Propane Now Pushing $5/gal?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You assume I am worked up. I am sitting here in front of the fire with the dog watching my 8 month son play. Life is good, the cost of my heat doesn't bother me as I was prepared. I simply trying to inject some logic into a conversation.

Now of course, you have to wonder how the price got to $5 or more in some places, right when everybody burning propane really needed it to stay warm.

Word has it that the USA shipped over 300,000 tons of propane to China in the middle of winter using tankers after it was shipped by rail to the Gulf. Now that we don't need propane for heating, the price is dirt cheap. Only in America. :(

Now of course, you have to wonder how the price got to $5 or more in some places, right when everybody burning propane really needed it to stay warm.

Word has it that the USA shipped over 300,000 tons of propane to China in the middle of winter using tankers after it was shipped by rail to the Gulf. Now that we don't need propane for heating, the price is dirt cheap. Only in America. :(

Ya man, it cracks me up when people talk about "our" oil and natgas and all that jazz. Drill baby drill, frack, baby frack!!

uh huh No it ain't "ours", it is some international corporation's oil and gas and propane and they sell it to the highest paying place they can find. They don't give a _____ if they can make more over yonder. Absolutely no different from the manufacturing industry, cheaper labor and no rules over there, that's where they go (for the most part).

Wall street and Bigco, inc ain't loyal to me, so I ain't loyal to them neither. Big political party A or B let's them get away with all this nonsense, they ain't loyal to me, so I ain't loyal to them.

Local sourced wood heat rules!

I called up and ordered a new wood/coal furnace for my father in-law last month from a very reputable outlet in Montana. The guy who I dealt with said that his outfit can hardly keep up with the amount of orders that they are getting this year for wood stoves/wood cook stoves/ wood furnaces, etc. Sounds like it is going to be a good year for firewooders!

What word? What was the source of your rumor? We need to start backing up with facts what we post on the internet. Rumor or fact?

In NW Ohio we have about $1.50 for 400 gallon fill-up if you own your tank
It is 1.66 for 400 g if you rent your tank.

I am hoping it will go down another 10-15 cents by early summer, then I will get my 500 g tank filled.

I ran short of LP for the DHW about a month ago... paid $1.44 per gallon.

Funny thing...
In late January, Iowa Senator Grassley (R) called for an investigation into propane prices... within days the price dropped by ½, and within a month prices fell below $2.00.
Just sayin'.

You would think that the department of energy would be sure to stay on top of this a lot better considering that little old ladies could freeze to death when rationing and huge price hikes come into play .. Then again this administration has done it's best to ensure all energy costs go up

You would think that the department of energy would be sure to stay on top of this a lot better considering that little old ladies could freeze to death when rationing and huge price hikes come into play .. Then again this administration has done it's best to ensure all energy costs go up

if you look at the really really big picture..the past several decades now has been the wilful looting and destruction of the US private sector middle class. Why? because that is where the true wealth starts, where it is created, and to the fatcats, too much was left in the productive middle class hands. too much wealth and money , the US middle class was the most successful in the history of the planet, and that just bugged them. Millionaires were being stymied in their quest to all be billionaires. they want the wealth and power, and it is easier for them to have an autocratic plutacracy, so that is what they are creating. china is their poster boy nation, they want something like that here. They want a two class feudal type society, just with modern technology. A part of a feudal society is a well established "enforcer" class, mercenaries and bureaucrats who work for the elite.

This is why they allow and encourage asset stripping and looting, they have no loyalties to the people here, only how fat their own bank accounts get, and how much raw power over other humans they can accrue. We are their prey animals, we are targets.

Don't you be back talkin massah, boy!

That's these goons gig, been like that for thousands of years. They wear different clothes than they did long ago, and have different official titles, but it's the same deal.

The crooks, murders, liars and thieves rise to the top, and also become the order givers, and there's always enough dudes kicking around ready and willing to follow any orders given, because the king/emperor/baron/prime minister/prez or sub facet goonling thereof "says so"..

Every evil thing these plutocrats have done over the ages has been "legal". Because they say-so. It has been "the LAW".

I have joked about it before, but they have "Caligula family" values. They are psychopaths. They may be in some cases quite brilliant, but they are evil.

The middle class didn't exist until after the Great Depression (not to be confused with the greater, permanent one that is in process now). It was a consequence if the incredible wealth of the age of oil, then of the worldwide empire established after WWII. Before that, there was an small extremely wealthy class and then there was everyone else, and the nation was in open revolt a large portion of the time. Thanks to the riches of oil and empire, there was enough to go around to establish a middle class to serve as a buffer that was invested in the system. Those riches are gone, the buffer can no longer be afforded and the middle class is history. It was nice growing up through the peak in per-capita income - the early 1970's. Welcome to 1914.

Why did you think they were building those pipelines - to get the oil & gas to you? It's to get it to coasts where it can be shipped to those who will pay more.

Ya man, it cracks me up when people talk about "our" oil and natgas and all that jazz. Drill baby drill, frack, baby frack!!

uh huh No it ain't "ours", it is some international corporation's oil and gas and propane and they sell it to the highest paying place they can find. They don't give a _____ if they can make more over yonder. Absolutely no different from the manufacturing industry, cheaper labor and no rules over there, that's where they go (for the most part).

Wall street and Bigco, inc ain't loyal to me, so I ain't loyal to them neither. Big political party A or B let's them get away with all this nonsense, they ain't loyal to me, so I ain't loyal to them.

Local sourced wood heat rules!
And how did they get it? Bought it fair and square, right? I agree though.

You ok Zogger? I agree with you 100 %, but I don't see you this worked up even in 'political'.

The people at the top of the economic food chain have always figured out a way to profit on the needs and wants of others. Human nature. Water is the big one on the auction block now, because that is the ultimate market to be 'cornered'. Nobody survives without it. Tough commodity to control, but there are folks trying to work it out for themselves. $5 a gallon for heating fuel or even gasoline is absolutely crazy. Put that price tag on potable water and see what happens.

Yeah, I can cite sources for the claims in this post.

i got a fuel receipt from 2003 when the propane tank was filled it was 1.06 447 gallons for 473.82 little over half left i only use it on very cold days and im been in the house for close to 7 years. i burned most of it in 2014 alone trying to heat a farm house built in the 1830's with single pane windows and dead mice for insulation is tough going. Most of the time the wood stove is more than enough but the bitter winter almost done me in running out of wood twice and to bogged down in ice to haul some wood in.

You ok Zogger? I agree with you 100 %, but I don't see you this worked up even in 'political'.

The people at the top of the economic food chain have always figured out a way to profit on the needs and wants of others. Human nature. Water is the big one on the auction block now, because that is the ultimate market to be 'cornered'. Nobody survives without it. Tough commodity to control, but there are folks trying to work it out for themselves. $5 a gallon for heating fuel or even gasoline is absolutely crazy. Put that price tag on potable water and see what happens.

Yeah, I can cite sources for the claims in this post.
I guess what many also do not realize is that propane only delivers 91,000 BTU/gal, about two-thirds of what heating oil kicks out. So, $5/gal propane is the same price as $7.50/gal heating oil. When was the last time that anyone paid $7.50/gal for No. 2 heating oil while filling up a 500 to 1000 gallon oil tank?

Latest posts

Back