Pulling - uprooting a 16 inch poplar tree down with tractor or winch ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waynegrauel

Reaction score
Been reading some of the threads and the idea of uprooting the tree is one that I had not considered.
Were in Maryland. I think over 41 inches of rain this year ( totals may have been in July ). Soil is so saturated we've had major stream flooding with every storm. My neighbor had a big oak come over in his woods this summer.

I'm looking at a poplar tree - around 16 in in diameter. Top broke out years ago so it's probably 50feet tall. Sitting on the crest of a slope. I've got a 33 hp yanmar 4wd tractor with loader and tooth bucket. Ive got 150 feet of Sampson 9/16 stable braid - no nicks knots or wear.

With these soil conditions is it feasible to just pull whole thing down rather than deal with felling with tractor assist on the slight back lean - and limbs that have grown on the back side looking for sunlight

What would it take to pull this down considering the totally saturated soil. Cable ? Pulley blocks? What size winch.

If you want to get an idea of the rains were having... just this friday we had torrential rains and 3 tornadoes. Check out the flooding from October...
Thanks for your input.

Use a pulley block and attach the rope as high up as you can get it and give it a pull

Winch or tractor does not matter. Even a winch and a tractor. If you are a beginner at rigging then you likely should have a little guidance. I have pulled huge trees right out of the ground with a little 8,000 lb winch. It has about 600' of aircraft cable and 10 HP motor. A very important part of your equation is how many snatch blocks can you get your hands on. With every snatch block you can come close to doubling your pulling force. I think I used 8 one time to make a hard pull. Often it can take up to two days to set up a good pull with chains cable chokers and so on. I would be comfortable with two snatch blocks to start with like you said you have pretty much everything working for you. We sure sure could use some of your rain since we have yet to have a fall. Thanks

You are likely to abuse the rope in the process. This is an expensive piece of rope. Rope should not be used at over 10% if it's rated breaking strength or it's cycles to failure numbers go way down. A tensioned rope is like a giant slingshot and a pulley at 200mph can be deadly. You sound out of your league on this one or you wouldn't be asking the questions you are.

Back