Pruning poplar and landscaping around them

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All fun and games till the branch knocks your beer out of the cup holder, then she’s war and the chainsaw will win lol

A good looking healthy landscape isn't all about the lawn.
True, but these branches that shoot out all over the place and are hanging on the ground look like crap too.

I actually prefer less grass lol. The grass is usually getting to be high maintenance during the summer when Im in the middle of incrop spraying and don’t have the time to cut it every second day!

Maybe a Pin Cherry tree would be nice. It'll do well in zone 3, otherwise Arborvitae or any number of pine or spruce tree has to be better than Poplar. Good luck. I hear a chainsaw in the background, are you getting it warmed up already?

Red Maple is a nice looking shade tree, RedBud is a smallish ornamental tree that has purple blossoms in the spring. IMO anything is better than Poplar.
I have two red maples age 5-7, planted in December. They are preforming differently, wondering if the taller one with less leaves should be pruned? Any direction helpful. We are in Lake Conroe TX area with Clay like soil.

Attachments

• 20210402_100740.jpg
    20210402_100740.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210402_100732.jpg
    20210402_100732.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Maybe a Pin Cherry tree would be nice. It'll do well in zone 3, otherwise Arborvitae or any number of pine or spruce tree has to be better than Poplar. Good luck. I hear a chainsaw in the background, are you getting it warmed up already?

it’s really warming up outside now, the snow melted good yesterday. It’s definitely time to get it done!

I’ll probably start hacking away at them either tonight or tomorrow. With the forecasted temperatures it’s not going to be long before the trees start coming back to life

It is tempting to just trim them right down to the stump, but I don’t want to wait till I’m 90 before I have that level of wind/sun break again lol

I have two red maples age 5-7, planted in December. They are preforming differently, wondering if the taller one with less leaves should be pruned? Any direction helpful. We are in Lake Conroe TX area with Clay like soil.
Fertilizer sticks work well to help with growth. Don't prune until all leaves have fallen off in the fall.

Back