proper time to plant

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HUSKYMAN

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
This may seem like a simple question but when is the best time to plant a new sapling, say 4-6' tall? The spring or the fall. I live in Michigan if that helps any. Thanks

Not knowing the type of tree, I have greater success planting most trees in the fall, Sept here in VA. The size your putting in should not have many problems.

Jay Banks
Certified Arborist
Urban Forester

I am not planting anything exotic, just maple and oak and birch. I am thinking about planting one now but I dont want to if is too late in the season.

I remember hearing that birches die if you don't plant them in a certain season. But for the life of me i cannot remember if it is spring or fall.

Lotta help, hey?

If you have the trees now they should go into the ground now.

The problem arises if you are considering having the stock dug. Oaks should only be dug in the spring. If they are dug in the spring and held in a nursery, with adaquate watering they may still be planted in the fall. I don't like to wait until fall and I refuse stock that I feel has been held to long.

Jay Banks
Certified Arborist
Urban Forester

Back