Pushing limits on BAR LENGTH

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JFalconian

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a stihl 180. I’m hoping to find out the max I could use without damaging my equipment? I have a 16” on it now. I’m hoping I can push to a 20”. Any advice is appreciated .

Cannon make a 20" bar to fit that saw but to be perfectly honest 16" is pushing it for that cc class saw, I have 60cc saws which make 2.5x more hp than the MS 180 and I am running 18" on those with max 20".The problem you may run into is insufficient oiling of the bar if you go much longer than 16"
If you feel your bar is not sufficient for the wood you are cutting then you need a bigger saw with more HP.
I would consider a 50-60cc class saw if you are cutting bigger timber.

Cannon make a 20" bar to fit that saw but to be perfectly honest 16" is pushing it for that cc class saw, I have 60cc saws which make 2.5x more hp than the MS 180 and I am running 18" on those with max 20".The problem you may run into is insufficient oiling of the bar if you go much longer than 16"
If you feel your bar is not sufficient for the wood you are cutting then you need a bigger saw with more HP.
I would consider a 50-60cc class saw if you are cutting bigger timber.
Exactly what I needed to know. Thanks
In your opinion should I get a stihl, husqvarna...... in the CC class you mentioned?

I have a stihl 180. I’m hoping to find out the max I could use without damaging my equipment? I have a 16” on it now. I’m hoping I can push to a 20”. Any advice is appreciated .
Just follow the manufacturer's recommended bar lengths posted on their website for your saw.
It will show you what the maximum length bar is on there.

Exactly what I needed to know. Thanks
In your opinion should I get a stihl, husqvarna...... in the CC class you mentioned?
I would find out the best dealer in your area for saws, not the cheapest but the best in terms of service and parts.
It might be Stihl or Husky or Makita/Dolmar or Echo. Any one of those brands have good saws that will do what you need to do, but having a decent backup is a very good thing in my opinion.
Its one thing buying a saw but having a place that you can get advice and parts from is invaluable, unless of course you can do all the parts etc yourself online.

Depending on your budget, and what you anticipate cutting in the Future, in the Husqvarna line, it sounds like either the 550XP, or 562XP would be excellent choices for you.

The 550XP will pull a 20" bar just fine, Oil it too.

The 562XP, Husqvarna recommends up to a 28" bar on. Skeans, a member here on AS is a Professional faller, and speaks very Highly of the 562XP, enough so that I plan on adding a 562XP eventually to my collection, er, uhm, Addiction ;) :innocent: he regularly runs 32" bars, cutting mostly softwoods, mainly Douglas Fir and Cedar, plus a bit of Alder. If you anticipate larger wood in the future, a 562XP with a 20" bar, and a second 28" bar and a couple loops of chain, should handle anything it sounds like you are likely to cut.

If you are doing a LOT of cutting, a pro level saw, is usually money well spent, if not, a Husky 460 Rancher will take up to a 24" bar, so a 460 Rancher with a 20" or 24" bar, may suit your needs as well.

If buying from a Bricks and Mortar dealer, I believe that Husqvarna is still offering to double the warranty, from 2 years to 4 years, if you buy 3 cans of their premix fuel, on the SAME RECEIPT , when you buy the saw, that's pretty cheap, but I have been using Husky saws for almost 30 years, and have Never needed to warranty any of them.

Both Stihl and Husqvarna build Excellent saws, when I bought my first saw, my 266XP "Ol' Reliable" in 1991, I read about, looked at, and ran some of each, and talked to those I knew that had each, and felt both companies built Excellent tools, but I got more saw for my money with Husky, Stihl seems to hold true today. I have gotten excellent service out of all my Huskies, and Husky builds a saw from any need I have, so I have stuck with them, and have never regretted that decision.

Doug :cheers:

We have a few 180s at work as truck saws. 16" is all they can muster. 14 would be better. Remeber it's a 30 something cc saw. I'll attest to the husqy 562xp being a great saw. I have a 2012 getting its first rebuild. Pulls a 20" with authority. Stock would run with my ported 359 husqy all day.

Depending on your budget, and what you anticipate cutting in the Future, in the Husqvarna line, it sounds like either the 550XP, or 562XP would be excellent choices for you.

The 562XP, Husqvarna recommends up to a 28" bar on. Skeans, a member here on AS is a Professional faller, and speaks very Highly of the 562XP, enough so that I plan on adding a 562XP eventually to my collection, er, uhm, Addiction ;) :innocent: he regularly runs 32" bars, cutting mostly softwoods, mainly Douglas Fir and Cedar, plus a bit of Alder. If you anticipate larger wood in the future, a 562XP with a 20" bar, and a second 28" bar and a couple loops of chain, should handle anything it sounds like you are likely to cut.

If you are doing a LOT of cutting, a pro level saw, is usually money well spent, if not, a Husky 460 Rancher will take up to a 24" bar, so a 460 Rancher with a 20" or 24" bar, may suit your needs as well.

If buying from a Bricks and Mortar dealer, I believe that Husqvarna is still offering to double the warranty, from 2 years to 4 years, if you buy 3 cans of their premix fuel, on the SAME RECEIPT , when you buy the saw, that's pretty cheap, but I have been using Husky saws for almost 30 years, and have Never needed to warranty any of them.

