Q's on fluids

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bogger

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I've heard a lot of different gas to oil mixtures for the saw im running, (stihl 041av super) just wondering what the right mixture is...hate to blow it up its not really my saw. Also whats a good bar oil to run, temperatures range from 30-55?
Thanks
Luke

mix

I use Stihl 50 to 1 in every saw that comes in the door with no problems. It is the oil not the saw. I know the old saws say 16 to 1 , but that was the best oil that was around at the time. Use a good 2 cycle mix that says for AIR COOLED motors and says it will mix 50 to 1 and you will be fine.

This was a topic that came up every week or two back when we only had about 20 guys posting on the chainsaw forum. Here is a typical thread on that topic.
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?threadid=1426
General consensus was to run a quality oil such as Husky, Stihl or Echo at 40-1 or 50-1 with premium fuel. You don't actually think the repair shops have more than one can of mix gas for all the equipment that comes in the door, do ya? And I guarantee that they have used a lot more mix gas than me. I've always run one mix for all my 2-cycle, including 7 years owning a lawn business. Never had a fuel related breakdown. :cool:

Hey Bogger,

I will defer to the pro's on the oil/gas ratio. I run Husky, not Stihl, I just run the 50:1 like my manual amd dealer says. I figure if that doesn't work then its a warranty problem.

As for bar oil, I still run the cold weather mix until cutting days are consistently in the 50's. Husky makes there own low-temp mix so I imagine Stihl does the same. It can get tedious on some days watching the oil flow like honey(mistakes of my inexperienced days) when i've got the winter stuff. I just keep an eye on the oil level when refueling to make sure its not running through the saw too fast. Apparently you can use more winter mix on warmer days than colder becuase of the change in viscosity due to temperature. (I don't know if there is fact to that or not). Just some suggestions based on my limited experience. The more experienced guys may have corrections to my method of work.

Bogger:

I've run 50:1 in my 041 WB since I got it 5 years ago with no problems at all. Use a quality oil (Stihl) mixed with preferrably 93 octane gas in a clean plastic gas can. And since "It's not really yours" be careful with it.:D

bogger,
i run either the husky or stihl mix 50:1. the only thing is instead of mixing 2.5 gallons of gas, make it 2 gallons of high test. this is recommended due to the fact the gas has so much oxygen in it right now. very rapid combustion may cause damage to the saw. high test runs cooler also.as far as bar lube, use bar and chain oil no matter who's name is on it. marty

Back