Project Log Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad Burnette

Muzzy17is
Reaction score
Project log splitter

By Brad Burnette 2/14/2018

My reasoning behind this venture remains a mystery even to me, but we’ll try. Approximately four years ago I was searching youtube and came across a post for “homemade firewood processor”. My attention was had. I watched several videos on these things and became more interested as after each video I watched. I then got to thinking “That might not be a bad little side gig to get going.” I continued to watch the different videos and gather all the info I could and after about four years of thinking about it I decided to do it.

I was talking with a couple of guys about building a splitter and they both said that they thought it would be a good idea. Living in Fl one might be a little hesitant to take on such a venture of splitting firewood, but with all of outside fire pit stuff going on now-a-days firewood is a lot bigger business than one may think. Anyhow the decision was made and I started my build.

I have always been good at scrounging up things that other people may have a hard time finding for the simple fact that I know where to look and know how to network and get other people to look out for me as well. Well, it was Monday morning, my first day off work and first chance to start this craziness. I woke up with the high horse attitude, waited on the bug man, and as soon as he was done spraying I jumped in my truck to head to the local scrap yard to begin scrounging for parts and low and behold there she sat, a hunk of steel that had been neglected and was in need of a new owner. It was screaming my name and then my jaw dropped, I had missed out. On the side of this beauty was marked SOLD in big bright green letters. Oh well I was there so I figured I’d make my rounds. I went up to the weight area and talked to the lady in charge. I’ve gotten to know her over the years and am on a first name basis with her so I always make it a point to chat with her for a few minutes every time I’m there. She looked at me and said, “What’s up buddy?” I nodded back and said:” I’m looking for a project”. She asked me what kind of project I was looking for and I said jokingly:” I liked the looks of that log splitter out there till’ I saw it marked sold.” She looked at me and said: “ that ain’t sold do you want it?” I asked her how much and she said $90.00. I then went and gave it a good looking over and I then became the owner of the rusty old splitter that kicked this sickness in gear.

Log splitter 1.jpg

Ain’t she perty! Now the fun begins!

After I got the splitter home I started doing my research. I went back and forth on pump size, motor size and what not and here is where I’m at. I looked at different used motors on craigslist and when you would ask the people if they run they’ll say something like “it runs good just need the carb cleaned and she’ll crank right up” or “it ran good before I put it in the shed.” After a bunch of this non-sense I decided to buy me a 6.5 Predator from Harbor Freight for $99. I then got me an 11 gpm 2 stage hydraulic pump and a 24 gpm valve with auto return detent from Rugged Made. Total with shipping ran me $223.18.

I have a 15 gallon stainless steel tank that I’m going to use for my Hydraulic oil. I acquired a larger hydraulic ram that I was told came off of a garbage truck that gave me plenty of splitting force and scrounged scrap metal from the scrap yard or other places to complete the build.

On 3/17/2018 I got the new hydraulic ram tentatively mounted in place, the new push plate in place and started to modify the splitting wedge.

log splitter 4.png

Log splitter 3.png

The ram is now mounted, motor is in place with pump and valve in place as well.

log splitter new cyl.jpg

On 4/30/2018 I decided to order the tank for my hydraulic oil in pic below. The other tank tank I had I thought it was a 15 gallon turned out to be a 25 gall which was way to big and would have taken a lot of oil. I think this one will do me better…we’ll see. It’s a 10 gallon.

10 gallon hydr tank.jpg

Over the last few days I finished up tightening up the loose ends and hooking up all my hoses. It is 98% complete. Today is 8/10/2018, last night I got the last of the parts needed to hook up my return filter. I’m gonna bust my butt on this thing Monday and hopefully if works like it’s supposed to I’ll be splitting wood on Monday and Tuesday.

It is Tuesday August 14, 20018. The splitter is finished. A couple of tweeks and I’ll be off and running. She’s doing alright though. Still have a little mods to do on the wedge. Here’s a little video of the completed project.

Project log splitter

By Brad Burnette 2/14/2018

My reasoning behind this venture remains a mystery even to me, but we’ll try. Approximately four years ago I was searching youtube and came across a post for “homemade firewood processor”. My attention was had. I watched several videos on these things and became more interested as after each video I watched. I then got to thinking “That might not be a bad little side gig to get going.” I continued to watch the different videos and gather all the info I could and after about four years of thinking about it I decided to do it.

I was talking with a couple of guys about building a splitter and they both said that they thought it would be a good idea. Living in Fl one might be a little hesitant to take on such a venture of splitting firewood, but with all of outside fire pit stuff going on now-a-days firewood is a lot bigger business than one may think. Anyhow the decision was made and I started my build.

