Pruning sealer?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtysteev

Reaction score
Once upon a time it was standard practice to paint some goo or another on pruning wounds. Seems to be a matter up for discussion now. What is the consensus here? Specifically talking about hardwoods, conifers don’t really get/need pruning in my neck o the woods.

old school tree seal - they said it was good; then they decided to leave it open and heal. the seal ended up keping moisture etc in which did cause trouble plus the mess of dealing with that stuff. TreeKote was the name if my near 70 yrs rings a bell. i stopped using that stuff decades ago. i have many rare Japanese maples and evergreens and never us anything. so far i have been in good shape. cleaning the tools with the clorox wipes is suggested. esp in the vineyard.

I ran a tree spade for 30 years moving all kinds of oaks and pine trees. Most needed pruning and shaping ether before or after they were moved. We never used any kind of pruning paint. As long as you leave that little ring around the limb intact, it would heal just fine on it's own. It works on all size limbs, even large ones. Many uneducated people want to cut the limb off flush to the trunk and that removes the ring that will heal the wound. Personally I think painting the wound just causes more problems then it fixes.

Latest posts

Back