Proper way to brace a mature flowering tree that was blown over?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

testdepth

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am not sure of the name of the tree but it has three large limbs coming from one root ball and the tree is approximately 20 to 30 feet tall. The limbs are 6" to 8" in diameter. This is a flowering tree it's 79yr old disabled owner wants to save.

During hurricane IRMA this tree blew over and is resting on a large grapevine frame that prevented it from completely going to the ground. Some of the larger roots at the base are pulled up but not broken. I am hoping to pull it back straight and either brace it or stake it or both. I just don't know the proper way that won't damage the tree. Suggestions please?

Nearby trees to cable it to? At the least, it will need 3 anchor cables for 4 or 5 years minimum IF it survives.
Photo for identification ?
Many species can fall over and continue growing, one finds some interesting examples in the woods still growing. Others will only live 2 or 3 more years, then die.

Nearby trees to cable it to? At the least, it will need 3 anchor cables for 4 or 5 years minimum IF it survives.
Photo for identification ?
Many species can fall over and continue growing, one finds some interesting examples in the woods still growing. Others will only live 2 or 3 more years, then die.

Closest tree is about 100' or more. She mainly wants to stand it back straight to get it off her grapevine frame and also save the tree.

Do you screw anchors into the tree and then stake to the ground?
Wrap cable around tree and stake?
Use 2x4 bracing against the tree to keep it upright?

Get a eye hook and put it about 3 quarters up in the soild part of the tree. Dig a hole at least 4 foot deep the deeper the better. Attach a cable to a car rim and burry it in the hole with cable out and the other end of cable to run threw the eye hook. Use a wench or come a long to pull it back up, might need to trim some of the limbs on the down side to make the weight even up . when the tree is up up right and use a cable clamp to secure it. I know it sounds hillbilly but it works. I have seen it done muiltable times.

Get a eye hook and put it about 3 quarters up in the soild part of the tree. Dig a hole at least 4 foot deep the deeper the better. Attach a cable to a car rim and burry it in the hole with cable out and the other end of cable to run threw the eye hook. Use a wench or come a long to pull it back up, might need to trim some of the limbs on the down side to make the weight even up . when the tree is up up right and use a cable clamp to secure it. I know it sounds hillbilly but it works. I have seen it done muiltable times.

Ps it put a cable around the tree it will grow around it and make it week . it yout insisted on putting some thing around it use something rubber a intertube or waterhose so it will stretch.

The person that showed me this, died in 1995 but he use to write a weekly article in the Modesto Bee "Trees of the Valley" for years. He was 80 year old arborist John M Hauler.

How big is the trunk? I'd imagine an 80 yr old tree would be quite large.

Latest posts

Back