pruning a large oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tape

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
This is the oak I'm pruning,tree.JPG
tree-jpg.677918

The red O is the branch I am trying to cut off, the blue arrow is where my rope is attached too, the top of the ladder is at 16ft.
My fear comes from not completely trusting my equipment, I have bought good quality equipment but still have a trust issue. I cannot physically climb as well now that I'm 56yrs. To ascend I made & use a Prusik knot line about 5ft long and tie it to the rope and use it as a step as I ascend. I'm trying to do it as basic as possible because I'm also carrying up a chainsaw.

Can you suggest another way easier than what I am doing to get to my destination? I am very scared once I get to the second branch above the ladder.

It is very unusual for me to admit I am "scared" because I have never been scared of tasks like this in my younger days when I was 10ft tall and bulletproof.

Are you guys scared as well when doing tasks similar to this?
Do you fully trust your equipment?

When doing something like this do all of you "always" have a lifeline attached or are there some here that free climb?

My biggest issue is "fear" which is causing this job to progress slowly and paying someone else to do it is out of the question for now. I want to cut my own trees.

Also keep in mind I've only been doing this tree work since June of this year. I have cut down about 5-30 to 50ft pines since June without a incident YET, being fearful makes me think through everything about 5 times, it is really a mind intercourse if you catch my drift.

Also, can I use this for climbing my main line and have this attached to me as I ascend without having to advance it as I go?

610CESgS0IL._SL1000_.jpg

Stay tied in 100% of the time, no exceptions. Tie in twice when operating a chainsaw.
What are you cutting the limb?
I'm cutting all the limbs facing the house, the tree is on an incline and I want to take the weight off of the house side in case it falls I hope it goes the opposite direction.

Your tie in point needs to be above the limb you want to prune, as you need to be above the limb when cutting it. You should be connected to your climbing line with some sort of friction hitch and also lanyard in while cutting.
If you are that uncomfortable I would have someone with experience prune the limbs.
As was said earlier, mature oaks do not like big pruning wounds.

Your tie in point needs to be above the limb you want to prune, as you need to be above the limb when cutting it. .......
This. To save your life. (and leave the ladder away)

.......As was said earlier, mature oaks do not like big pruning wounds.......
This to maintain the tree's health.

That limb isn't going anywhere outside of a major major storm.

And prune those others stubs back to a branch collar (but not a flush cut).

Latest posts

Back