I have always been good at scrounging up things that other people may have a hard time finding for the simple fact that I know where to look and know how to network and get other people to look out for me as well. Well, it was Monday morning, my first day off work and first chance to start this craziness. I woke up with the high horse attitude, waited on the bug man, and as soon as he was done spraying I jumped in my truck to head to the local scrap yard to begin scrounging for parts and low and behold there she sat, a hunk of steel that had been neglected and was in need of a new owner. It was screaming my name and then my jaw dropped, I had missed out. On the side of this beauty was marked SOLD in big bright green letters. Oh well I was there so I figured I’d make my rounds. I went up to the weight area and talked to the lady in charge. I’ve gotten to know her over the years and am on a first name basis with her so I always make it a point to chat with her for a few minutes every time I’m there. She looked at me and said, “What’s up buddy?” I nodded back and said:” I’m looking for a project”. She asked me what kind of project I was looking for and I said jokingly:” I liked the looks of that log splitter out there till’ I saw it marked sold.” She looked at me and said: “ that ain’t sold do you want it?” I asked her how much and she said $90.00. I then went and gave it a good looking over and I then became the owner of the rusty old splitter that kicked this sickness in gear.

View attachment 668929

Ain’t she perty! Now the fun begins!

After I got the splitter home I started doing my research. I went back and forth on pump size, motor size and what not and here is where I’m at. I looked at different used motors on craigslist and when you would ask the people if they run they’ll say something like “it runs good just need the carb cleaned and she’ll crank right up” or “it ran good before I put it in the shed.” After a bunch of this non-sense I decided to buy me a 6.5 Predator from Harbor Freight for $99. I then got me an 11 gpm 2 stage hydraulic pump and a 24 gpm valve with auto return detent from Rugged Made. Total with shipping ran me $223.18.

I have a 15 gallon stainless steel tank that I’m going to use for my Hydraulic oil. I acquired a larger hydraulic ram that I was told came off of a garbage truck that gave me plenty of splitting force and scrounged scrap metal from the scrap yard or other places to complete the build.

On 3/17/2018 I got the new hydraulic ram tentatively mounted in place, the new push plate in place and started to modify the splitting wedge.

View attachment 668920

View attachment 668921

The ram is now mounted, motor is in place with pump and valve in place as well.

View attachment 668922

On 4/30/2018 I decided to order the tank for my hydraulic oil in pic below. The other tank tank I had I thought it was a 15 gallon turned out to be a 25 gall which was way to big and would have taken a lot of oil. I think this one will do me better…we’ll see. It’s a 10 gallon.

View attachment 668923

Over the last few days I finished up tightening up the loose ends and hooking up all my hoses. It is 98% complete. Today is 8/10/2018, last night I got the last of the parts needed to hook up my return filter. I’m gonna bust my butt on this thing Monday and hopefully if works like it’s supposed to I’ll be splitting wood on Monday and Tuesday.

It is Tuesday August 14, 20018. The splitter is finished. A couple of tweeks and I’ll be off and running. She’s doing alright though. Still have a little mods to do on the wedge. Here’s a little video of the completed project.

Something is not right,the rod should retract much faster than it is...

Even with 3/8 hose,it should be much faster-yes 1/2 would be better-i think there is something else going on here,i would remove the hose and see how big the port is at the rod end of your cyl...

11 GPM pumps are painfully slow on that size of cylinder. Should have went with the 13 Hp motor and a 22 GPM pump. I know it cost more money just depends on how much wood you are going to split and how much time you have. I would change the hoses to 1/2 if the cylinder ports will accept it. That will help a little.

No expert here but something is not right. Return stroke sounds like it is under a load and is slower than the splitting stroke. All else being equal the return stroke should be quicker due to less pumped volume, or so I would think. Ron

I didn't what to be the first to criticize this build but now that some others have chimed in, please remember that I criticize to improve. Now no punches will be pulled.
Why build what you can buy? I realize that your splitting needs and mine are different. But why are you splitting kindling? I don't split anything under 8 inch rounds. That wedge design is horrible for small wood. Either cut the foot off for a slim knife, add a four way, or flair the whole length to separate the log faster.
That thing is bad slow. Even with a 11 gpm pump, your cycle times with that small wood should be 16 seconds for a full cycle. With the 1/2 cycle you are running you should have 8 second cycle times. Are you running at idle? You can also increase your flow by increasing the upper hose ( extend side.) It will increase the flow on the return stroke.
Ethanol is the death of small engines. Carbs are generally cheap, and what ethanol clogs up. A non running 12-20 horse lawnmower engine can be had for basically free. Sometimes fix it with a carb cleaner ( $10 and a half hour to take it down and put it back together) or a new carb ( $20 - 50) and for less than you spend on a HF engine, you could have a bigger pump.
I don't understand why you bought a smaller tank. Even if you stayed with the one you had, it would be cheaper to buy more fluid than buy a new tank. And you don't have to fill a tank all the way up, just enough to keep the return and pick up line submerged at all times. Splitting in the Florida heat a bigger tank with more fluid is never a bad idea.

