Propane Now Pushing $5/gal?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, I will make a prediction. All the frack baby frack stuff has been a rather large shill and pump and dump. I don't think you will be seeing near as much "cheap energy" out of these endeavors as they were first going on about.
Exactly. Nice to see some folks have noticed anyway.

Is this thread going to end up in the Political section? Can we stick to pricing issues, and not worry about tin-foil hat crap, please?

I have a 500-gallon propane tank, sitting at 55% of capacity. It's been that way for 18 months, and I don't mind that at all. If prices stay high, I'll have to keep a loaded rifle (well, maybe *another* one) handy to deter propane poachers.

Jon

Is this thread going to end up in the Political section? Can we stick to pricing issues, and not worry about tin-foil hat crap, please?

I have a 500-gallon propane tank, sitting at 55% of capacity. It's been that way for 18 months, and I don't mind that at all. If prices stay high, I'll have to keep a loaded rifle (well, maybe *another* one) handy to deter propane poachers.

Jon
I just delivered another truckload of firewood to a customer racked up (see avatar). I showed him the truckload before I emptied it and stacked it. When we finished stacking it, I told him that my truckload of hardwood was worth about $500 if replaced with propane heat equivalent. He paid $110 to me for it and said, "Looks like you are probably underpriced but regardless, I will call you again before I buy firewood from anybody else."

My missus hates wood burning.

She thinks it's a sign of being poor. (high maintenance material girl)

I WILL have a Russian heater sitting in the space that now occupies her remote controlled propane fireplace.
before next Fall.

I'm no Physicist but know 20 ton of stone heated up will give off a bit O' heat eh?

Besides that we have 10 acres of woods with enough standing dead Ash to keep it fed for the rest of our days.

We are still burning the $1.19 stuff we got last Summer, and 4 electric space heaters, the furnace hasn't kicked on for awhile eh?

Yuyp she may see the light, because I refuse to pay any more than $2.50 a gallon for that ****.

I told her if it gets any worse I will pull the old Country Comfort outta the barn and put it right in the middle of her Great room!

I think its time to minus the the misses:laugh:

Cheaper to keep her.

We are sitting at 15% (1000 gallon tank)

If she freezes her butt off for a few weeks she may see the light?

She needs to learn a lesson or two about self sufficiency eh?

Guess she grew up pretty poor as did I, but we never saw anything like our Grandparents.

My Dear 86 year old Mother always says "people just don't know hard times these days".

She is as sharp as any 30 year old.

This makes me feel so good about installing the OWB 3 years ago. Friends thought I was crazy for burning wood. Now I just ask them if there heat bill is higher. I think propane will be never get bellow $2 again. Must be the prepper in me. Plus hearing story about the 30's from my grandparents. Life was hard on the farm back in the 30's. They even burned cow pies back then.

This makes me feel so good about installing the OWB 3 years ago. Friends thought I was crazy for burning wood. Now I just ask them if there heat bill is higher. I think propane will be never get bellow $2 again. Must be the prepper in me. Plus hearing story about the 30's from my grandparents. Life was hard on the farm back in the 30's. They even burned cow pies back then.

Great depression stories from my elders did it for me, along with that one really big blizzard, then the OPEC embargo and losing my job because of it.. Since living on my own, I have always stored food and whatever fuel I needed, as best I could. Saved my bacon more than once.

I also have never bought a single share of crooked bankster wall street stock, and I *will not*.

+1 Well said Zogger... I think a lot of people learned a good lesson from this past winter... A good topic would be "What would you do different"....

Great depression stories from my elders did it for me, along with that one really big blizzard, then the OPEC embargo and losing my job because of it.. Since living on my own, I have always stored food and whatever fuel I needed, as best I could. Saved my bacon more than once.

A friend at work bought propane the other day. I had to ask how much he paid. He could only get 100gallon and it cost him $700. He asked if I've bought any lately. I laughed and showed him some pic of my wood furnace. I love the fact that I finally made a very good decision by putting it in. I don't sell firewood but by my figures I have saved thousands already. That's money that stays in my pocket.

Some woman was on the news saying that she was not a hater or vindictive but "how can someone raise the price on me when I need it the most, I am disabled you know" holding her 6 year old on her hip. Only had a 200 gallon tank???? I am past feeling sorry for those who don't insulate and dont purchase enough storage. I remember paying for my wife college and only making 13 dollars an hour paying for all other expenses. The 500 dollars for R60 in the ceiling and 800 to own my tank was the cheapest thing I ever did. The wood stove paid off to.

Here's a couple of interesting figures. Suppose you have a 50,000 BTU/Hr propane furnace that you are using to heat the house. If it runs an hour at a fuel cost of $5/gal, it will cost you $2.70. Now suppose that you are burning firewood instead at a cost of $190 per cord. The same hour of burning in a similar sized furnace will cost you less than 50 cents.

I factored in a little higher efficiency for the propane furnace. Now of course unless it's really cold, neither heater will likely be running constantly, but propane could easily be costing some households $1,500 per month to burn.

I also have never bought a single share of crooked bankster wall street stock, and I *will not*.
I once owned stock in 68 banks. If ya can't beat 'em join 'em.

I once owned stock in 68 banks. If ya can't beat 'em join 'em.

HAHAHAHAHAHA! That there's funny! Yep, correct!

I have a buddy long time ago, didn't like stocks either. So he inherits a bunch. He sells all but one share in each (took the cash and bought rentals, he was a maintenance guy anyway), just so he can go to the shareholders meetings and complain about stuff.

I bought 100 gallons yesterday for 3.20 a gallon in Biloxi ms. It's normally about 2.20. I a gas fire place I use just to instantly knock the chill off in the morning when I'm getting ready for work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HAHAHAHAHAHA! That there's funny! Yep, correct!

I have a buddy long time ago, didn't like stocks either. So he inherits a bunch. He sells all but one share in each (took the cash and bought rentals, he was a maintenance guy anyway), just so he can go to the shareholders meetings and complain about stuff.

UNfortunately I also have to deal with renters (all on HUD) Dropping a bar of soap in a shower full of bankers might be the better option

Here's a couple of interesting figures. Suppose you have a 50,000 BTU/Hr propane furnace that you are using to heat the house. If it runs an hour at a fuel cost of $5/gal, it will cost you $2.70. Now suppose that you are burning firewood instead at a cost of $190 per cord. The same hour of burning in a similar sized furnace will cost you less than 50 cents.

I factored in a little higher efficiency for the propane furnace. Now of course unless it's really cold, neither heater will likely be running constantly, but propane could easily be costing some households $1,500 per month to burn.

At the prices I'm reading about,I would be around that $1500 per month number.
I dont remember exactly what we were paying per gallon but it averaged out to $450 per month for 6 months.
Now we have a 100 gallon tank that we top off every 2 years.

At the prices I'm reading about, I would be around that $1500 per month number.
I don't remember exactly what we were paying per gallon but it averaged out to $450 per month for 6 months.
Now we have a 100 gallon tank that we top off every 2 years.
That means you are not really heating the building with propane. You are peak shaving with propane as a back-up fuel.

propane only runs the stove/oven. I used to test the furnace every fall but have not done that in a few years.

Back