purchasing new splitter for firewood business

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timothykamp

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I need to buy a logsplitter for a firewood business I am now running. I had probably 5-10 cords before that I borrowed a splitter for, and now i have 40+ cords of oak that need to be split. After that I can get more oak, but first i need to decide what kind of splitter i need now.<br>
<br>
I am considering spending between 1200-1600, which is a tight budget, but I think adaquate. I really would like to have a box or 4-way wedge, but can I weld that on or add that onto any of the following splitters?
Here's what I had in mind
<br>
Huskee 27-TON LOG SPLITTER<br>
or even<br>
HUSKEE 12 H.P., 35 TON LOG SPLITTER

Anyone know of a cheaper place than TSC? Any other recommendations on splitters.

timothykamp said:
I need to buy a logsplitter for a firewood business I am now running. I had probably 5-10 cords before that I borrowed a splitter for, and now i have 40+ cords of oak that need to be split. After that I can get more oak, but first i need to decide what kind of splitter i need now.<br>
<br>
I am considering spending between 1200-1600, which is a tight budget, but I think adaquate. I really would like to have a box or 4-way wedge, but can I weld that on or add that onto any of the following splitters?
Here's what I had in mind
<br>
Huskee 27-TON LOG SPLITTER<br>
or even<br>
HUSKEE 12 H.P., 35 TON LOG SPLITTER

Anyone know of a cheaper place than TSC? Any other recommendations on splitters.

Either one would be a good choice for starting out. Most vertical/horizontal combination splitters don't adapt well to a 4-way wedge. We have an Iron & Oak splitter combination vert/horiz. I bought a 4-way wedge from Northern Tool and adapted it to split wood. It goes on and off very easily. The Husky combo splitter will not accept this kind of 4-way because they have a log dislodger. Don't be afraid to spend a little more on a quality splitter as they will bring top price when you go to sell them.:greenchainsaw: :chainsaw:

if i didnt get a 4 way wedge, how about a three way or something? Maybe add a wedge perpindicular to the existing one, which would look like a T . Is this a possiblilty for splitting big logs or no. I think the splitter would have plenty of power, or i can even take the log dislodger off or modify it? Any comments

I am going to go with the 35 tonner for sure now, and picking it up today.

How many cords a year are you planning on doing? If this is going to be a real business your most valuable commodity is your labor. Don't skimp on a cheap splitter and then try and make it work like a commercial splitter. The expensive timberwolf splitters will make you gag at the sticker shock but all of that will be recouped quickly enough in saved labor. If you can split 3 times as much wood in the same time frame, isn't that better?

Try Northern Tool

I just noticed in the last couple catalogs I've received that they have got some new splitters. They look well made and you can opt for the 4-way splitting head. None will probably have quite the cycle time of the heavier Timberwolf models but your budget certainly won't get you a Timberwolf.

This one should do the trick:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200326296_200326296

MarkG

I bought the 35 tonner and am extremely satisfied with it and the power it provides. I do wish there was a way to add an additional wedge to double the capacity, im sure the cylinder could easily power it. Anyway, I was asked how many cords I was going to split and it could easily be between 30-60, mostly oak and hickory.

I saw the northern machine, but for my first splitter I wanted to go up to it and see it run (just something about kicking the tires and pulling the lever.)

Thanks for the input

Latest posts

Back