Both Stihl and Husqvarna build Excellent saws, when I bought my first saw, my 266XP "Ol' Reliable" in 1991, I read about, looked at, and ran some of each, and talked to those I knew that had each, and felt both companies built Excellent tools, but I got more saw for my money with Husky, Stihl seems to hold true today. I have gotten excellent service out of all my Huskies, and Husky builds a saw from any need I have, so I have stuck with them, and have never regretted that decision.

+1 on this. The new 550 is heavier than the older one and not a whole lot lighter than the 562, so the 562 would be my choice if I needed a pro saw. The 460 is a good homeowner grade saw as well. The echo 590 is cheaper, heavier, slower but dead reliable. Dolmar/Makita is pretty much bullet proof as well. The Stihl 261 is a good value but the 362 is overpriced in my opinion.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

+1 on this. The new 550 is heavier than the older one and not a whole lot lighter than the 562, so the 562 would be my choice if I needed a pro saw. The 460 is a good homeowner grade saw as well. The echo 590 is cheaper, heavier, slower but dead reliable. Dolmar/Makita is pretty much bullet proof as well. The Stihl 261 is a good value but the 362 is overpriced in my opinion.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

I have the late edition MK1, there were some issues I've heard with the early 550XP's, that I haven't had. My 550XP, is a little slow to wake up, and smooth out from a cold start, especially if I have changed elevation significantly since I shut it down. If I need a 50 for a few quick cuts, I will grab the 353. Once the 550 wakes up and smooths out, it is a Great saw, the rest of the day, and I haven't had any "Hot Start" issues with it.

That Dayum @Skeans is a Bad Influence, and I'm gonna have to get me a 562XP, to see what he is talkin bout, he already convinced me that I "NEEDED" Full Wrap bars on the 390XP and 395XP :innocent:

I haven't had the opportunity compare the 550XP (OE) to the 550XP MKII, so I don't what the difference in weight or performance are, but I do Really Like my 550XP (OE)

Since it seems you are new here let me recommend a Stihl 880 to run a 20" bar.
But seriously if you want to try it and baby the saw so it does not overheat it should be possible. I run a 28" bar on a JD 62. Think MS311. Largest bar Stihl packages with it on the website is 20". I bought that bar so I could do CSM, it worked marginally and got the first job done before I could afford more.
Just be sure you got the oiler maxed out.

I would find out the best dealer in your area for saws, not the cheapest but the best in terms of service and parts.
It might be Stihl or Husky or Makita/Dolmar or Echo. Any one of those brands have good saws that will do what you need to do, but having a decent backup is a very good thing in my opinion.
Its one thing buying a saw but having a place that you can get advice and parts from is invaluable, unless of course you can do all the parts etc yourself online.
I totally agree. Thanks for the advice

I recently put down a 28” oak down with a Ryobi 16” bar. I wanted it down and it’s all I had at the time. It lasted a long time but I only used it for small branches. After the cut I went and got a stihl bc the ryobi as I knew was weak for what I needed. I’ve feel in loving with cutting now. So I’ll be upgrading soon. Most of the wood on my property,( I live in Southeast Louisiana) Is hard wood oaks, pine and some trash trees. I’ll be cutting a lot of hard wood here in the future.

I recently put down a 28” oak down with a Ryobi 16” bar. I wanted it down and it’s all I had at the time. It lasted a long time but I only used it for small branches. After the cut I went and got a stihl bc the ryobi as I knew was weak for what I needed. I’ve feel in loving with cutting now. So I’ll be upgrading soon. Most of the wood on my property,( I live in Southeast Louisiana) Is hard wood oaks, pine and some trash trees. I’ll be cutting a lot of hard wood here in the future.

The 562 is a good little saw so is the 555, I’ve beat the snot out of the ones we have.
4087119fd6980682b326680ac5aaec5b.jpg

abf3621522803797f01fa5285da864fe.jpg

For hardwoods out here it’s red alder mainly which loves to chair if you look at it wrong, that said that little saw keeps up just fine with it even swinging it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 562 is a good little saw so is the 555, I’ve beat the snot out of the ones we have.
4087119fd6980682b326680ac5aaec5b.jpg

abf3621522803797f01fa5285da864fe.jpg

For hardwoods out here it’s red alder mainly which loves to chair if you look at it wrong, that said that little saw keeps up just fine with it even swinging it.

That looks like a Fiskars ax, in the last pic, You not only have Good taste in saws, I like your Choppin Thangs too ;) I,ve got the Isocore maul, X27Splitting ax, the X15 Chopping ax, and in the 14" Hatchets, I have both the X7 and the Basic Black 14", as well as the 12" and 28" Pickaroons, I have really come to appreciate Fiskars quality

That looks like a Fiskars ax, in the last pic, You not only have Good taste in saws, I like your Choppin Thangs too ;) I,ve got the Isocore maul, X27Splitting ax, the X15 Chopping ax, and in the 14" Hatchets, I have both the X7 and the Basic Black 14", as well as the 12" and 28" Pickaroons, I have really come to appreciate Fiskars quality

I’ve had two and will never again for pounding wedges it sucks having the heads come flying back at you.

I’ve had two and will never again for pounding wedges it sucks having the heads come flying back at you.

I can definitely see where that would Sour a Man's attitude towards a product, I don't doubt that you drive a LOT more wedges than I do, I use mine mainly for chopping and splitting, and haven't had that experience yet, Hopefully never will

Latest posts

Back