Pro's and Con's of the cold

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How many of you like the cold and how many hate it and why.

About the only pro for me is food does not spoil as fast and firewood sales are good.
My list of con's is long.
I don't like to shiver.
I don't like that my hands, fingers, ears and feet get cold and it can be very painful when you bust a knuckle.
I don't like having to winterize everything.
It tends to kill car battery's and diesel fuel can jell up and you have to have a block heater just to keep it ready to go.
When snow hist the ground, yard work stops and you have to shovel snow all the time.
Water freezes and my animals can't drink ice so I have to break the ice or take them some fresh water.
When it ices up you can't drive anywhere and it tends to tear up the trees form the weight.
Power goes out because of iced up power lines.
You have to dress in layers and that makes it harder to move around, and it makes for more laundry.
Having to take warm close in the car in case you get stranded.
Heating the house drys up the air and makes my sinuses dry up or when I go outside my nose constantly runs.
I could go on and on but I will stop here and let everyone else chime in.
You forgot one...
No bugs eating you alive while cutting or splitting.

Con: Winter weather tends to make static build up an issue. I was getting ready for bed and undressing in the dark the other night and sparks were jumping everywhere. Nothing like reaching for a door knob and getting zapped.
Ha,ha...my eyes bugged for a sec and thought you wrote "raped" (OMG)

Pros:
Can light my fireplace. I love a nice fire.
Working outside is easier when it's not hot.
No rattlesnakes.
I don't die from the sun/heat when driving the convertibles.
Wildfire season is over.

Cons:
It's cold in the house when I wake up, sometimes in the low 50's.
I occasionally have to wear pants instead of shorts to play golf lol.
Wow, sure is different in a hot climate like that.
Come to Southern Ontario for a few Winter seasons to see the differences.
No wildfires here, but very hot Summers too.
We get ice storms and blizzards for 3 months of the year though.
Fall is nicest weather in my opinion.
Spring is a bit too wet for me.
However if you like skiing, snowmobiling and ice fishing, this is one of the world's best places to live.
Actually, Ontario has 1/3 of the worlds fresh water in our hundreds of thousands of lakes and rivers.
Best sport fishing on the planet, along with some of the US states like Min., Wis., Mich., etc.
Quebec is equally good for fishing.
Actually the whole of North American is great freshwater sport fishing isn't it?

We had a cold front come through about 2 weeks ago and it dropped from 75 at noon to 30 overnight. Stayed cold and rainy for about 4/5 days then wormed up.
The last week has been stellar. Highs in the low upper 60's/low 70's and lows in the high 40's/ low 50's. Clear blue sky's with no humidity or wind. Absolutely fantastic weather.

I cut year around, just slower in the summer.

Late Fall/Winter is my pro.
Bugs, lack of.
Sweating much less.
Water temps cool and trolling for lake trout gets shallower and much better. Watauga lake.
Trout fishing in general gets better.
Squirrels come out and are easier to see, and shoot.

My summer pro list is limited
More time off. I work in the school system.

Shea

Now today is a pro day. The 10 inches of snow we got a couple weeks ago is gone. Its sunny and in the 40s. Perfect day to get something done outside. Only issue is its deer season. I'm not hunting this year but I'd hate to be that guy cutting down trees while everyone around me is hunting.

During bow season I cut a lot of trees but I'll let gun season slide. I still have some of the deer I shot last year in the freezer so no need to kill another. I'm just not feeling it this year. My house is in the woods so getting out in the woods doesnt excite me like it does for suburban people. Everytime I look out the window I see dead ash that needs to be cut.

Since built attached garage with floor heat, winter not the worst thing.
Warm vehicle every morning, no scraping.
Skidloader starts decent and if I plug block heater in, no issues, I treat fuel so no jellin up. Don't mind pushin snow.
Love ice fishing, dont do as much anymore.
Get to burn wood.
No bugs.
Bird hunting is fun.

Con...
Splitter starts hard when fluid is cold.
Hauling wood down stairs sucks.
Colds suck.

Man I apparently like winter i guess....huh

Back