Publications

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HUSKYMAN

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I am interested in learning more about the arborist industry, and would like to know if there are any good publications (magazines, internet sites, etc) out there with good information and illustrations. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

I dont want to start any thing hear, as in putting web sites on this forum. I do not want to get into a war of words. On another post I just cannot come up with the words to back up treeman 14 vs raincrow. But there is a wealth of Knowledge. I would just go ask jeeves.To start with

I have been getting Tree Care Industry magazine for years and they have been a wealth of knowledge for me. It is the official publication for the NAA. I'm sure you can figure out how to subscribe- it's free too.

Guys,
If someone asks for it I have no problem with you posting it. Its the stuff like "why you asking that here" come to the I*A forum or check out this forum also. Just a spam message. Or if a guy wants to ask questions on a Husky saw and thats all he's asking dont say, you can buy it online for $299 at joeschainsaw.com. If he were to say where can I buy husky chainsaws online you could put joeschainsaw.com. Get my drift boys. Sherrils pays money to sponsor arboristsite and I protect them in return. I pay money to run this site, I dont like spam messages in return. If I were to get a reciprocal link, that would be great, then I have no problems. I know you guys think its a silly rule, but you are not on the business end of the website. I*A is funded by members, I dont have any member fees. Its a big deal if I break even on this site!!! I know it maybe confusing but if someone asks for info I have no problems with it, post it.

I have to recommend all books by Alex L. Shigo. The man just KNOWS trees. His books have lots of pictures and drawings too. Also, Don Blair has written some interesting books about arboriculture. Check out Tree Equipment. Arbor Age magazine is OK, but I think Tree Care Industry is better.

Try going in this order

Shigo "Modern arobriculture"
"New Tree Biology"

Pirones "Tree management"

Harris (et al) "Arboriculture"

Clause Matheck Title illudes me

I've aranged it here so that the level of difficluty goes up. Shigo is writen with the common worker in mind who has a highschool education.

Harris assumes some knowledge.

Matheck....

The first three i read in the Milwaukee library. Then bought.

On rope is great for climbing.

s. Lilly's book is good (Oh No a gurl wrote it!)

Lyon's (et al) books on insect and diseases are something I look at regularly.

Hafta add Dirr for ID, it is skewed towards the southeastern US but still works here in MKE,WI
Symonds for looking up leaf/seed
A dicchotomus key id book haven't found one I realy like.

Lew Blocks tree law book is interesting

Many of these titles are in multiple addition so you can buy them used on line and not pay the obscean price for specialty books. Harris goes for 75-100 bucks.

John Paul has an excellent list, but like 14 says, I would add Arborist's Equip. by Don Blair. I've read mine cover to cover 3 or 4 times and referred to it countless times, plus it has a lot of great stories in it :D

i would only add the tree workers companion, or tree climbers companion. whatever it is, dont know who writes it, but it is a necessity for this business. also there is a publication that you can get with your TCI subscription, i dont know what it is called, but for you guys who get it you know what i am talkin about. usually i think it is just tips and tricks.

Tree Climber's Companion by Jeff Jepson- how could we have forgotton that one :rolleyes: Make sure you get 2nd edition-twice as much info. Everybody gets their own copy, makes smarties out of dummies :D

The ANSI standards are a must too:

ANSI Z133.1-2000, safety standard.

ANSI A300 (1), pruning standard.

ANSI A300 (2), fertilization.

ANSI A300 (3), support systems.

Tim, the standards need to be published on the internet for download. Instead of "send us $25.." They should not be a revenue sourse. PDF, Word and what ever formats are availible.

The Z-133 revision is still up as, but if we want to be seriouse about them being used industry wide...

Back