Pro's and Con's of the cold

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sb47

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
How many of you like the cold and how many hate it and why.

About the only pro for me is food does not spoil as fast and firewood sales are good.
My list of con's is long.
I don't like to shiver.
I don't like that my hands, fingers, ears and feet get cold and it can be very painful when you bust a knuckle.
I don't like having to winterize everything.
It tends to kill car battery's and diesel fuel can jell up and you have to have a block heater just to keep it ready to go.
When snow hist the ground, yard work stops and you have to shovel snow all the time.
Water freezes and my animals can't drink ice so I have to break the ice or take them some fresh water.
When it ices up you can't drive anywhere and it tends to tear up the trees form the weight.
Power goes out because of iced up power lines.
You have to dress in layers and that makes it harder to move around, and it makes for more laundry.
Having to take warm close in the car in case you get stranded.
Heating the house drys up the air and makes my sinuses dry up or when I go outside my nose constantly runs.
I could go on and on but I will stop here and let everyone else chime in.

Here’s a few.

Pros: Ice fishing, other winter sports, can cut wood without overheating. No AC bills. No poisonous snakes or other critters. Not a lot of people want to “move here” which reduces crime.

Cons: high heating bills if you don’t burn wood. **** breaks more frequently in the cold then it’s much more difficult to repair unless you have a heated shop. People ***** about the weather constantly. Icy roads. Frozen pipes. Being cold in general. Gain weight every winter cause you don’t want to leave the house.

My feet freeze from October to May. I’ve tried everything. I’ve researched the causes and can’t find my problem. My wife says it’s all in my head and she may be right.
If I’m out cutting wood in cool weather, I never notice it until I stop.
I’m an outdoors guy and dislike the short daylight hours. I would go nuts in Alaska.
I see Big guys that wear shorts in the winter. I’m envious.

Pros:
Can light my fireplace. I love a nice fire.
Working outside is easier when it's not hot.
No rattlesnakes.
I don't die from the sun/heat when driving the convertibles.
Wildfire season is over.

Cons:
It's cold in the house when I wake up, sometimes in the low 50's.
I occasionally have to wear pants instead of shorts to play golf lol.

Pro: Not over crowded. I’m glad there isn’t an over abundance of us that enjoy the snow. No 6 lane highways and hours of traffic jams. My family all moved to Florida. I hate it. Fun for maybe a week a year but unfortunately spend most of the time in the car trying to get to the tourist spots. AKA the whole state.

Con: Not very much I can think about. Heat kills things just as fast as cold does. Snowmobile in the winter and ATV in the summer. I tend to enjoy all weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does Texas get cold?

Our temps jump up and down a lot so you can't acclimate to the cold.
But it dose sometimes get down in the low teens but that not very often.
The other day at noon it was 74* and a front blew in and in 20 min it dropped down to 50* then bottomed out about 31* overnight.
It's supposed to worm back up to the low 70"s in a few days. I remember one winter it stayed below freezing for 11 days strait.
Texas is big so it all depends on where you are. Up north in Dallas I'm sure it's a lot colder then down here where I'm at.
Last year my one acre pond froze over solid with about 1'' of ice.
Tonight's low is supposed to be 29/30*

Our temps jump up and down a lot so you can't acclimate to the cold.
But it dose sometimes get down in the low teens but that not very often.
The other day at noon it was 74* and a front blew in and in 20 min it dropped down to 50* then bottomed out about 31* overnight.
It's supposed to worm back up to the low 70"s in a few days. I remember one winter it stayed below freezing for 11 days strait.
Texas is big so it all depends on where you are. Up north in Dallas I'm sure it's a lot colder then down here where I'm at.
Last year my one acre pond froze over solid with about 1'' of ice.
Tonight's low is supposed to be 29/30*

That makes sense. When the seasons change I notice the temps more than when they've been consistent for a while.

I love winter.
Firewood sales are good. So I have cash.
I cut wood Monday in 20* and drizzle 30 mph wind. Still better than filling bbq orders when it 100.
Keeps rattlesnakes close to home.
Don’t have to ice my beer and can actually drink it since I’m not sweating gallons of water.
Lower bills.
My day job is really slow.
I love snow/ice days where you need 4x4

Bad things.
No garden. I like my garden.
Wife won’t help when it’s below 50
Sucks working on stuff. (I should have a shop built a month from now!)
Kids and jackets.
Wife gripes a lot since kids are inside more.

Of course here in Texas a cold spell is usually 2-3 days. It may freeze at night but gets 45 after lunch. Pretty rare to stay frozen more than 2-3 days.

Back