proper pruning 75' tulip

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My question.

OK, I have a question. Please chime in Guy and Doug.
You have a job to 'Crown clean' several Aleppo pine's ( or any kind ).
The trees are heavy and last trimmed years ago and badly.
You see that hundred's of stub's from really small to 6" in diameter thru-out the entire tree.
As part of a 'Crown clean' , would you cut the stub's even tho it is like a hundred wound's?
This is actually a real question and has to do with a job I am on and being overseen by a BCMA and registered consultant.
Jeff

Jeff

The trees are heavy and last trimmed years ago and badly.
You see that hundred's of stub's from really small to 6" in diameter thru-out the entire tree.
As part of a 'Crown clean' , would you cut the stub's even tho it is like a hundred wound's?
Jeff

I would OK removing of pine stubs if they are dead.. If they are alive.. leave them if it is aesthetically acceptable.

Nice work, The Dan. I saw that oak last spring but never in winter--fine silhouette. They do nice work there. :rock: You are spot on about the brain needing to be engaged and adapt, 'Rules are too absolute for Mother Nature" A. S.

What I think is funny weird is you look at that oak and say fine silhouette and I see lions tailed:confused:

I leave them, come back to them later. I tell my customers that "its too many wounds, at one time,lets get the original scope of work done, then I will come back in a couple to clean them up, it will cost you this much" If they want it done anyway, I do it, but let them know what the risk's are. If I have an uneasy feeling, I make them sign off on the work before I do it. Most of the time, they go with what I say. I hate doing those, when ya skin up a conifer, then drive by a few weeks later, so much sap coming out of some of them, that it looks like a stoners candle! Anyways, not saying its the end all, but thats what I do.

Do u guys ever get asked to cut out co-doms on a decurrent tree, essentially turning it into a excurrent tree?

What I think is funny weird is you look at that oak and say fine silhouette and I see lions tailed:confused:
It's a real old tree and has shed a lot of interior foliage. Still has branches on the inside--they don't gut it. Really hard to judge based on image with no details.

So Jeff did the specs get clear and written down?

It's a real old tree and has shed a lot of interior foliage. Still has branches on the inside--they don't gut it. Really hard to judge based on image with no details.

So Jeff did the specs get clear and written down?

Well yes old it is, however the limb on left side is clearly lions tailed and probably done before the Dan got into the job. It was probably done over the course of several years but I can see it is not natural especially on the left limb. That tree gets full sun it should not be be bare except on ends jmo.

Last edited:
Well 1st off the only load mouths are the ones posting videos of instructional destruction of a tree & trying out methods that only work in their heads..........

Guy, your subcontractors are more like it........cause you dont climb anything worth a hoot & cant run a bucket truck!!, you wanna preach new methods this & new methods that.............well try reading the publication that prints your fodder........cause many of the cited literature bases are pretty dated........

December issue arborist news page 28, cited Literature from 1984, 1989, 1990 & 1996

Now lets go to page 29...Sharon Lilly`s 3rd edition of the tree climbers companion, Now I`ve been to symposiums & while I have not met her personally, I have been within earshot of her.........."she writes specifically from the tree climbers perspective"...Like she has ever, & I mean ever had her bottom end aloft in a tree............But by goodness 3 editions later & a little money in her non climbing pockets..............yep, why dont they offer that up for free?

Now venture on over to Page 42 where Carl under the heading of Shigo Junkie makes the statement about Arbs who dont climb!!!

Your article is a basic 101 of BS mish mash & the use of the muppets "Ms. Piggy" & "Kermie" is about as dated as one can get, you wanna preach new methodology, scientific data....etc.......then why do we still cite almost 30 yr old literature? & to boot...they`re still selling that stuff & making money on it!!! why dont you tell them their theories & books are obsolete? Ooooo thats right you wouldnt be writing to many articles after an outburst like that..................actually, that might be a good thing!!!!.

This toxic post is a perfect example of the type of mudslinging that does so much damage to these internet forums. How many voices have you chased off with your ugliness?

This toxic post is a perfect example of the type of mudslinging that does so much damage to these internet forums. How many voices have you chased off with your ugliness?

Toxic post........? Look Mr. I drop it on the road, what I stated in that post is the "TRUTH", If the truth damages anything? so be it!!

You tell me, cause #1 Treeseer comes on here bla bla blabing about this n that & when some one shows him through his own admired publication just how wrong he/things are.............people like you wanna cry foul!!:cry:

There was no mudslinging in that post either...........the real question should be? how the hell do guys like you even make it?, you wanna promote yourself through silly videos showing recklessness & just plain out disregard for anything proper..........Even @ the other site they busted your twins & too boot I have no respect for someone who tries to come across like he`s all that through "LIES"............tell us Murph how is it you read the 4th edition of something that doesnt even exist!!!

As for your southern consultant friend & you.................I read your posts just fine & along with everyone else can pick out the BS...............even that customers dog in your one video knew you were full of it!!!! you keep stubbing, droppin on the road & doing those precision/extreme jobs:laugh: & we all will just keep laughing..................at you!!!!!!!

BTW........Seer was the one who mentioned Subs & never having ran a bucket.............I just took the obvious & re-posted it, Murph.....if your so good why dont you open up a school & teach? Rip thompkins did........I mean after all Murph those special cuts & techniques you incorporate are priceless.............:dizzy:

LXT...............

I almost forgot..........."how many voices I have chased off with my ugliness?"........LMFAO, you post a picture in your avatar looking like that & you have the nerve to ask such a question? fact is I only wish we here could run off the BS likes of you & a few others!!

LXT................:msp_flapper:

I almost forgot..........."how many voices I have chased off with my ugliness?"........LMFAO, you post a picture in your avatar looking like that & you have the nerve to ask such a question? fact is I only wish we here could run off the BS likes of you & a few others!!

Thowing mud again... its one of the major problems with the world.. a$$holes end up in charge, becasue decent folks don't take the time, energy and risk to stand up to them.. You keep spouting your ugliness with impunity, leaving this place a wasteland, and no one says a word.. No different than Cheyney implementing torture as a state policy and taking the world to war with lies and deception.. He gets away with it becasue no one says a word..

Murph, the only one spouting off is you!!! You come on here & make a statement about my "toxic" post, My "ugliness", etc.. & im the one mudslinging?

you & Seer post things & cite publications to justify what you say & do!!!!!! when some one else does the same...its now mudslinging & toxic........

why dont you answer the questions within my post?, tell us about that 4 th edition reading (lie)

You lost all credibility when you posted your work, I really have nothing more to say to you, all you will do is cry & pick out the parts of a post that is a snapshot of its entirety............only to promote some made up truth or justification for your own ego!!

The only reason the truth offends you: is because it makes you look like some of the other hack novices on here!!! & thats the truth, only reason many continue to converse with you is to find out if you are really as clueless as you portray your self in those videos!!

Hope you are doing better at justifying yourself @ the other site........from what ive seen it dont look good for you!!!

LXT..................

And for example a 2" stub is 75' up, what it looks like is hard to tell..

Right here is the stupidity I just cant let go............a 2" stub 75 up would be rather large as it is in the upper canopy of the tree :dizzy: a 2" stub shouldnt be left 10ft up in the tree let alone...........75Ft up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what it looks like should not be the issue? the issue is why would one leave such in the first place? Im sure you will tells us!! the truth is : laziness, poor workmanship & lack of care!! But im sure you will put a spin on how it was left & is proper :dizzy:

LXT................

Back