Pure dumb luck, clogged spark arrester

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ck0461

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So I picked up a non running 036 a few days ago from a local small engine shop. The saw was filthy and was purchased with 4 other junker's. I was told that it didn't have spark, so I figured it was an easy enough fix. Pulled it apart today and it has seen some use but nothing terrible. Spark test was good, but the fuel line was a way to small yellow line ran into a piece of black line at the carb. Took the correct size line off a doner saw and made a temporary grommet for the tank and attempted to start the saw. It would run but was blowing fuel out of the carb while WOT, and wouldn't idol. I had the cylinder off prior to and didn't see anything wrong. It had me baffled. I took the exhaust front off to look at the piston just to double check myself. I figured something internal was causing the issue. I set the thing down for a short break and tried to start the saw again when I got back. BINGO, fired right up. I hadn't put the front of the exhaust back on. Pulled the screen out, it looked fine but was the cause. The saw and new owner are now happy. I would have completely overlooked the screen, and it was dumb luck that I figured it out.

I hope this can help somebody with similar issues. Sometimes looks can be deceiving. Going to post pics in the you suck as soon as I give it a bath.

So I picked up a non running 036 a few days ago from a local small engine shop. The saw was filthy and was purchased with 4 other junker's. I was told that it didn't have spark, so I figured it was an easy enough fix. Pulled it apart today and it has seen some use but nothing terrible. Spark test was good, but the fuel line was a way to small yellow line ran into a piece of black line at the carb. Took the correct size line off a doner saw and made a temporary grommet for the tank and attempted to start the saw. It would run but was blowing fuel out of the carb while WOT, and wouldn't idol. I had the cylinder off prior to and didn't see anything wrong. It had me baffled. I took the exhaust front off to look at the piston just to double check myself. I figured something internal was causing the issue. I set the thing down for a short break and tried to start the saw again when I got back. BINGO, fired right up. I hadn't put the front of the exhaust back on. Pulled the screen out, it looked fine but was the cause. The saw and new owner are now happy. I would have completely overlooked the screen, and it was dumb luck that I figured it out.

I hope this can help somebody with similar issues. Sometimes looks can be deceiving. Going to post pics in the you suck as soon as I give it a bath.

Same thing happened here. I was in a pawn shop, and there sat a Stihl 029 that was priced at $250 but was marked down to $100 - tag said "won't run" Really nice looking saw. I decided to take on another project saw. As I paid for it, the shop owner said he thought it had no spark. Got it home and started to work. Pulled off the muffler and the spark screen came out. Completely clogged. Burned off the offending black soot, and put it back together. Fired right up and is a strong runner. Now it's sitting waiting for a 390 P/C.

I've seen some saws that will run ok for little while with a restricted screen then start losing power and not idle as the engine gets warmed up.
When I see a spark arrestor muffler screen I just give them a toss. (but I do not live in California)

What really got me was how clean the screen was. I really can't tell any difference between the clogged one and a brand new one off of another saw. All my other saws have them removed or a muffler mod done. I would like to have a dollar for every saw that was trashed over something so simple.

I got a “ not working “ husky weed wacker given to me. Clogged screen. Pulled it and I’ve used it a few years already.

I have had this problem with saws, backpack blower and trimmers so often that if getting one to run becomes less than simple the next thing I check is the exhaust screens and the intake screens. I sold a backpack blower to a relative a while back he came back 6 months latter with a (want run) problem. Removed the carb cover and the air intake was 4 or 5 holes at the bottom of the cover stopped up by dirt dabbers.
The weirdest thing I have ran into was a Mantis tiller. Customer brought it in and said he was using it and it was running fine then it stopped. It would not turn when you pulled the cord, but I could turn it backwards almost 360 degrees. I removed the cylinder and it had enough dirt in the top of the cylinder to keep the crank from turning 360 degrees. The only thing I could figure out was dirt dubbers went in through the muffler and the piston was down enough for them to get in the cylinder. Then down the transfers to the crankcase where the built a nest. When he cranked it it began transferring dirt to the compression chamber and when enough was transferred it stopped the piston. Needless to say It is in my shed junked for parts. Tom

Had a four wheeler that would run OK at slow speeds but choked down when getting up to cruising speed. It felt fuel or air starved. On my way to taking the carb off, I ran into this in the snorkel:

snorkel (2017_06_30 17_28_35 UTC).jpg
It had blocked all but a crescent of the snorkel. Next week I was getting an RV road ready and noticed that when I tried to run the refrigerator on propane, a large yellow flame was extending out of the fire box area. When I got the burner tube out it was plugged by the same critters. It seems there is no opening too small for them to get in. I've even had the 1/8th inch ID of the tip of a blow gun on the compressor blocked by mud.

Mud dobbers are a pain. I had to spend a few hours on a .22 LR of my fathers. Thank goodness they filled the whole barrel, chamber to muzzle. Not being able to chamber a round was probably the only reason no one was hurt. He had mice fill the air box on his ATV with grass seed too.

Latest posts

Back