?

Last 036 I did (freebee) cost me ~ $220 with all OEM ( OEM piston kit, seals rubber). But I put a new 20" ES bar , RS Chain and the clutch upgrade in ( ~$100).

What clutch drum did this one have? Little or big bearing?
That's a good question. The 036 was missing the clutch assembly and oiler, so I used the parts from the 034. It was much smaller than the piston pin bearing. I do remember thinking that it is kind of dinky. Does that answer your question?:hi:

Well I kinda struck out at the dealer today. I think you need the older style 036 air filter, and the guy behind the counter could only show me ipl's of the newer style 036 filters. However, he did say that if I had the serial number of the saw he could match it up in his system, or alternatively, if I could bring in a pic of the front and back of your original filter, he will match it up. He did know about the metal mesh filter and said he has sold them before.

So that's all I have to report. If you want to supply a couple pics or a serial number, I will go back again at the end of the week and try again. On a postive note, I did get my elastostart handle for my china build :)

So I finally got to fire this up over the weekend. Starts and idles great, but I can't get it enough fuel on the high end. It just revs to the moon. I'm in the middle of moving and a LOT of other projects right now so I ordered a kit for the other Zama from the 034. I'll try rebuilding that and get back to this one later.

So I finally got to fire this up over the weekend. Starts and idles great, but I can't get it enough fuel on the high end. It just revs to the moon. I'm in the middle of moving and a LOT of other projects right now so I ordered a kit for the other Zama from the 034. I'll try rebuilding that and get back to this one later.
Very Common issue.

Did you rebuild carb and do new fuel line?

Any place that can suck air or have reduced fuel flow can do it, including the fuel line at the carb elbow.

Very Common issue.

Did you rebuild carb and do new fuel line?

Any place that can suck air or have reduced fuel flow can do it, including the fuel line at the carb elbow.
I rebuilt the carb with a jen-you-wine Zama kit. The fuel line is new. New crank seals. Case holds pressure and vac. It idles very well very near the initial 1 turn out so I don't feel like it's an air leak. I will report back after I try the other one.

Nice. The fuel line hole on the 034 tank may need to be enlarged slightly for the 1127 line. The 036 should be ok...
I want to bring this back up @drf255 because the grommet molded into the line did seem like an extremely tight fit going into the tank. Has anyone had an 036 tank that the 1127 line didn't work without modification?

I want to bring this back up @drf255 because the grommet molded into the line did seem like an extremely tight fit going into the tank. Has anyone had an 036 tank that the 1127 line didn't work without modification?
034s, yes... I can’t say for sure on 036s (on work on a lot of basket case 1125s).

If the line actually fit, it’s unlikely to be the reason for the leak. Do you have a new, oem fuel filter? *The larger one

Impulse line the correct length and securely on the nipple?
I’d get into that carb again—- pull the screws and soak the carb (not gaskets) in cleaner.
Your other carb will tell ya if it’s something else.

Back