I apologise if I am a little harsh as your situation may be very different than mine. I am also in the middle of a log splitter build, and these are the things I have figured out how to avoid in my build.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Motor is definitly laboring on the return stroke . Those 3/8 size line certainly aint helping. I painfully watched the video looking for clues as to the cause. You need to match the hose size to the port size on the cyl. It looks like one of the port hoses on the CV is actually larger than the other. I looked to see if the pusher slide had any movement on the beam. Is the slide partially binding on the Hbeam. A tight fit could be causeing the pressure needed to return the cyl to be greater than what is needed to split your wood. The binding would be more obvious on the return stroke than it would on extend because of piston area and rod area. It sounds as if the engine is under load like it is stuck in the low flow/high pressure side of the pump. This would account for the slow retraction speed.

Another possiblity might be the type of cyl you used. You said it came off a trash compactor. Is it possible the used cyl has built in counterbalance valves. The counter balance valves would be used in a cyl if the intended use was to support a load, to prevent the load from dropping in the event of a blown hose. They work by requireing a set amount of pressure on the retract side of the piston before the valve will open on the extend side, and allow the cyl to retract. Some counter balance valve cyl are adjustable and some require you change out a cartridge. I dont think I have ever seen one that couldnt be adjusted. Look at the end of your cyl where the hoses connect, I couldnt see in your video or pic's, and see if there are two more places that look like plugs have been screwed in. If there is, you have a counter balanced cyl. The plugs might have a locknut and allen screw, similar to a relief valve, that you can use to adjust the counter balance pressure. back these adjustment screws out until just finger tight and tighten the lock nut. This should lower the pressure required to open the CBV and allow the cyl to return without a load.

Good effort Brad. Once you get the flows sorted out and speed things up it should be pretty good. I'm sure you will sell some firewood with all the outdoor fire pits in Florida.

I know I won't get rich but I feel there is enough of a market to claim my share....I'm gonna switch my hoses to 1/2 asap and look for that adjustment screw.

When I built my splitter my brother had a MTD Yard Machine that was painfully sloooooow, you could smoke a cigarette, drink a beer, text your wife and still be done in time for the next piece of firewood. I made a vow to never have that happen to me on my build. I believe his was stuck in the high pressure low volume side of his pump. He sold it soon after I built mine :) Anyway something to consider looking into.
I didn't read all the way through but what size bore and what size rod is you cylinder? You could have a bad internal seal as well.

When I built my splitter my brother had a MTD Yard Machine that was painfully sloooooow, you could smoke a cigarette, drink a beer, text your wife and still be done in time for the next piece of firewood. I made a vow to never have that happen to me on my build. I believe his was stuck in the high pressure low volume side of his pump. He sold it soon after I built mine :) Anyway something to consider looking into.
I didn't read all the way through but what size bore and what size rod is you cylinder? You could have a bad internal seal as well.

It's a 4.5 in bore 2in rod. It is a used cylinder so it could have a bad seal. I'm gonna use it like it is and soon as I sell a little wood and get some money I'm gonna have the cylinder repacked and honed. Or I may just buy a new one. I'm gonna take it to a buddy of mine in a couple of days. He works on hydraulic stuff and I'm gonna see if he can figure it out.

It's a 4.5 in bore 2in rod. It is a used cylinder so it could have a bad seal. I'm gonna use it like it is and soon as I sell a little wood and get some money I'm gonna have the cylinder repacked and honed. Or I may just buy a new one. I'm gonna take it to a buddy of mine in a couple of days. He works on hydraulic stuff and I'm gonna see if he can figure it out.

A cylinder that big on an 11gpm pump isn't a great combo. I'm not saying you don't have other problems, but even it it was functioning properly it'd be slow. If you buy a new cylinder, a smaller cylinder would be a big improvement. Even a 3.5" will make plenty of tonnage to split almost anything though a regular wedge like that.

We’ll folks that old cylinder failed on me the other day. I’ve put about 1/2 cord through it and it wouldn’t retract and was leaking out the front. Tore it apart and the local hyd. shop said they had no clue where to get new inards due to age of cylinder. Bought a new cylinder from Northern tool today. Went with a Nortrac 3000 psi welded. 4” bore 24” stroke 1.75 rod. My specs are matching up with a lot of store bought splitters now so we shall see.

Put on the new cylinder and she is working awesome...no load noise on return stroke so that was definitely that other cylinder, detent is working perfect, only mod I may do is cut off and move rear cylinder mount back a few inches to get full use of cylinder/stroke but not a necessity right now.

Attachments

• new cylinder.jpg
    new cylinder.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 15
Here's a pic of my splitter with the side table we built for it. Gotta have a spot to set my big gulp!

Attachments

• 43112875_1878462802229640_7795203721972940800_n.jpg
    43112875_1878462802229640_7795203721972940800_n.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 23
Back