Proximity to pollinators

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmfriel

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi, we just moved to High Rolls, NM. We only have a half acre so space is limited. today I planted a Majestic Peach tree and a Honeycrisp Apple. We are close (1/4 mile) to several commercial orchards. I was wondering if I will need to plant more trees for cross pollination or will the orchards in the area take care of it? Thanks

depends on what bees the big orchard is using. honeybees will travel up to a mile but may not travel that far if the have plenty of pollen close by. if you need another apple tree try crimson crisp.

Most crabapples will pollenate an apple tree. I only wish I could grow peach trees.

My uncle who grew commercial apples in Washington state would plant 3-5 siberian crabapples in the middle of some 40 acre orchards. Said they had a long bloom period and would pollenate the whole orchard when the bees were lazy and didn't want to fly very far.

Some trees need to be closer. I've heard that pears are hard to pollenate, so you plant different cultivars closer together so that more bees have visited both.

Latest posts

Back