Pulling stump with rigging rings?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Weichert

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'd like to try pulling a few stumps using some HDPE rope similar to how this was done:

However, rather than buy large expensive snatch blocks, I thought I'd try using X-Ringing Rings.

Any thoughts on whether they would work in this application?

Thanks,
Mike

X rings provide friction, so you loose a little with each connection, eventually creating a brake, probably in as little as 3 or 4

Even with proper blocks you eventually create enough friction to create a brake, but it takes like 30 or 40.

Also using rope for this sort of thing is a really bad idea, as all fiber rope has some elasticity, way more then cable despite what some advertisements suggest, so the potential for a really awesome catapult is quite real

As mentioned... Rope will just stretch until everything is snug, and then some.

Even if you did it with a 12 shiv block, that rope has to stretch some..... Alot of rope and no go.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Trying to use rigging rings in place of pulleys is a bad idea. The ring itself should be spliced into a piece of Tenex or similar rope and big rings are expensive. Even if you run the rope through multiple rings the bend radius is still quite small. Rings are used to redirect or to increase friction in tree work. Pulleys are made to minimize friction. Regardless, pulling stumps over a few inches in diameter is never a good idea unless you have a VERY SHORT length of wire rope and a dozer OR have knowledge and experience with mechanical advantage systems and the proper equipment. If you are going to buy the components new and can calculate the force needed then maybe you can do it. If you are using any old parts and some old or small rope you are looking for trouble. What ever route you take have someone put the results on youtube.

Back