Propane Now Pushing $5/gal?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This price for propane is really absurd. That equates to 18,000 BTU per dollar spent. You can buy nearly 40,000 BTU per dollar by buying gasoline or #2 oil instead. But, get this: I sell firewood for $200 per cord and that buys at least 20 million BTU of heat. So, my firewood delivers 100,000 BTU per dollar spent. That means that propane is now selling for about 5 times the price of firewood.

Please correct me if I am wrong and comment as you see fit.

What do you mean pushing...? $5 is yesterdays price.
Well, that's what it is here. The propane price more than doubled last week in Nebraska. I've heard prices as high as $5.50 a gallon in Wisconsin and $5.25 a gallon in Illinois. Rationing is in full force. It reminds me of gasoline and diesel fuel during Carter's administration.

I found a bunch of dry elm last week that I can split and offer for sale immediately. My demand for firewood has suddenly gone through the roof.

This price for propane is really absurd. That equates to 18,000 BTU per dollar spent. You can buy nearly 40,000 BTU per dollar by buying gasoline or #2 oil instead. But, get this: I sell firewood for $200 per cord and that buys at least 20 million BTU of heat. So, my firewood delivers 100,000 BTU per dollar spent. That means that propane is now selling for about 5 times the price of firewood.

Hearing $7 locally. All the propane is in TX and all that dirty firewood that people don't want to track in their house is in my stove. That I used to cook supper tonight after the power went out

was quoted 4.899/gal last Friday, don't need any (it's been back up for us for ten years now), just wanted to know what I would have been charged if the propane man had to come down the driveway....somehow the wife is much more in tune with my firewood hobby.

I like to grill with apple hickory or cherry. Gas grill is long gone

Hearing $7 locally. All the propane is in TX and all that dirty firewood that people don't want to track in their house is in my stove. That I used to cook supper tonight after the power went out

We lost power this morning @ -5 oF. 55 oF downstairs and 75 oF at coldest upstairs, wood is good.

Could still have warm/cooked food here too.

Th
Well, that's what it is here. The propane price more than doubled last week in Nebraska. I've heard prices as high as $5.50 a gallon in Wisconsin and $5.25 a gallon in Illinois. Rationing is in full force. It reminds me of gasoline and diesel fuel during Carter's administration.

I found a bunch of dry elm last week that I can split and offer for sale immediately. My demand for firewood has suddenly gone through the roof.

That's the marketplace at work. It will cycle again.

Local tavern ( I was chasing cheeseburgers) could only get 200 gal yesterday at near 4 clams a gallon, the guy is trying to run a business!!
Hot water is all I use L.P. for and I've been averaging 16-17 months on 200 gallons. I filled up last August at 1.51 a gallon, 1st full tank I've had since the OWB install back in '07. The price was right!!

The reason it is so high this year is because the agriculture industry had a wetter than normal fall and most of the propane was purchased ahead of this winter for the elevators. It is used to dry the grain for storage and they bought out a good amount. Of course, the polar vortex and colder winter didn't help this year at all. I figured you OWB guys wouldn't even use much propane anyway.

I'm not blaming farmers...lol..hell I'm one myself..and a corn farmer at that. I thought the question was why is it so high? Well, that's the reason and the fact that the pipelines cant keep up with demand......here in Houston TX is the propane hub of America, half the people I know are in the industry. I thought it was common knowledge of why its so high..There are at least 10 stories on Bloomberg website about it.

marketplace????? come and ding this post,,DELete....

Supply and demand. There are more people using it, so the demand is high and the supply is low. Once Spring comes the demand will be lower and the prices will drop. Sucks to pay high prices but that is why we should encourage more supply of fossil fuels in the market. More supply equals lower prices.

I would hope anyone that heats with propane would have done a pre buy back during the summer when the price was down.
Before I started using an OWB I always bought my winters worth of propane during the summer.
Feel for the folks that didn't or could not afford to plop down a couple grand ahead of time.

Back