• ArboristSite has decided that due to the abusive interactions users are having with each other in the political forum, we will no longer be providing a place to talk politics on this forum. Any political posts will be deleted once discovered or reported to us. We are sorry for this inconvenience.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors
www.harvesterbars.com

Protect The Second Growth

Trdoldtreecutter

Trdoldtreecutter

ArboristSite Member
Lol, that’s funny. I really don’t mind they stopped a lot of the federal logging in the high country here. Not a very good grow cycle and it is neat to be able to find a big pumpkin if a person feels the need.

northmanlogging

northmanlogging

The gyppo's gyppo
Another thing is the computerized mills won’t take anything over 36”, so they can’t let that stuff grow too long or it ain’t worth **** unless it’s export grade and that ain’t likely from a young fat tree
There are still a hand full of oversize mills left, and around here they pay better then everyone else. The computer mills here don't like anything over 30" but they hammer through the wood in a big damned hurry, SP Shelton was getting over 200 trucks a day winter before last.

Export top size depending on the yard is down to 7” now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Export, 8" here, domestic 5"

Mills like manke make a fortune off the oversize. I used to do residential tree work on the weekends and a lot of backyard logging. I would send the oversize to a private mill and pay to have it milled before I’d give it away to manke or the like
Mange can kiss my ass, especially the Tacoma yard, janky set up from the gate in, trucks lining up on a blind corner in the street, one scaler that ONLY scales on the truck, or by weight, both are crap without the occasional rollout to keep em honest. then you have to weave through their yard, dodging morons on fork lifts and 20 2x4's hanging out of piles at eye level, cross the same street you were parked on earlier to get to the trailer loader, that may or may not work. Not to mention its Tacoma... which for me means going through Seattle, or accros the Narrows bridge... which as a bridge is neat, but as a toll bridge ****ing lame. (note: all toll bridges on state highways are ****ing lame)

northmanlogging

northmanlogging

The gyppo's gyppo
Lol, well, manke does take just about everything which helps clean up some landings and make use of otherwise useless wood. It does feel like robbery when you send them some big rough logs though
Formark does the same thing, but at least the yards make sense, and you don't fear for you life driving through.

Or we have a couple smaller mills up here that take everything including cotton weed, (**** they even pay decent for the cotton weeds lol) same deal though, the scale is often less then desired. But the wood isn't choking up the landing, and you at least don't have to pay to get rid of it.