proper pruning 75' tulip

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hear alot of talk about proper pruning but in all honesty....how much pruning is done to satisfy the customer's want more so than the health of the tree or safety of customer. Anything more than pruning a deadlimb is unnecessary or improper but yet we all make money doing it. Almost every time the customer tells me to trim it like it is mine and I walk away and don't do anything, they get upset.....even though I did not charge them anything.

You need to read Ed Gilman's book.

I hear alot of talk about proper pruning but in all honesty....how much pruning is done to satisfy the customer's want more so than the health of the tree or safety of customer. Anything more than pruning a deadlimb is unnecessary or improper but yet we all make money doing it. Almost every time the customer tells me to trim it like it is mine and I walk away and don't do anything, they get upset.....even though I did not charge them anything.
What was the out come?

When you bow down, and don't educate, because it is a regular bid,
You are bidding against hacks,,
Jeff :popcorn:

What was the out come?

When you bow down, and don't educate, because it is a regular bid,
You are bidding against hacks,,
Jeff :popcorn:
I do quite a bit to educate customers. You have never had a customer complain about not trimming enough out fo the tree?
I try to educate them taking less is the best thing. I am a believer that more harm comes from pruning for purposes (clearance, fear, etc.) other than the health of the tree. Pruning dead limbs is a matter of safety and does little to improve the health of the tree (imho). Leave it to arboristsite to bring out the negative in everything. You could take ten guys out and ask them to prune/trim the exact tree and you are going to end up with 10 different results.
Who is right? How many different opinions are there on the this sight.

You are missing my point. The majority of my pruning is done out of the needs and wants of the customer, rather than the health of the tree. I understand the values of pruning but I think in the case of this video...the tree would have been fine without the pruning in my opinion. I just think pruning is so subjective to the pruner and there are so many factors that go into what should be pruned on each tree it is done incorrectly most times.

You need to read Ed Gilman's book.
He has many good points......and you are missing my point. I was not speaking of what is right or wrong....I was speaking about what actually is done in the real world.....most of it is for purposes other than the health of the tree.

I read my post and admit I made a mistake. There are many reasons for pruning trees. I was wrong in saying "anything more than a deadlimb is unnecessary".....there are many reasons. In my area....I think there is so much topping that goes on that I fight people to do the right thing and when you properly prune a tree....the overall size is not reduced significantly.

I read my post and admit I made a mistake. There are many reasons for pruning trees. I was wrong in saying "anything more than a deadlimb is unnecessary".....there are many reasons. In my area....I think there is so much topping that goes on that I fight people to do the right thing and when you properly prune a tree....the overall size is not reduced significantly.
I think that is the time for education. When I go on bids that are asking for topping or over pruning. I will go over the pros and cons in detail. I try to re educate them. I want them to walk away smarter, not confused. I warn them up front of what to expect to see. Some trees, after dead wooding, look like ya took half the tree, even tho you didnt take anything live, where as others, you cant really tell that someone was even in the tree. Alot of people get concerned with size, I try to explain why most of the time, their concerns are conjured up out of false info. "the tree is leaning" Nope it just wants sun. " that big branch over the deck, its going to fall" Nope, actually that is the best one on the tree, but lets talk about the large chunk of deadwood at the top.

Yes you are right, and if you would be pruning for the sake of the tree instead of the customer then you'd be walking away from a lot of business. I agree less is more and more unessary pruning promotes faster growth which can be a bad thing but when it comes to a HO who is going to have his tree trimmed no matter what would you rather do it or have some hack come and top the **** out of it.

I've been reading this thread for awhile now and have found some very good insight and others oh well. I do agree with Teamtree about having 10 different pruning results. As far as proper pruning of this tulip, I believe it is called topping, if you reduce the crown by how ever much you want, it is being topped. If you stay within the interior of the tree and remove how ever much you are going to remove, this is called pruning. Now all depends on how much you remove, will determine whether your just a hack or a butcher or someone trying to do best for the tree. So I think this Tulip got topped not pruned.

It's funny how these treads get started showing quote on quote Proper Pruning but never see follow up results. If your going to promote a video about proper pruning then show us results if your trying to sell something. Earth to Murph???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm curious to see the results 20 or more years later on an old tree (located in the Northeastern USA or Canada) with lots of decay and low vigour that has been heavily reduction pruning or "retrenched" to give it the secret of immortality via beauty cream treatments. Waving the magic pruning wand supposedly makes the old girl become a teenager again. Dr. Murphy and Associates get to periodically bill the client for taking the revitalized Joan Rivers under his personal care: fertilizing / mulching / aerating, more pruning, some cabling, more pruning, inspections, soil tests, unexpected deadwooding / limb failure remediation, (just a minor setback - sorry to hear your parked car got whacked) dammit more pruning, and so on to keep the ole girl looking spiffy.

I've been reading this thread for awhile now and have found some very good insight and others oh well. I do agree with Teamtree about having 10 different pruning results. As far as proper pruning of this tulip, I believe it is called topping, if you reduce the crown by how ever much you want, it is being topped. If you stay within the interior of the tree and remove how ever much you are going to remove, this is called pruning. Now all depends on how much you remove, will determine whether your just a hack or a butcher or someone trying to do best for the tree. So I think this Tulip got topped not pruned.

Topping is defined as reducing the height of the tree using an internodal cut. If you reduce the stem by taking it back to a proper lateral (1/3 diameter) then it's defined as drop crotch pruning.

There are many legitimate reasons why trees are reduced, either in height or girth and not considered topping. For example in conifers, you may be establishing a hedge. Around here, a 40' high cedar hedge is not uncommon. I know of some 65' cypress trees that are sheared and retopped every 3 years. In the past, many conifers were topped (due to ignorance of practice) and now have multi topped, poorly attached leaders. For many customers retopping these trees is financially more tolerable than a removal.

On deciduous trees, you may reduce or subordinate codominates to establish a strong central leader. The key is to subordinate back to a proper lateral.

Arboriculture isn't rocket science, it's way more complex than that.

I hate taking large limbs off for customers. Most times they don't care what I tell them, so I relent and give them a quote for a 12" limb and take it to the collar.

Wish people would care but there's only so much talking I can do until I realize I'm late for the next appt.

Yep! that is what it comes down to, I find the longer I'm in this profession the less I care about the tree because it doesn't matter what you say to the customer they have the final word.

I do the best job I can for a fair price, and hopefully they recommend me to others.
A good reputation is really important in a small town.

Back