Propagation of Trees for Tree Farm

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex Moore

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm wanting to look at ramping up our propagation. I've tried cuttings for some evergreens and a couple of elms with no luck. I've been thinking about collecting seeds for some of the species of oaks we grow but am wondering if they will grow the same since they are hybrids (Regal Prince). Any body have any experience doing this and any success?

Thanks

i get my trees from state dept of forestry, but have toyed with idea of planting seeds in pots with new soil

Maybe you've tried this already, but you can get rooting compound (I think that's what it's called). You treat your stock with it, and plants that would not normally root can be coaxed into rooting. I have no personal experience, but got curious since legal weed here in Colorado often depends on cloning plants. I wondered, how do you clone a plant?

Simple, it turns out. A sprig of willow when stuck in damp ground will grow roots, due to the presence of some hormone (if I remember correctly). So you can brew from willow a liquid containing that substance, use it to treat another plant, and the treated plant stock will root as a result. Commercial rooting products are simply synthetic compounds based on that willow product. Perhaps it works on some plants and not others--I don't know.

You might look into this and try it. A simple internet search will explain things probably better than I have.

Latest posts

Back