pruning silver maple

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cajun

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I live in Lafayette Louisiana and I have a silver maple tree that has a side branch coming off of the main tree that needs trimming. It is about 4-5 inches in diameter. I need to know the proper way to prune this branch and at what time of year would be the best time. Also should I put anything on the cut after it is done? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Cajun

Cajun - our resident pruning expert is treeclimber 165, so I'll let him give you the best advice about pruning. Regarding dressing the wounds, put nothing on them. A proper cut is the most important disease-fighting tool to be used.

Why thank you, John! :)
The best advice I can give you is
1. Don't cut the limb all off in 1 piece. Make your first cut a foot or two out from the trunk so that if the bark peels, it won't peel into the trunk.
2. Make your last cut at the branch collar. The swollen area where the limb attaches to the tree belongs to the TRUNK, not the LIMB. Cut all the limb without cutting into the trunk or collar. If you 'flush cut' the limb, it won't heal over and will leave the tree exposed to future decay. A proper 4"-5" cut should heal over in just a few years.

Thank you guys ever so much. I really appreciate the help. Is any time a good time to cut it or should I wait till the fall/winter?

Minor to medium pruning can be done pretty much year around. I'm sure there are seasonal effects up north, but here in FL we prune year 'round. Go for it! :)

Latest posts

Back